fog lights

How to fix gremlins & general maintenance issues ...
woody.t

fog lights

Post by woody.t » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:24 pm

i have a 1990 liberty gx which has a switch on the inside for fog lights which arnt installed on the front but as i have a rs front bumper and fog lights sitting in my shed i was wondering if the gx would have a fog light harness hidden in the guards somewhere...? which would save me some wiring
"the wisest of men followed the stars"
<a href="http://www.ausubaru.com/forum/showthrea ... 200">CHLOE THE LIBERTY</a>
to do list:
-3" strut, 2" body lift uni mid-year break

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:35 pm

You will find that the fog light switch is for the rear fog light, the red light in the place of the right hand reverse light. If you drive with this light on, drivers who follow you might want to pull you over and punch you. Its very bright and distracting. Hyundai Excel's are also repeat offenders
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

woody.t

Post by woody.t » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:10 pm

ok cheers.
"the wisest of men followed the stars"
<a href="http://www.ausubaru.com/forum/showthrea ... 200">CHLOE THE LIBERTY</a>
to do list:
-3" strut, 2" body lift uni mid-year break

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:21 pm

Gannon wrote:You will find that the fog light switch is for the rear fog light, the red light in the place of the right hand reverse light. If you drive with this light on, drivers who follow you might want to pull you over and punch you. Its very bright and distracting. Hyundai Excel's are also repeat offenders
OHHHHHHHHH, learning everyday:)
The project, EJ22 --->>> EJ25 Quad CAM:D touring wagon
Thinking of going on holidays on a little paradise island, Check out http://www.dodolidays.com

d_generate
General Member

Post by d_generate » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:28 pm

Gannon wrote: Hyundai Excel's are also repeat offenders
Ohh how right you are, nothing like getting stuck behind an Excell:evil:
98 Libbo with V3 STI running gear. 13.0 @ 105mph with CAI & 3" Zorst:mrgreen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKrsF-2JS3M :twisted:

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:35 pm

Gannon wrote:If you drive with this light on, drivers who follow you might want to pull you over and punch you. Its very bright and distracting. Hyundai Excel's are also repeat offenders
Land Rovers too!

And I got stuck behind a hyundai coupe yesterday with the same rear lights on!

They should be disconnected in Australia!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

AshR

Post by AshR » Mon May 14, 2012 1:41 pm

I think that's why they bought in the ruling that it's now illegal to drive with driving lights unless it is "adverse weather conditions"

I figure having a dark green liberty, that makes any day an adverse weather condition so helps people see my car :)

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon May 14, 2012 4:06 pm

AshR wrote:I think that's why they bought in the ruling that it's now illegal to drive with driving lights unless it is "adverse weather conditions"
How often have you heard about a cop booking others for in-appropriate use of their auxiliary lights? Roof lights that 4wd's sport are also high on the list. My three driving lights as well - add another one and they're all good, I shouldn't have an odd number of lights. Bizarre.

Fog lights that are on when ever the "night lights" such as low beam are on should be nailed by the police IMO. They can be just plain dangerous with the added brightness of newer vehicle's lights!

Cheers

Bennie

thunder039

Post by thunder039 » Mon May 14, 2012 4:41 pm

El_Freddo wrote:How often have you heard about a cop booking others for in-appropriate use of their auxiliary lights? Roof lights that 4wd's sport are also high on the list. My three driving lights as well - add another one and they're all good, I shouldn't have an odd number of lights. Bizarre.

Fog lights that are on when ever the "night lights" such as low beam are on should be nailed by the police IMO. They can be just plain dangerous with the added brightness of newer vehicle's lights!

Cheers

Bennie
agree about the fog lights but there arent many cars that i see on the road were the fog lights are that bright and annoying
2004 subaru forester -gone
1999 subaru forester- no more :(
1989 subaru brumby- sold!
2008 zook jimny -sold!
2003 mitsubishi pajero - missus car
2013 nissan d22- set up for long distant touring

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon May 14, 2012 4:54 pm

thunder039 wrote:agree about the fog lights but there arent many cars that i see on the road were the fog lights are that bright and annoying
Really? A "wall of lights" headed in your direction - fog lights that are white... Yeah, not really fog lights eh?

Factory fog lights are a wank to sell more vehicles to the masses that don't know what they're really there for. And a white fog light - you might as well not have it!

