HOW TO: change the power window main switch

How to fix gremlins & general maintenance issues ...
pezimm

HOW TO: change the power window main switch

Post by pezimm » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:19 pm

Hi all,

I know, a bit basic but who knows? It might come in handy for someone...

I had a failure on the driver's window switch, where it would come up but wouldn't stop once the switch was released. This, as I learned, can lead to window actuator motor failure, so if you have the same symptom, be sure to slightly push back the switch until you hear the relay disengaging.

Anyways, solution is to replace the switch (I opted for buying a new Power Window Main Switch from a Subaru dealer. It set me back $277, :evil:) and the steps to follow are below:

Locate the black cap cover at the bottom of the door handle

Un-clip it open with a small flat-head screw-driver (recommend covering the tip with masking tape to prevent damage), then remove the screw

Pry the entire plastic piece off being careful to pull the 2 clips out without breaking it. Note the 2 narrow openings on the door panel where the clips mount

Unclip the electrical harnesses and unscrew the main switch, replacing with the new one and reinstall the plugs back.

Fit everything back in reverse order and make sure you dispose the faulty switch sensibly :D

GONE :( - Forester XT Auto - MY07 with all the goodies
Now occasionally driving a Ford barge...

Bantum
General Member

Like ...

Post by Bantum » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:37 pm

Just for interest sake I'd pull the cover off the faulty switches & see what's inside ( would also keep it as a spare ) then report back here with your findings ... ;)

Cheers, Bantum ...

Return to “Electrical, Wiring and Lighting”