ignition coil

How to fix gremlins & general maintenance issues ...
Vortex75

ignition coil

Post by Vortex75 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:06 am

Hey guys, looking at getting a new coil for 89 Vortex turbo. I was looking at a bosch gt40, would this do the job or is it a special kind of coil?
Canny
89 VortexXT 4WD Turbo

Tweety
General Member

Post by Tweety » Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:27 pm

Hi Vortex,

I have a ea81. I have a MSD master blaster 2 coil that I've considered putting back on my engine for a while now.

But, the possibility of module damage worries me. Also why arent manufacturers installing such coils when they make the car?

I have a thread on USMB on this posted recently if you want to read it called "high output coils"

I wrote to MSD recently with my concerns and they emailed me back "the mb2 is suitable for your engine". I'm still not convinced. Why? Because no technical information was provided. And-

The stock coil (I bought one from Frog) has a primary resistance of 1.1 ohms. The master blaster coil has 0.7 ohms 60% less. That has to have an effect on the module IMO.

Also, according to the great GD General Disorder, a guy that seems to be one of the guru's in this game - he said air and fuel has a lot more to do with engine output than spark (providing your ignition system is in good working order. So would you be getting 1-2 hp for the sake of risking your module and other issues? Is it worth it? I dont think so.

Read up a lot more on this topic before leaping to buy a higher output coil. Have a read.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/top ... put-coils/
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Tweety trike- EA81 (full reco 2014) 32/36 weber, SPFI manifold, 9.5:1 CR, VW auto.

Gazza01

Post by Gazza01 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:58 am

I don't know if the EA81 Brumby coil is that same but I got a TRIDON coil TIM-033 was OK. Just go to the TRIDON site and check.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:28 am

same part number for 87 onwards MY for all EA82 mpfi whether it be Vortex or L sedan wagon, turbo or not.

Tweety
General Member

Post by Tweety » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:51 pm

Gazza, went onto the Tridon site and there is no mention of the specifications of that coil.

This is what I see as a major issue in the auto industry. Lack of specs.

For manufacturers to claim "more spark, more voltage more HP etc" where is the data? There seems a common view that no matter the output voltage of any coil the voltage at the plugs will be the same or near the same. If this is the case then there can only be negatives in going to any aftermarket coil. There are views that going to iridiums is a good move but doubt that it is worth the extra $$$

As for easier starting well my newly rebuilt ea81 with new coil and new module, reco dizzy etc starts first pop every time. So why a need to improve it? If someone has an ea81 that is hard to start then there are reasons of maintenance IMO.

That leaves me to believe that higher output coils (usually with less resistance of the primary part of the coil ) (1.1 ohms is stock) about say 0.7 ohms as my master blaster 2 coil has, is toying for trouble. Higher output coils can overheat components like modules not meant for more voltage (although they might well be hardy little beasts) and you might lose power over a short time. Then you have the task of searching for the problem.

I'm no mechanic, not an auto elec, but I've been in this situation many times as a young guy. My most clearest memory of upgrading a car item was in 1976 with a VC Valiant. everyone was putting munroe pump up shocks on there rear suspension. The result? my floor where the shock bolted to- bent. And my boss said "if Chrysler thought they were ok why didnt they put them on themselves" that stuck with me. So now having had a MB2 coil on a few years ago I'm sceptic it was a wise move. I hope you have no issues but you'll only know when you start to lose power.

Hence the reason for stock. There is a lot more to bolting on a different type of coil than just that. One mod usually leads to another. My thread on USMB hasnt given me proof that its a wise move upgrading. Vortex75 its a gamble. The stock coil is my recommendation. New NGK plugs gapped right, 8mm leads, a sound dizzy and connections. Then spend your money on other engine components.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Tweety trike- EA81 (full reco 2014) 32/36 weber, SPFI manifold, 9.5:1 CR, VW auto.

Return to “Electrical, Wiring and Lighting”