Realigning a 88 brumby's steering wheel...

How to fix gremlins & general maintenance issues ...
callum

Realigning a 88 brumby's steering wheel...

Post by callum » Sun May 18, 2008 10:26 pm

G'day guys, I guess this would be the best forum to put this in?

Have any of you guys removed and realigned the steering wheel in a 1988 brumby? It's my first car and the only problem is that it's slightly to the left when the wheels are straight - it's not a wheel allignment issue.

Is it difficult to remove and replace? I can't see it taking more than 10 minutes, but is there anything important I should watch out for?

Cheers.

mattl200

Post by mattl200 » Sun May 18, 2008 10:44 pm

its easy to remove the horn button cover should pull off or clip off depends on model and undo the nut the wheel might come loose by just pulling on it

if not give the shaft a whack with a hammer (with the nut on the end otherwise youl burr the thread and the nut wont go back on)
don't smack it too hard though
- 92 brumby, ej22, MT5AWD, lseries low range, centre diff lock, glf5 dash, 5 stud conversion
lifted 3" front 2" rear all rolling round on 27" khumo Kl71's
more in progress ie:adaptronic ecu and sc14 supercharger

callum

Post by callum » Sun May 18, 2008 10:53 pm

excellent, i figured it would just be an easy unbolt job...

thanks mate!

Suby Roo

Post by Suby Roo » Mon May 19, 2008 8:28 am

Or another way to do it is to unbolt the steering arm from under the bonnet and turn it till its straight again, not sure how easy this is, just thought it may be easier...
'91 Legacy GT wagon, 2.35 turbo, td05-20g, 05sti spec c dccd 6 speed, 3 inch, front mount, power fc

Prunes

Post by Prunes » Mon May 19, 2008 8:57 am

I did it by taking the steering wheel off but found it was a pain to get it quite right so I undid the nut, then drove the car slow pulled the wheel off and put it back on so much easier, altho probabily a little dangerous
2002 Impreza GX Hatch: Dents, Scratches, Missing inside wheel arch, Barely attached front bumper.
1983 Brumby: Currently being rebuilt.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed May 28, 2008 11:43 am

Prunes wrote:I did it by taking the steering wheel off but found it was a pain to get it quite right so I undid the nut, then drove the car slow pulled the wheel off and put it back on so much easier, altho probabily a little dangerous
I wouldn't worry about that, I've heard of professional panel beaters and the like doing the same thing - but on the freeway! A little insane for my liking...

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Return to “Electrical, Wiring and Lighting”