I better stop now before I unload about fog lights and their use in Australia.

Cheers

Bennie

AshR

Post by AshR » Mon May 14, 2012 5:10 pm

Rage up Bennie :p

thunder039

Post by thunder039 » Mon May 14, 2012 5:15 pm

i wouldnt call two fog lights that point to the ground a "wall of light" i personally like fog lights they make the car look better in my opionion. also i am only talking about stock fog lights that have not been modified
2008 zook jimny -sold!

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon May 14, 2012 5:20 pm

thunder039 wrote:i wouldnt call two fog lights that point to the ground a "wall of light" i personally like fog lights they make the car look better in my opionion. also i am only talking about stock fog lights that have not been modified
When you have low beam lights that are brighter than your stock L series high beam lights it can be very bright, maybe not on a freeway, but a country two way road it can be very hazardous.

Add a pair of non-yellow "fog lights" putting more light out and it's worst again! I find I'm very sensitive to light at night and personally HATE those that do not have any discipline or care for their use of bright high beams - this is how I treat the use of my extra driving lights.

Cheers

Bennie

Smokey

Post by Smokey » Mon May 14, 2012 5:37 pm

I too find as I get older my eyes are more light sensitive at night. Not just oncoming vehicles but also my radio and dash lights. My own headlight brightness of course is a case of the more the better. BUT I like to think I'm courteous and care for oncoming cars.

I find dimming my lights too early is actually worse though. Let me explain. As I crest a hill the oncoming vehicles lights light the sky. Leaving mine on till they dim theirs works every time. But if u turn mine off too early, ie when I see theirs they don't seem to see me until their own highs are blinding me. Perhaps I need more light to keep up with these new cars...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

thunder039

Post by thunder039 » Mon May 14, 2012 5:40 pm

El_Freddo wrote:When you have low beam lights that are brighter than your stock L series high beam lights it can be very bright, maybe not on a freeway, but a country two way road it can be very hazardous.
yep i live in the country an know what you mean! i think this is more of an issue of the HID lights a and large 4wd with brighter lights that also sit closer to eye level are worse!
El_Freddo wrote:Add a pair of non-yellow "fog lights" putting more light out and it's worst again! I find I'm very sensitive to light at night and personally HATE those that do not have any discipline or care for their use of bright high beams - this is how I treat the use of my extra driving lights.

Cheers

Bennie
yep i hate people that dont turn off there high beams to the last minite!

i personally dont find stock fog lights to be an issue after market brighter ones yes i do, but i have more of an issue with the new generation HID's that are like looking into the sun!
2008 zook jimny -sold!

purp

Post by purp » Mon May 14, 2012 6:05 pm

Incorrectly used fog lights and driving lights is also a pet hate of mine. When Bennie is king I'll help round them up for re-education in the gulags.

thunder039

Post by thunder039 » Mon May 14, 2012 6:15 pm

i just dont understand, say the stock fog lights on a liberty 4th gen can be annoying compared to legal HID"S
2008 zook jimny -sold!

spike
General Member

Post by spike » Mon May 14, 2012 6:28 pm

AshR wrote:I think that's why they bought in the ruling that it's now illegal to drive with driving lights unless it is "adverse weather conditions"

I figure having a dark green liberty, that makes any day an adverse weather condition so helps people see my car :)

call them driving lights and theyre legal, driving lights are allowed to be on at any time you are driving. Fog lights can only be used in foggy weather, you might have a fight on your hands but dam its better than a 200$ ticket

spike
General Member

Post by spike » Mon May 14, 2012 6:31 pm

El_Freddo wrote:When you have low beam lights that are brighter than your stock L series high beam lights it can be very bright, maybe not on a freeway, but a country two way road it can be very hazardous.

Cheers

Bennie
YES YES YES YES!!
scared dad the other day cause he hasnt been in an L for a while, jumped in to take off and he kept telling me to turn the lights on.....
think i need to retire Lisa.

thunder039

Post by thunder039 » Mon May 14, 2012 6:34 pm

spike wrote:call them driving lights and theyre legal, driving lights are allowed to be on at any time you are driving. Fog lights can only be used in foggy weather, you might have a fight on your hands but dam its better than a 200$ ticket
i didnt know this i thought it was basically the same thing
2008 zook jimny -sold!

Return to “Electrical, Wiring and Lighting”