MY headlight issue - high beam on all the time!

How to fix gremlins & general maintenance issues ...
El_Freddo
Master Member

MY headlight issue - high beam on all the time!

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:12 pm

G'day all,

Need to sort out a little problem that developed last night.

Redback (Brumby) has an issue with dipping down to low beam. She will only hold high beam.

Dad is with the vehicle and has replaced the switch that you use to turn on the lights as well as the dipper switch on the column. Still no change :(

We're baffled as to what the issue is. We have found out that someone previous to us has added a set of relays into the system. These too are a little confusing as to whether they switch high beam for the quad lights or they each do high or low beam.

Either way swapping relays here has done nothing. Dad says the relays under the dash can be felt to click, I'm skeptical on these as I reckon one may have done something and while it clicks it's still closing the circuit.

Even with those extra relays everything was working fine for the last 6ish months.

Does some know what the exact issue might be? Really need this sorted as the Brumby is needed tomorrow for some night driving!

Any input appreciated and thanks in advance!

Regards

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:46 pm

Ok soluti

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:52 pm

Ok solution found: the issue was something in the LHS combination light was allowing a power feed into the high beam circuit.

Swapped this out for another and all high beam issues are resolved! Crazy.

Dad can't see what's wrong with the light but says he can see some flakes of glass floating around in there. I'll be keen to check it out next time I'm home.

Poor bugger put the best part of a day into this - now he has to put the kick panels back in and work out how to remove the grill with the bull bar in place as the outer middle posts make it difficult to get a screw driver in to remove the lower screw.

Glad it's sorted though! My thoughts are the low beam filament has broken and the positive side of this has made earth on the high beam filament which has then fired up the high beam circuit. Dunno how, but that's the theory in my head.

Cheers

Bennie

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:45 am

done well. I had same issue but with H4 insert style high beams installed earthing out due to the non insulated nature of the back of the light to the spring clip to bulb base !! wastd just as many hours and follicles as your dad looking for the fix!

Bantum
General Member

Circuits ...

Post by Bantum » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:15 am

Yes I would concur with your diagnosis Bennie, as most filament type bulbs have a certain hour life rating before burning out. When it does eventually go, it may also trip the other light as it is on the same circuit for Hi/Low Beam ... :eek:

P.S. - There's a circuit diagram floating around here somewhere if you want to find it ... ;)

Cheers, Bantum ...

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat May 02, 2015 7:32 pm

Yeah never come across this before!

Might be time to look into the semi sealed light units - just replace the globe rather than the whole light as I'm running out of spares!!

I'm 90% sure these lights are the same dimensions as other vehicles of the 80's that ran a quad light system.

Cheers

Bennie

Return to “Electrical, Wiring and Lighting”