driving lights/spots for newbies?

How to fix gremlins & general maintenance issues ...
brumbyrunner
General Member

Post by brumbyrunner » Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:34 pm

have a look at http://www.gadgetmaster.com.au/index.ph ... 6c80165e19

This is where we get all ours from. Mention me in any dealings with him because I think he wants to sponser us. I have just fitted the latest twin ballast high/low H4 headlight kit to my work ute. They are even better than the previous single ballast set we fitted to my brothers ute.

This is a good comparison photo

TheZigster

Post by TheZigster » Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:44 am

Howdy all! Sorry about the gravedig but this seemed like the most appropriate thread in which to post.

These questions are in relation to a 93' gen 1 liberty wagon

I am also going through the driving light installation procedure and have a couple of more specific hurdles which I need help to jump.

Firstly: I need to run a wire from my high-beam switch to my driving light switch. Am I better off taking dash panels off around the high beam stalk from my steering column to access the switch directly or I was thinking I could track down the hig beam relay (which I assume is in the egine bay somewhere) and splice onto the wire going to that from the high beam switch.

Secondly: How the hell do I get a wire through the firewall to my centre console (where I will place my new driving light switch) from the driving light relay in the engine bay? There seem to be a few conduits going through the firewall each with it's own rubber grommet but how do I know which is the right one to follow and how the heck do I access it from the dash side after I have got it through?

Any help you can give with these would be greatly appreciated. I'm starting to wish I'd just paid someone to do it for me!

mattl200

Post by mattl200 » Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:11 pm

this will work for an MY with negative switched lights

connect a wire to the red black wire on the big plug that goes to the combo switch and connect it to one side of your driving light switch

from the other side of the switch take a peace of wire out to the engine bay to your relay near the battery connect this to one side of the relay coil pin 85 on most common relays

run a wire from the positive battery terminal through a fuse to the relay to pin 30 and pin 86 link between the two terminals

then run the positive feed to the lights from pin 87 some relays have two pin 87s so u can run one light from each

and run a negative to the lights from the negative terminal of the battery to the light or the metal case of the light some lights use the case for ground

note : make sure the wire from the battery is large enough to carry the current the lights will draw and for a pair of 100w driving lights you would want a 10 or 15amp fuse

cooloothin

Post by cooloothin » Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:13 pm

i don't want to ruin your efforts at being self sufficient.. you certainly have more enthusiasm than i... but if it gets the best of you talk to a friendly auto electrician - only cost me 60 to install mine and a very tidy job too. that's easily worth many hours of my own time.
RIP: stock '84 Sportswagon 4sp SR (sold after 13 years loyal service, to the wreckers for $100 :( )

'08 79V Forester X 5sp DR + subaxtreme bullbar, sump guard, Yoko geo ATS, kybs & 1inch kings (daily driver and go-anywhere tourer)

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:22 am

Hey zigster,
You're best off finding the wire for the high beam at the back of the lights, would be the easiest and most accessible place, you will need a longer wire to the console switch though.

Rubber grommets - pick one you can access from both sides, push a hole in it the push the wires you need through individually or in their condute you're going to use. The condute method may be a little harder to do.

You will have to negatively switch the relays (below), this is how my L is wired and i'm sure it will work with your liberty too. Sorry that it looks like a 5 year old's drawing, i'm not fantastic with a mouse and couldn't find basic shapes in photoshop... Hope its of some value.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Return to “Electrical, Wiring and Lighting”