Brumby Car Alarm Wiring

How to fix gremlins & general maintenance issues ...
Buddyboy

Brumby Car Alarm Wiring

Post by Buddyboy » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:11 am

I have just fitted a Rhino GTS Car Alarm to the Brumby. I have everything working except the function that detects voltage drop on the Interior Light. Has anyone fitted this type of Car Alarm or is there a Thread that I can get the info from.
Regards Buddyboy.

"Subaru, when only the best will do".

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:46 am

I have done the basic two wire crappers that seem to just detect a drop over the two wires it has, pos and neg at the battery. Some have another wire to hook up to IGN ON I think to avoid that wailing as you drive down the street :p

So, what happens, you open door, light comes on, and alarm no sound ?

Some items need to see a pos signal, some maybe an earth signal and the Brumby can be different from memory if you trying to tap into that source for a trigger which would not actualy be a voltage drop sensor, be direct switching of alarm ??

Bantum
General Member

Which wire ...

Post by Bantum » Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:59 pm

Yep - have one on mine as well, not sure which one you mean by 'detecting voltage drop using interior light' ... :confused:

One possibility is the 'normally closed' door circuit, so when its opened, turns on light. So if you have a voltage trigger on that it may cause problems with way Subaru wired it.

The other is to do as Steptoe suggest ... ;)

Cheers, Bantum ...

Bantum
General Member

Flat Battteries ...

Post by Bantum » Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:04 pm

Another problem I've come across is 'flat battery' syndrome, where the alarm system drains power from main battery, causing it to go flat - especially if left to sit for any length of time ... :(

My proposed solution ( yet to try this ) is to run alarm of a secondary battery independent of main battery, so that I can still start the car if alarm decides to not play ... :evil:

Anyone tried this ?

Ciao, Bantum ...

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:10 pm

I had this problem years ago with an "MY" wagon. I can't remember if it was a diode or a resistor that was soldered in place with the Interior Light. What ever it was made the alarm trip when the door opened.

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:22 pm

I had a wireless system that was a painus in the anus. Stupid thing plugged in cig lighter, a charge would last about five days. It was the total sensor to trigger alarm, suction, vibration and alarm unit itslef was powered direct at battery and that connection had the voltage sensor stuff. Only ever heard a whoop whoop siren while setting things, then was getting phone call complains while I was away that my car was running all manner of electronic whoopy - denied it was mine due to it not have a repetoire - until I tested it out one night in the dead of night. Battery must have been ropping voltage all on its own, triggering what I rate as a pos. It went through all alarm modes ever invented, then reset for another show Gone .... gave it the flick.

Not much help are we, but yeah TOONGA may have it, if you have hooked up to door light wire, bugger changes its polarity I think, between open and closed door !!

Buddyboy

Post by Buddyboy » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:28 pm

Thanks Guys, with your suggestions I started tracing wires, but I have finally solved the problem. The Harness they supply has two Red Wires, one to power the Brain Box the other possibly to power the Siren. I had both connected to the Power side of the Internal Light Fuse, at the Fuse Box. White Wire that runs from the Fusible Link. Once I figured out which Red Wire powers the Brain Box, I cut the other at the Fuse Box. Provided the Interior Light is switched on and controlled by the the door switch, when the alarm is on and the door is opened the Siren sounds. The Brain Box feed (Red Wire) must be able to detect the drop in voltage that is drawn from one side of the Interior Light Fuse to the other. It must be pretty sensitive because I checked the difference in voltage when the Interior Light is on and off and is approximately 0.48 volts. Once again the Forum has come to the rescue.
Regards Buddyboy.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:29 am

so, to steal your car, squirt water in at door switch, spray freeze stuff, freeze wet switch .... make sure both or all door switches work too !

Visible steering lock is said to be 90% deterrent

Buddyboy

Post by Buddyboy » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:43 pm

Soon as you move the Brumby, the alarm goes off, open the any door, the alarm goes off, smash the window, the alarm goes off, open the bonnet, the alarm goes off. Yes a steering wheel lock is a great deterrent and comes in handy at roar rage situations, just joking of course about the road rage bit.
Regards Buddyboy.

Return to “Electrical, Wiring and Lighting”