Fuel pumps carb/Eli

How to fix gremlins & general maintenance issues ...
pzs

Fuel pumps carb/Eli

Post by pzs » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:49 pm

Are the fuel pumps same for Eli and carb ea82 Leon's?

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:39 pm

No

EFI pumps provide in excess of 40psi, carb pumps around 5psi
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:43 pm

no they are not

this is similar to what the EA82 carby model uses
http://www.theautochannel.com/autoparts ... 21655.html

and this is similar to the EFI EA82 uses

http://www.mdsperformance.com.au/produc ... mp-PIP-319

As well the carby fuel pump is 3-4 psi while the EFi fuel pump is 30+ psi

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

pzs

Post by pzs » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:38 am

is there generic pump I can easily get from repco that will be a spare if oem pump lets go?

drive old wreck from mel- aspings next week

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:05 am

Efi or Carby?
Bosch 070 for Efi. You might want some 12mm fuel hose and an elbow fitting too cos the subaru pump has a right angle entry, Bosch is straight.
Just any universal Carby pump for Carby.

Sent from my new touchy phone thingy
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:39 pm

pzs wrote:is there generic pump I can easily get from repco that will be a spare if oem pump lets go?

drive old wreck from mel- aspings next week
Sure there is one at SCA etc, you have to start a thread "Bomb drive from Melbourne to the Alice" and fill it in as you pass towns, find a library to post up ya progress. Tambox ! Look out for this on your travels !

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:59 pm

For EFI there is the trusty old "VL Turbo" commodore pump. I believe it's actually a Bosch but is actually cheaper to buy from Holden. Good to run just about anything.

The original EFI pump in an L series does run an EJ20turbo totally fine too.

pzs

Post by pzs » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:31 pm

steptoe wrote:Sure there is one at SCA etc, you have to start a thread "Bomb drive from Melbourne to the Alice" and fill it in as you pass towns, find a library to post up ya progress. Tambox ! Look out for this on your travels !
I'll give a trip report on my return, and add gps location where I left it to board a greyhound bus.

pzs

Post by pzs » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:46 pm

is it safe to use throttle body electrical cleaner on all connectors and throttle housing, I have heard that this can do more damage than good?

pzs

Post by pzs » Sat May 10, 2014 4:15 pm

trip report

pick up car from whittlesea nth melbourne and drove it back to Alice. And depart Whittlesea on the 8th may at 0545am for Alice.

What i did... replace fuel pump and filter, oil and filter change, spark plugs, belts and check water pump bearings, check alt and replace battery, pump the tyres up, and filled the empty radiator with copper block seal as recommended else where, car ran hot for 1st 50km and the block seal fillled in for the blown head gasket. got to port augusta and temp started to rise, hard wire aux fan to fun constant. over heated between Coober Pedy and Marla , in 50 km i stopped 8 times to fill up water and let it cool down, (took almost 6hrs) used all my water 10 ltrs, stopped a motor home and got 2 lts water. I managed to get to Marla with it boiling for last 20km, let it cool and removed thermostat....thermostat had jammed closed due to the copper block filler. removed thermostat and traveled at night (cooler temps) the last 400km into alice at 120km/hr on 3cyl, arrived 0130AM on the 9th May,The last 4hrs the temp gauge was black out with electical tape...so I didn't keep looking at it(or else I would hit a roo)
The car was bought sight unseen, lots of rust, noisy welded rear diff, some horrible noise coming from gearbox and car was not run for a number of years...but it got me home, you can't kill these old things.

The main lesson learn't was If you are in remote country, cover your temperature gauge so you do not constantly look at it, all will be good.

Return to “Electrical, Wiring and Lighting”