Aircon Install

How to fix gremlins & general maintenance issues ...
lowace

Aircon Install

Post by lowace » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:26 am

Not sure if I'm in the right area but I am looking at buying a 1992 Lseries wagon but it has no aircon. My question is is this a big job to install if I were to locate one at the wreckers and remove the whole shebang and put in. I am quiet capable of doing it myself but was just wondering if it were worth the effort or just wait for one to come up with aircon.

tony

Post by tony » Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:38 am

yes it is a big job requires a major work over on the dash etc. if you really must do it buy a complete car wreck with a a/c and transfer the bits and pieces you wind the cables to the vent system are different, there are valves and vacuum hoses and different switches and heaps of small things. unless the car on offer is something special i would suggest you look for one with air, even if it needs work at least it is all there.

lowace

Post by lowace » Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:59 am

Thanks for the reply Tony I have bought the car already as it was a good buy with low kms. I will just have to either put up with the heat or have a crack at the install. There are plenty at the wreckers here in Orange I'm sure I can rape all the parts I need.

tambox

Post by tambox » Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:02 pm

It depends on your capabilities, the A/C system is an add on extra and is relatively easy to remove and swap. Just make sure you get all the parts, there are a few.
If you have never done this sort of stuff, it would be a challenge, but if you understand basic wiring and how an A/C works, its simple.
Good luck.
L serious, still.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:14 am

tambox wrote:It depends on your capabilities, the A/C system is an add on extra and is relatively easy to remove and swap. Just make sure you get all the parts, there are a few.
If you have never done this sort of stuff, it would be a challenge, but if you understand basic wiring and how an A/C works, its simple.
Good luck.
^ What Tambox said.

Easiest way to go other than buying a vehicle with it already installed is to find a donor vehicle either at the yard or as a complete vehicle purchase.

Trace all wiring and remove it - you'll need it! Do not mix and match your AC system as there are several out there and some of the kits use different types of thread setups etc. I've been caught out with this before :(

Basically use everything from the donor vehicle that you need - having a donor vehicle at home is probably the easiest way to go (and possibly cheaper than buying all the parts from the wreckers!), if you miss something it's easy to get that bit off the donor in the back yard ;)

I've added AC to one of our Brumbys successfully - and with the help of Tambox got the AC in my EJ'd L series running again!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Return to “Electrical, Wiring and Lighting”