wiring a lightbar to a 2000 liberty

How to fix gremlins & general maintenance issues ...
outback_98

wiring a lightbar to a 2000 liberty

Post by outback_98 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:57 pm

which wire is the highbeam wire to hook to the lightbar,it will work on low beam but not on highbeam i cant figure it out need help asap plz :)

legacytt

Lights

Post by legacytt » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:32 pm

You need to wire the negative and positive wires from the relay into the respective wires from the back of one headlight. It is not earthed to the body like early models.
Gen 1 Legacy GT 3inch lift and 28's

dfoyl

Post by dfoyl » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:46 pm

Pretty sure it is illegal to use light bar's with high beams. I know when I wired mine up recently that I made sure it only worked on the low beam circuit for that reason.
1989 Brumby - Shiny new red paint, stroked EJ20 phase 2 SOHC with Darton sleeves bored to EJ22, Wiseco high-compression pistons, Delta 2000 grind cams , EJ/XT6 5 stud with WRX 4/2 pots, 5-speed, 86 GTS seats and so much more.
Contact me for reproduction XT6 hubs...and EA82 rear discs.

outback_98

Post by outback_98 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:39 pm

thanks lagacytt,I try that and see how I go :)

Bantum
General Member

Fact check :

Post by Bantum » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:09 pm

This from QG vehicle standards : http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Safety/Vehicl ... rmits.aspx
Requirements for the fitting fitment and use of driving lamps including Light Emitting Diode (LED) Light Bars on Vehicles, excluding motor bikes and motor trikes :
• The lamps should, as far as is possible, be installed symmetrically in pairs to the front of the vehicle.
• If lamps are not fitted as pairs (e.g. one, three etc.), they must be fitted to the front of the vehicle, symmetrically about the centre.
• The lamp/s must be installed in a way that the light produced does not cause the driver of the vehicle discomfort either directly or by reflection.
• The lamp/s must only come on when the main-beam (high beam) headlamps are used, and must automatically turn off when the main-beam headlamps are turned off.

Note : This exemption from complying with a part of ADR13/00 only applies in Queensland and may not be recognised in other states or territories. Vehicle operators who travel between states and territories must ensure that lamps fitted to their vehicles comply with the requirements in each state or territory.
So they're not illegal ... :rolleyes:

P.S. - I'd use the wiring kit, relay & switch that usually come with it ... :)

Cheers, Bantum ...

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:51 pm

dfoyl wrote:Pretty sure it is illegal to use light bar's with high beams. I know when I wired mine up recently that I made sure it only worked on the low beam circuit for that reason.
Nah you're pulling our leg right?

Light bars should ONLY be wired to work on high beam - treat them exactly the same as you would a set of driving lights. No two ways about it!

Also remember that subarus from L series onwards are negatively switched ;) That makes wiring a little bit different to do. Follow this diagram:

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

outback_98

Post by outback_98 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:43 am

yes i know they are only attached to high beam ;) thanks im bout to head out and try it again lol

outback_98

Post by outback_98 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:35 pm

What color is the negative is it green or black wires?

How is it earthed?
There are green red and black wires.the relay on the lightbar is sealed?
Can't figure it out

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:32 pm

low beam is yellow/red is
High beam is red/black (RHS) & red (LHS)
common power is blue/white (RHS) & red/ble (LHS)

Remember the high & low beam wires are earth wires & the common wire is battery
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Owner SubieLiftOz, lift kits for Subarus :twisted:

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

outback_98

Post by outback_98 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:41 pm

Yeah we have a forester and impreza they are the same this liberty is totally different to any Subis I had Beforenhencenwhy I can't figure it out

outback_98

Post by outback_98 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:08 pm

What do I earth it to,the battery?

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:59 am

You earth it to a good earth point on the chassis. You'll see a heap of them around the engine bay, just undo one, clean it up a bit and add your own.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

outback_98

Post by outback_98 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:48 pm

I know mate but not on this vehicle doesn't work

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:14 pm

Are you sure you have the right wires from the high beam? Its negatively switched remember so current goes from common power through light to separate high/low beam earths.

You have to run 85 on the relay from the high beam wire (earthed remember); 86 to your dash switch to ignition; 30 to a fuse from the battery+; 87 to the driving lights
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

wagonist

Post by wagonist » Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:12 pm

The easiest way is to both sides of the relay trigger (ie pins 85 & 86) from the back of the headlight.
Find which 2 of the wires have 12V across them when the high beam is on.

If you wire them up this way, then it doesn't matter if the lights are earth switched, or power switched.
The only drawback to this method is the need to run 2 wires into the cabin from the engine bay to have them legal with a separate switch (ie one of the 2 wires from the headlight to the relay needs to go back in).
With a bit of playing around with a multimeter though, you can trace the high beam wire back into the cabin. Unplug both headlights, and then also the indicator/combination switch & trace the wires looking for "conductivity".
Current rides:
JDM GTII Touring wagon
88 RX Turbo Full-time 4wd touring wagon project - 97 Toyota Caldina GTT (turbo 4wd WRX eater:twisted:) - Hyundai Excel Rally Car:confused::???:
Previous rides:
93 Legacy GT wagon - 85 RX Turbo Full time 4wd Touring Wagon - 85 GL AWD sedan
96 Toyota Caldina wagon

Bantum
General Member

Post by Bantum » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:53 pm

This might help :

Cheers, Bantum ...

Return to “Electrical, Wiring and Lighting”