L Series alternators ...

How to fix gremlins & general maintenance issues ...
discopotato03

L Series alternators ...

Post by discopotato03 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:40 pm

When in wreckers I've noticed that some Ls notably autos seem to have wider stators , the green middle section , in their alternators . I have a swag of Vortex alternators that have multi v belt pulleys on them that are also like this . Can't change pulleys - nothing to support outer half of single pulley . The Vortex pulley is one piece .
Would I be right in thinking that the wider stator versions are higher output ones than the narrower stator versions ?
My 87+ factory WSM says Ls have an LR160-138 for models with Pwr Steer and no AC and LR160-137 for all others .
At the above mentioned wrecker one of the two wide stator alternators also had a double V belt pulley on it which I've never seen before . It must need two same length belts for the steer pump and tension both off the alternator rather than the AC compressors sea anchor bracket and extra pulley/tensioner . Needless to say I have that double pulley because I collect all unusual bits just in case I find a use for them .

A .

discopotato03

Post by discopotato03 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:07 am

Back again , nasty minded curiosity and living like a bat (shiftworker) , looks to have solved this one for me .
I just had to go look at the Vort alts in the batcave to see what their Hitachi stickers said - LR165-704 . I just happened to have an LR160-137 which was probably Ellies original spark maker and it has the wide stator too .
The thing that stood out between the L and Vort alternators was a whole lot of ventilation slots all around the Vort ones casing and no fan behind the drive pulley . Also the L ones front case sticks out more at the front to make room for that tin plate fan .
Now usually the L one has a tubular bush spacer locating against a shoulder on the rotors shaft to space the tin fan and pully far enough out to clear the alternators front casing . The Vortex one has the one piece machined pulley with an integral bush on the back of it to keep it clear of its front case .
The reason why its not possible to transfer the Ls two piece pulley onto the Vortexs rotor shaft is that the two halves togeter are too wide to locate on the shoulder at the inner end of the lock nuts threaded section . Basically there nothing to keep the outer pulley half located as you do the nut up .
Since I had the nuts and pulleys previously off the old L and a Vortex units it suddenly hit me that the recently aquired L alternator pulley is ONE piece .
BINGO he yells , we can shorten the Ls spacer bush enough to locate the one piece double pulley on the Vortex alternator fit the spring washer and lock nut and Bobs our uncle .

You might think why bother but I remember being at an auto sparkys trying to nut this out 6 months ago and he b asically take the L one and throw it to the poo house because they hate the things . The Vort one he said are good things 99% of the time .
I think it just remains to be seen if we can get the rejigged alternator bolted up and hopefulley the pulley will line up with all the others .

Wonder what Coxys do'n on the weekend ...

A .

Um , one more thing . I suspect I may be using an alternator intended for an EA81 because its been a long term loaner of Coxys and if thats the case what model or amp output alternator did they have ?

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:53 am

I think EA81s ran 5 amps smaller and Vorts 5 amps bigger than std L stuff. Also disappointed th Vorts different bolting and pulley not fit std L or EA81. I am sure a spacer from std L can be spun down to make right belt alignment of Vort alt a V belt happy dude. Gave up, and shipped 'em to a Vortex owner - then bought a Vortex - as you do :) This Vort has a Bosch adapted inside - rather bodgy I reckon but as Nev explains many elecs hate anything that is not Bosch!! It has some tidy spacing to align things

discopotato03

Post by discopotato03 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:01 am

The auto sparkys till they retired many years ago liked Bosch because parts for them were common . I later came to realise that Japanese made alternators were better things but more expensive for things like regulators .
I followed a link back to this site in the early hours where someone had used Australian Bluebird Bosch housings on EA Falcon Bosch guts and made an 85 amp alternator up .
The Americans try and get Nissan Infinity 100 amp Hitachi alternators because with a spacer rehash and pulley change they virtually fall onto a single V belt EA81/82 .
That one piece EA alternator pulley is the thing to have to make conversions easy , provided it lines up with the others .
Yes from what I found searching EA81s got 50 or 55 amp alternators and the Ls got 60 amp ones . Vortex XT4s haxe 65 amp alternators and it looks like XT6s got a 90 amp one .
Again from searching the XT6 ones don't just go bolt they need spacing on the mounts and wiring changes to make them work on an EA81/82 .
Next search will be for the part no of the Nissan Infinity 85 or 100 amp Hitachis that the Americans use . If they are not easily found I'll use one of the XT4 ones I have .

