Intermittent Wiper Brumby Install

How to fix gremlins & general maintenance issues ...
henpecked

Intermittent Wiper Brumby Install

Post by henpecked » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:47 pm

for original info and pics please read these threads

Who has MY/Brumby with intermittent wipers?
Intermittent Wiper Module
I want intermittent wipers
Intermittant Wiper Setup

Required

1) one intermittent wiper switch from MY Coupe/sedan or Wagon ( wagon pictured below) with 2 x blue 6 pin plug(s)

2) one intermittent wiper module can with same blue or white plug inserted and some wire still in that plug. ( so some wire tracing can be performed if necessary)

3) and ( of course ;)) a series 2 (1985-1992) Brumby with no intermittent wipers

Steps

1) Remove the under dash plastic trim panel under the steering column, it has about 3-4 screws holding it and a plastic tab at its back (towards front of vehicle).

2) Remove the coin tray that’s on the right side of the steering wheel.

3) You need to plug the new switch into the old wiring, just exchange it for the existing switch.

. . To remove/replace the existing switch, -

. 3a) pull the two piece existing switch cover HARD away from the steering column, this can be done one at a time or BOTH at once.

. 3b) Undo the nut that is now exposed with a shifter, and you should then be able to -

. 3c) pull the existing plug out from underneath/behind.

. 3d) Then disconnect that plug from the plug M/F joins and

. 3e) reconnect the new switch into the same loom plugs.

. 3d) Mount in your ex-sedan, coupe or wagon switch, by pushing it back up into place on the column mount,

. 3e) re-tighten nut,

. 3f) and then press the new switch cover firmly onto the switch shaft.

Note 1: The wagon switch has the rear wiper and water spray control on it as well - but at least it works. If you are an auto electrical expert you could use this to run two relays for fogs or spotties or photon torpedoes for right lane hogs, or suchlike.

Note 2: Access to the switch may be easier with the steering column temporarily dropped by being unbolted from its upper under-dash support – but not essential if you have very small hands ;) – be careful as this may pull the column out of the uni-joint steering knuckle in the engine bay if the knuckle was left loose by some dodgy amphetamine-addled bogan mechanic.

4) Then under the dash to the right hand side ( or often visible behind the coin tray gap) you should find a 6 pin plug ( has been coloured pink or white) with a white or yellow wire coming out of one pin straight back onto another pin (Looping) as originally pictured by member Steptoe below.

. 4a) Remove this looped plug and

. 4b) plug the flasher can into it's spot

. 4c) fix/mount the flasher can to something reasonably solid so no stress is placed upon the electrical connections

And it should all start working :shock::D:D

steptoe's pics from another thread

(female) rear of looped male cable plug

rear of female plug the looped plug was in.

Note 3: I have found that intermittent generally only works when the car ignition is turned to “on”. High and low speed wiper should also work on accessories, but it appears that intermittent does not work when ignition is on ACC, I do know that is the case in my 84 touring MY wagon, don't know about the coupe or sedan.

If all else fails – give it to an auto electrician - may want to find an electrical diagram for them as well

Return to “Electrical, Wiring and Lighting”