Error Codes for early EJ series (Liberty/Legacy/SVX/Impreza/OB)

How to fix gremlins & general maintenance issues ...
Point

Post by Point » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:07 am

nobody knows?
90 Brumby - Stalled EJ project
98 Forester GX
02 Forester XS Luxury

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Wed May 09, 2012 9:59 pm

Point wrote:Having problems with my '98 SF Forrie atm. It is throwing code 54, and idles like it has a big lumpy cam in it (I wish). Now according to the start of this thread, that code corresponds to 'choke control circuit'. However I'm not sure whether the Foz has the same codes as the early EJ computers as this thread refers to. The only online manuals I can find seem to be american, and their SF Forries had OBDII. Is there a manual or supplement specific to the Aussie SF?

Secondly.... If it is the 'choke control circuit', which bit do I hit with the hammer to make it work?
Point wrote:nobody knows?
I can try but I've never seen this code come up on your model. Your model uses the Select Monitor system (which is a Subaru version of the OBD one model) not the OBDII system. Can you tell me how you got the code 54 out of your car?
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Wed May 09, 2012 10:11 pm

Copy paste from the 2001 SF Forester FSM

Code 54- Air intake system. Because the ducts and hoses on air intake line are loosened
or damaged, the pressure sensor signal is abnormal.
<Ref. to EN(SOHCw/
oOBD)-108, DTC 54 —
AIR INTAKE SYSTEM
—, Diagnostic Procedure
with Diagnostic
Trouble Code (DTC).>

This code basically tells you that the ECU is having trouble maintaining a steady idle speed. It relates to either an air leak, or a faulty MAP sensor, Throttle sensor or Idle control valve
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

Point

Post by Point » Wed May 09, 2012 10:56 pm

I started another thread here
Can you tell me how you got the code 54 out of your car?
I plugged the black plugs together and the check engine light flashed
This code basically tells you that the ECU is having trouble maintaining a steady idle speed. It relates to either an air leak, or a faulty MAP sensor, Throttle sensor or Idle control valve
this is just the info I was after. I have tried another MAP sensor with no change. Will try the IACV, and TPS next. I did clean the IACV previously.

Can I ask where you got the 2001 SF Forester FSM from?
98 Forester GX
02 Forester XS Luxury

Point

Post by Point » Fri May 11, 2012 7:07 pm

FIXED!!

IACV was stuck. Checked my spare and it was stuck too. Lots of INOX and moving the vane and it runs beautifully now.
98 Forester GX
02 Forester XS Luxury

Return to “Electrical, Wiring and Lighting”