L Series Spotties

How to fix gremlins & general maintenance issues ...
alx92

L Series Spotties

Post by alx92 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:41 pm

G'day guys, spent yesterday wiring up the 100w spotties on Scoob so theyd operate on high beam with the legally required cut off switch etc, following the diagram provided with the wiring kit + dad's guiding wisdom. I found the wire in the combo switch which turns the high beam on connected everything up turned on the ignitionand the spotties turned on. Turns out the wiring for the high beam is hot on acc/ign, cold with the headlights on, then hot again for the high beam :confused:

Has anyone else had this problem, or is my wagon just reeallly reeeally special, and howd you work around it?

Much appreciated, Alex
THE WEEKEND WARRIOR: Scooby- "90 L-Series 'Sportswagon' Alloy B/Bar; with 2" lift, 14" sunnies with BFG's, stainless snorkel

THE DAILY DRIVE: "Thor" "89 Liberty GX Sedan, Auto FWD, 16" mags, 5" cannon
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

spike
General Member

Post by spike » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:56 pm

we found this sort of thing on the rally car, basically we were getting interference.

had no control over the spots for one rally, that was a serious downer.
We ended up putting 3 more relays in but im unsure where or why, all i know is it fixed the issues

purp

Post by purp » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:44 pm

Early subarus (all subarus?) are wired so that the headlights are negitivly switched. There are a couple of good threads with wiring diagrams. Sorry I can't link to one as I'm posting from my phone, but I will later if no one else gets in first.

MTB92

Post by MTB92 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:21 pm

There was a post about 2 days ago where this was covered, gannon posted a riper wiring diagram. Or google 'earth switched relay wiring'. On these cars the connecton is earth switched as opposed to the normal positive switch which is the type of ddiagram yoy would have had.

spike
General Member

Post by spike » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:29 pm

oh yeah forgot about that too

Also if you havent already look at upgrading your standard headlights, from the stories ive heard the original lights run power through the switch not a relay, so instead of getting 12V at the lights they get close to 9 or less with age.

Lots of threads on how to fix this too, possibly in GANNONs post

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:46 pm

Here ya go
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

alx92

Post by alx92 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:53 pm

hahah thanks for that guys, just found that diagram in one of the other threads, champion i can fix that up now
THE WEEKEND WARRIOR: Scooby- "90 L-Series 'Sportswagon' Alloy B/Bar; with 2" lift, 14" sunnies with BFG's, stainless snorkel

THE DAILY DRIVE: "Thor" "89 Liberty GX Sedan, Auto FWD, 16" mags, 5" cannon
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Return to “Electrical, Wiring and Lighting”