NA mpfi EA82 just 2 wire TPS !

How to fix gremlins & general maintenance issues ...
steptoe
Master Member

NA mpfi EA82 just 2 wire TPS !

Post by steptoe » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:16 pm

Yep, found I have an EA82 mpfi throttle body with just two wires in the loom. Suspect it was from my NA mpfi Touring Wagon. Were they this basic ? Two wires? That is all that was in the loom !!

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:37 pm

Photos?

I had an 88 MPFI tourer and it had 2 plugs to the tps, one was for the throttle switch, the other for the potentiometer throttle position sensor
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:16 pm

Sounds like a throttle switch.. not a TPS
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:19 am

I'm 99% sure all of my "series II (hotwire AFM)" MPFI systems have three wires.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

wagonist

Post by wagonist » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:17 pm

I've seen 3, 4, & 5 wires, but never 2.

Series 1 TPS didn't have a potentiometer, just an idle & full throttle switch. So that's 2 wires, but there still should be a power wire to go with that.

The spider manifold engine I've got has a 4 pin plug, but is missing the TPS as it was wired up in an earlier Vortex. Now I'm trying to adapt my 5 pin TPS into that loom...
Current rides:
JDM GTII Touring wagon
88 RX Turbo Full-time 4wd touring wagon project - 97 Toyota Caldina GTT (turbo 4wd WRX eater:twisted:) - Hyundai Excel Rally Car:confused::???:
Previous rides:
93 Legacy GT wagon - 85 RX Turbo Full time 4wd Touring Wagon - 85 GL AWD sedan
96 Toyota Caldina wagon

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:58 pm

No pictures now, imageshack want to share my income. I'll have to find that two wire and report on wire colours

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:41 am

Don't you have a photobucket account now?
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:10 pm

Yes, but that needle is now somewhere in the haystack. Hatstack just became an L Sedan worse this week. Body and all other L crap gone, jammed inside the 2 cubic meter garbage bin the body turned into :)

Not going anywhere are you ?

Have you been attending touch typing classses out there in no mans land ? Bloody lot o freplies by you tonight, so far!

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:36 pm

I've spent a whole day replying to posts due to not having access to AUSubaru for the last 29 days.. do you know how hard that is for me :evil:

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sat May 10, 2014 6:07 pm

While Paul is still in the house

grey ringed injectors - has to be from the 89 mpfi NA Tourer. Only two wires out of the sleeve, only two connectors in the plug - room for a third though

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sun May 11, 2014 11:45 am

Ok. I'd say it's a throttle switch as apposed to a throttle position switch. Grab a multimeter and test the switch first for resistance then for conductivity.

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:10 am

found this discussion between Disco and another USMB member

The Spider TPS can be made to work with the Hotwire MAF system easily. Basically, both are potentiometer types with a Power, a signal, a ground and an idle switch that gets grounded at closed throttle. on the 3+3 type, if you look carefully, the plug that goes right onto the TPS only has 2 wires in it(so really it's 2 +3). It is the idle switch portion. One wire is ground, the other carrys the grounded signal back to the ECU to tell it that the throttle is closed. The 3 seperate wires are a gound, a power, and a signal form the potentiometer portion. To make this style work with a Spider TPS you just need to combine the 2 ground wires(or just cut ff one of them, since they are already combined further up the harness) and match the remaining 3 to their respective pins(power, signal, Idle) on the Spider TPS.

As far as using a Spider TPS with the older type, I can't see how it would work. The old style is not a potentiometer. It has an idle switch and a wide open throttle switch. the standard(non-spider) TPS from the newer type (3+3)has the same idle switch and may even have the WOT switch inside it as well(the unused pin) They seem to be a hybrid, almost as if they added the 3 wire pigtail as a retrofit. So it's possible that it would plug and play onto the old system.

But the spider ones are totally different and have no WOT switch. It may run the older style to an extent, but you will never get WOT signal so may run lean under full throttle. On the old style when the idle switch is off, but the WOT switch hasn't been activated, the computer uses the MAF and the O2 sensor to determine fuel mixture.

I also have one of those alleged 3+3 TPS somewhere, must look next time I get a cave in - study items more closely as I dig self out :p

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:25 pm

Spider TPS is quite like the EJ TPS

Adrian I believe adapted the older type throttle body on the spider manifold and mounted it upside down so the throttle cable pulled the right way.
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:40 pm

He did indeed - had a plate welded on manifold to bolt 3 plug ECU throttle body to, smae size throttle plate

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:21 am

I would say this 2 wire is off a 1986 Vortex because these used the early EFI system and from memory anything after 1987 was completely different. Easiest way to spot the difference was the Air Flow Meter. Unfortunately I no longer have my EA82 EFI from my 89 L.Series to check the wiring for you but I suspect mine would have had 3 wires.

The grey injectors I'm not sure about Jonno. This is only on the EJ series. I'm 99% sure all the EA injectors were the same.

Can I ask what you are trying to achieve? this might be better to help you with an answer ;)

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:33 am

achieve ?? Probably a bit more head space not thinking about why I thoughtit'd have three wires, then spied just two wires - al about trivia sharing :)

1% room for error. If I take a pic of red and grey injectors from EA NA and T, side by side - we might all remember a little better :p :D - waste a little more head space for anyone who looks !

Think you might be right about early Vortex. Have seen one, mpfi and it had a dizzy with, sure it was the twin ports on its vacuum canister ??
And yer wrong about it bing off a Vortex of any kind - came off 89 mpfi NA TW when I pulled it

Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:58 am

My 86 MFPI has three wires. One common, One is closed at idle and the other is closed at about half throttle. Maybe subaru Got creative and used the single switch for both positions. Opens just off throttle and closes again at half stick.

Doug

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:03 pm

Ok, so maybe it's the other way round. I don't have mine to check against anymore. I have my Tex but she's probably in 3 foot of grass right now :(

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Return to “Electrical, Wiring and Lighting”