Changing Door Lock actuator control

How to fix gremlins & general maintenance issues ...
fredsub

Changing Door Lock actuator control

Post by fredsub » Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:20 pm

I'm trying to have a go at changing some behavior of the door locks,
in a '98 OBW
hoping for as simple as changing over left and right doors,
you see I hate the fact that ALL locks unlock, when unlocking the driver door, but that does not happen when unlocking the passenger door.

So I'm trying to find the control module.....
I've removed the driver side kick panel, on the side, and under instrument cluster. A wrap of wires is going up there.....
Looks to be a BIG job removing the instrument cluster or access up there....

anyone familiar with this area ? the wiring is very neat and wrapped, which conversely makes it damn hard to follow or hopefully modify somewhat:(

Is the control module in fact up there?

should the ECU be up there too, I can't see it.....

I do have a Liberty 1998-2003 pdf, it includes Outback for reference.....
its not as helpful as it could be:(

Also want to power the ACC (Cig lighter/accessories socket, front and rear) via a toggle switch....

I thought L series wiring wasn't great, it was hell simpler though.......

fredsub

Post by fredsub » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:27 am

There's 4 wires going to the drivers door, door actuator. I ended up cuting the black wire (lucky guess?), and putting a toggle switch on the wire.
So thats enough to isolate the all door unlock behaviour.
However it would now be good, if the drivers door is locked, then the toggle switch (ie black wire) momentarily closed, to ensure all doors are locked - so may just add a timer circuit here. One of those wires should have constant 12V on them, tested that at the kick panel plug.

I did not find where the door lock control module is, and am not prepared at this stage to pull the dash just to find it. So if someone has more info? Please......

I did find the power window module, under dash passenger side, on the side.

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:00 am

The problem you will have is.... that main actuator is the main/central thing that controls to unlock & lock all other doors is in the drivers door, if you removed that signal from drivers door then the central locking is useless...

I don't see the point unlocking & locking the passengers door, I thought that feature was good but if you're the passenger, the door unlocks specific door when you pull to open the door... and the driver's will unlock/lock all doors.
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1995 Liberty "Rallye" - 5MT AWD, LSD - *written off 25/8/06 in towing accident.
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page
Sold at 385,000kms in July 2011.
2007 Liberty BP Wagon, 2.5i automatic

fredsub

Post by fredsub » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:32 am

AlpineRaven wrote:The problem you will have is.... that main actuator is the main/central thing that controls to unlock & lock all other doors is in the drivers door, if you removed that signal from drivers door then the central locking is useless...

I don't see the point unlocking & locking the passengers door, I thought that feature was good but if you're the passenger, the door unlocks specific door when you pull to open the door... and the driver's will unlock/lock all doors.
Cheers
AP
I'm not so sure about that....I recall that with the drivers door harness all unplugged, I was able to lock or unlock the other doors by foolin with the pins at the connector, so there must be a door lock control module somewhere, and not in the drivers door/actuator.
Its all back together now anyway, but I saw how crap the door speaker was - that why the sound was not so good after replacing the stereo, so when I get some new speakers i'll get at it all again....

In case I havn't explained it, it is the feature of the drivers door unlocking ALL doors, that I want to selectively activate, don't want it to be the default as it is now.

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:06 am

I am not sure about the Liberty/Outback's locking system, I *think* it is located under the steering section... I could be wrong tho..
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1995 Liberty "Rallye" - 5MT AWD, LSD - *written off 25/8/06 in towing accident.
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page
Sold at 385,000kms in July 2011.
2007 Liberty BP Wagon, 2.5i automatic

masterjohnson

Post by masterjohnson » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:50 pm

hi there guys a little help in here. i think fredsub and i are having the same issues. can anybody provide me with a wiring diagram? i really thought i was only having simple replacement with my door lock switch but it doesn't solve my issue. if it is the actuator where is it located on impreza? thanks in advance. so sorry for digging this thread again.

Return to “Electrical, Wiring and Lighting”