alternator queries.

How to fix gremlins & general maintenance issues ...
El_Freddo
Master Member

alternator queries.

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:51 am

G'day all.

I've been thinking over this one for a while now, then once on here forget about it! Until now :D

I'm wondering if an alternator can be modified to up its maximum output or do I have to buy one that's already built from the factory to a higher rating?

I'm asking this as I'm running so many accessories these days that even just cruising at night with the EJ engine management gear, factory high beams and three 130W driving lights has the battery's voltage sitting on about 12.4/12.8V Add the thermo fans and I drop another .2V
I don't know what it runs when I have the Engel and cooler all running at the same time as I've not tried that yet with the new volt metre I've got.

So I'm wanting to upgrade my alternator to something with a higher output. Has anyone got any ideas? I've heard of the H6 alternator being 100amp but I don't know if I would be able to get the matching plug so I can wire it into Ruby Scoo, plus I can't afford a new H6 alternator!

I've got no room for a second alternator either, plus I don't know how to wire this in with the original alternator.

Any info is much appreciated!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

mattl200

Post by mattl200 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:14 pm

trying to up the output of your current will most likely kill it
i would be be looking at trying to lower your consumption or fit a bigger battery for some more storage

i run an ej and a waeco fridge with 35w hid lights and a 700cca battery with no problems

and have on occasions charged my camping battery in the car century n200 from a drill rig

chears
Mat
- 92 brumby, ej22, MT5AWD, lseries low range, centre diff lock, glf5 dash, 5 stud conversion
lifted 3" front 2" rear all rolling round on 27" khumo Kl71's
more in progress ie:adaptronic ecu and sc14 supercharger

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:17 pm

mattl200 wrote:trying to up the output of your current will most likely kill it
Thanks mate - i was talking about a full overhaul, not messing with the regulator or something...

As for consumption, I do need to get my dual battery system finished off. The main battery is 550CCAs made by Super Charge I think it is.

What make is your battery @ 700CCAs?

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Return to “Electrical, Wiring and Lighting”