82 model MY Touring Wagon Fuel gauge

How to fix gremlins & general maintenance issues ...
Cliff R
General Member

82 model MY Touring Wagon Fuel gauge

Post by Cliff R » Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:58 pm

A few years ago the speedo in the original 6 gauge cluster in the 82 Touring wagon dash started going nuts.
On inspection it appears some oil made its way up the speedo cable and into the speedo.
Since this happened I have been running another cluster but I got sick of the non standard back ground lighting colour (yellow) compared to the original clusters background colour (green) a week or so ago I took a look at the original cluster and the speeds looks to be working again with no oil present so I swapped the original cluster back.
Good to have the original cluster back in but yesterday after putting only $25 worth of fuel in when the gauge was at less than quarter the gauge went up to almost full and has been slowly moving between 3/4 and 1/2 as it sees fit.
From other posts I will be looking at wiring issues especially the earth system at the sender (as per another post running an earth from the sender bolt to the chassis).
Does anyone know if new sender units are still around for the early 80's Touring wagons. It has the low fuel light too.
This is a plan B approach in case I need to change the sender over.
Is there a sender gasket that needs replacing too ?

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:46 pm

This guy on ebay usually sells brand new genuine fuel sender units, I've bought 2 from him they are great, but do not have the low fuel light wire. I haven't been able to find the 2 wire unit, never even seen one in the flesh :rolleyes: The standard single wire ones come with a new rubber gasket. He's not selling any at the moment, but keep an eye out if you can't find another 2 wire unit.
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

Cliff R
General Member

Post by Cliff R » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:09 pm

Yep, I follow this company on ebay.
I will play around with the wiring when I can to see if I can get something to change.

Proton mouse

Post by Proton mouse » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:58 am

Sounds more like an earth/power supply problem at the dash than at the sender??
Especially as you've just done work in that area.

Bantum
General Member

Post by Bantum » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:13 am

yep I concur ... :)

Do note there should be at least two wires - one going into tank ( for fuel gauge ) & one earth, with one end of earth attached to tank ring & other end to body somewhere. Yours may be slightly different if it has additional wire for the empty warn light ...

Don't have a photo of the other type you may have :

Image may get lost so will load it up somewhere else, when I get moment ... :/

Cheers, Bantum ...

Cliff R
General Member

Post by Cliff R » Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:29 pm

There are 2 wires coming off the sender and I too think the issue may be to do with the wiring on the back on the cluster. I will have a look at it when time permits.
Thanks everyone for the assistance.
If anyone comes across a sender that suits the low fuel light for sale please let me know.

Return to “Electrical, Wiring and Lighting”