Fuse keeps blowing

How to fix gremlins & general maintenance issues ...
Malc

Fuse keeps blowing

Post by Malc » Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:19 am

Everytime I turn the lights on in the Brumby the tail / license fuse (15 amp) blows, it just started happening all of a sudden. I still have brake lights though. Anyone know why this is happening?

BaronVonChickenPants
General Member

Post by BaronVonChickenPants » Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:25 am

Maybe water in you taillights.

Jordan.
To become old and wise, first you must survive being young and dumb.

Malc

Post by Malc » Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:30 am

BaronVonChickenPants wrote:Maybe water in you taillights.

Jordan.
My right rear light lense has a hole in the side and is partly covered by electrical tape. It has been like this for about 6 months but the problem only started a few weeks ago.

Alex
Elder Member

Post by Alex » Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:24 pm

check all the wiring to make sure it isnt shorting somewhere...it must be shorting for it to blow fuses..

alex
my07 Outback
my13 Hyundai i45(shhhh)
my02 Gen3 Liberty limited ed.

previously
L-series wagon, LSD, EJ20turbo, 29in tyres, 'wanky wagon'
2000 gen3 outback, lifted, otherwise stock.

SuBaRiNo

Post by SuBaRiNo » Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:21 pm

I would be checking that tail light first.... i would dissconect it and see if the problem is still there. Just cos it has been ok for the last 6 months doesn't mean it will never become a problem.

Dave
EJ conversion wiring harness cut downs available. Please PM or email (davem2000@hotmail.com) for details.

Malc

Post by Malc » Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:15 pm

SuBaRiNo wrote:I would be checking that tail light first.... i would dissconect it and see if the problem is still there. Just cos it has been ok for the last 6 months doesn't mean it will never become a problem.
Dave
I've disconnected both tail lights and taken the bulbs out of the license plate lights but the fuse still blows.
90subiewgn wrote:check all the wiring to make sure it isnt shorting somewhere...it must be shorting for it to blow fuses..
alex
Does this mean the short is happening somewhere in the wiring under the steering wheel? (Where the fuse box is)

How do i check for a short. My multimeter can only measure 10A max.

SuBaRiNo

Post by SuBaRiNo » Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:40 pm

u will have to check absolutely everywhere... it wont be fun to find the problem.... Sorry there is no common place that i know of that this problem happens.... Have u got a trailor plug.... perhaps the problem could be there.

Look for any dodgy wiring or exposed wires.... thats all i can think of.

Dave
EJ conversion wiring harness cut downs available. Please PM or email (davem2000@hotmail.com) for details.

Malc

Post by Malc » Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:43 am

SuBaRiNo wrote:u will have to check absolutely everywhere... it wont be fun to find the problem
How much would an auto electrician charge to find the fault?
SuBaRiNo wrote: Look for any dodgy wiring or exposed wires.... thats all i can think of.
I've installed a cd player and cruise control in the past but my soldering is pretty dodgy. I dont see how this would affect the tail light though.

camo85

fuse.

Post by camo85 » Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:11 pm

i've seen in the past a fuse blowing because a guy had a metal case trailer socket and the power pole was connecting with the metal flap and he was losing lights instantly this is just a suggestion.
camo

Alex
Elder Member

Post by Alex » Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:12 pm

ummm...not sure, but my alpine deck has a feature where, when you put your headlights on, the deck dims...maybe make sure(if your deck has it) that the dimmer wire isnt arking somewhere...

alex
my07 Outback
my13 Hyundai i45(shhhh)

previously

SuBaRiNo

Post by SuBaRiNo » Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:58 pm

I belive there is a light wire near the stereo... check that... that would cause this fault.

I can't read... did i suggest the trailor plug.

Dave

xii

Post by xii » Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:22 am

Sorry for reviving this thread... Does anyone know of any potential trouble points causing this problem?

I have the exact same problem - fuse for taillight, license and instrument illumination keeps blowing. Tail and license light and wiring in the aft cabin has been checked.. which leaves me with the engine compartment and instruments..

Thanks!

shuffbag

Post by shuffbag » Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:52 am

funny thing i did this to a friends car just the other day.

you will prob find you have earthed the head unit to an exsiting wire more than likely a black wire (you would have thought it was earth for the previous head unit), but it is a wire that provides back lighting from the orig head unit so it works like a earth when the lights are switched off and as soon as you switch them on BANG your earth turns into a positive wire and the fuse blows.

take your head unit out and check the wire you earthed to with a test light with and without the lights on.

Alex
Elder Member

Post by Alex » Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:09 pm

make sure the switch ontop of your steering column isnt stuffed. I had the same problem and had to by-pass that switch. They get hot and melt after 20years haha.

alex
my07 Outback
my13 Hyundai i45(shhhh)

previously

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:45 pm

Been there done that... you have to find the circuit starting from finish to start and try find a broken or damaged wiring which is causing short circuit, putting thicker/higher amps fuse won't help. What wattage headlight globes are you using?

Autoelectrican - who did my dad's tarago (turns out to be ciggie lighter causing the lights in dash to fail even speedo didnt work), he had to fork out $300 for the bill.
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1995 Liberty "Rallye" - 5MT AWD, LSD - *written off 25/8/06 in towing accident.
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page
Sold at 385,000kms in July 2011.
2007 Liberty BP Wagon, 2.5i automatic

tex

Post by tex » Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:45 pm

I've installed a cd player and cruise control in the past but my soldering is pretty dodgy. I dont see how this would affect the tail light though.[/QUOTE]

You could well be on the money here seen this heaps of times just cut through the illumination wire at the join then tape up both ends well, then wait and see if it blows again if not then check the wires for nicks then reconnect it (heatshrink is the go aswell as solder) otherwise there are plenty of lights behind the dash that come on with the parkers... If you run out of patience or time then take it to an auto electrician with a list of everything you have tried hopefully saving them the trouble, Most of my experiences with auto electricians have been very good although the last one chaged me $200 to try and fix a dull light but they gave up. Months later I worked out it was just a bad connection with a fuse.
87 targa brumby (Neglected),
92 targa brumby (weekend runabout),
97 Lifted Outback (Dailey drive),
05 outback safety (Too cheap to pass up),
90 model liberty (was to be scrapped instead sold to workmate)
+ others.

Return to “Electrical, Wiring and Lighting”