Dual battery system

How to fix gremlins & general maintenance issues ...
Gardiner

Dual battery system

Post by Gardiner » Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:36 pm

I want to put a dual battery system in the brumby
Was just wondering if anyone knows what the standard brumby alternator can handle/put out???

Anyone know if they can handle a small dual battery system and what is the maximum battery i can handle if it can?

Outback bloke

Post by Outback bloke » Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:49 pm

Your alternator will have it's output on there some where. Generally they are around a 45-55amp alternator. Yes they will run a dual battery set up.

It is not really the size of the battery you want to run off it, more so how flat you are going to be making it.

Simplified, if you have a 100AH battery as your second battery and you run it half flat then you will need to put back 50 amps. So, running your car for one hour (45-55Amp alternator) would recharge it. Sounds ok but during that hour you also have to run the rest of your car. That is where it is going to start to struggle.

That is just a simple example but in reality it is very close to that. Best thing to do is get your set up going and then down the track save up for a bigger output alternator. You can get up to 130amp alternators for them these days for not much over $300.

Gardiner

Post by Gardiner » Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:53 pm

cool just looking at a small deep cycle bout 90amp hour will have a chop and see how i go

Return to “Electrical, Wiring and Lighting”