A .

discopotato03

Post by discopotato03 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:28 am

I searched around to see what the go was with the 85-94 Nissan Maxima alternators and the part numbers look like LR190-711F 14661 or LR190-709B .
I don't even know if Maximas in Australia got the 90a alternator but I have seen a 70a off one . To get the right casings it has to be off a 3L VG30 V6 SOHC per bank engine .

There is a thread on USMB about this conversion and an Ausie with a Brumby has done it , I'd like to know if he's in here as well and what car he got his alternator off . I'll see if I can get his handle off USMB , cheers A .

discopotato03

Post by discopotato03 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:30 am

Deleted .

spike
General Member

Post by spike » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:03 am

phantom D with the twin carb brumby

were looking at doing updates etc that fit in the OME place

problem with the vort is you need all the pulleys =/

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:02 pm

What are you planning to do with all this power Adrian? I have never had a problem running everything including pair of 100W spotties , cheap arse stereo etc _ I do however use a Falcon battery in all my subes :D

discopotato03

Post by discopotato03 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:36 pm

First things first .
Did a Pick and Payless run this afternoon and down the back of Nissan row was a Z32 300ZX and a Hitachi 80 amp alternator sitting behind it . Its the same series as the Maxima one onlt 89a . So I takes it over to the Subaru section where a couple of Ls were hiding . One was a red auto sedan with an LR150-200 (50a) alternator which had a twin pulley on it - not there any more .
The other was a crashed wagon with all the steer and AC crap on the front plus the typical L Hitachi LR160 . I removed that and fitted up the Nissan Hitachi one and basically like a finger in a ya know . There is a minor difference in that the single adjustment bolt hole is not threaded and it sits maybe 3-4mm behind the outer single leg bracket .
Actually that "trial" engine being an AC equipt one had its original alternator set to line up with the outer of its two fan belts , the alternator being a single pulley one .
My car has twin pulleys on the crank , steer pump , water pump but not its alternator and I cant remember if its alternator brackets came off a non AC L or MY . I'm only using one inner side belt too .
I'm pretty sure Coxy has a 70a alternator off a Maxima and now I know the pulley/spacer trick the Brumby may haxe a similar upgrade soon .

Back to why , well the thing is that std alternators seem to barely cope and thats all . From what I read high output alternators put out greater current at low revs than std ones and that could be significant if you stand around idling in traffic with lights sound AC etc all demanding current . Also something Coxy always says it that its very important to try and avoid voltage drop if you expect your electric devices to perform properly , std and sometimes aged alternators can struggle a bit and while you may not stop you could be noticing dim lights and sliggish ignition etc .

I also trial fitted a Lib alternator and nothing lines up , not impossible but easier with some Nissan style alternators .

Sorry one more the extra juice , well an LR180 is 20 amps up on a LR160 or 15compared to a Vortex LR 165 . It will charge better than my long term loaner alternator which is an MY 50 or 55a one . It owes me $50 and could end up being a spare for the Skyline if Ellie ends up as an organ donor when I'm finished with it .
Also its a challenge , keeps me sane living with teenagers who know everything and nothing at the same time .

Cheers A .

stenno

Post by stenno » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:54 pm

Im sure i had an liberty alt test fitted in my brumby (AC no PS), ended up pulling the motor and its sat ever since. I swapped the pulleys with a gear puller and adjusted the spacer on the rear? mounting tab with a hammer and maybe ground down the front mounting tab with a grinder to move the alt backwards. Im sure i tried it after reading about it on the USMB. dunno if this helps.
B4s & outbacks have 110 or 120 amp alts with the same mounts.

discopotato03

Post by discopotato03 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:22 am

Part numbers .
USDM 85-94 J30 Maxima Alternators .
LR190-709 or
LR190-709B or
LR190-711 .

LR180-724 is the Z32 300ZX NA one I have and its internal bearings are NSK 6201DW rear and NSK B17 102DW3 front . They are available through CBC bearings at approx 9 and 38 dollars .

I have not seen one yet but I noticed 2004+ Nissan XTrails have a Hitachi LR1110-713 which is 110amp output . Its Nissan pt no 2300-AU420 .

A .

discopotato03

Post by discopotato03 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:17 pm

For those that love references and part numbers so they can have a go at rebuilding alternators this site is tops . This is the link to my new alternator at their site and it tells you everything about the consumables part numbers .

ADM Nissan Z32 300ZX NA , came of a 7/90 ADM car . LR180-724 (80 amp)

http://www.woodauto.com/Unit.aspx?Man=H ... f=LR180724

Also the Maxima alternator the Americans at USMB use . LR190-704 (90 amp)

http://www.woodauto.com/Unit.aspx?Man=H ... f=LR190704

L Series LR160-138 (60 amp)

http://www.woodauto.com/Unit.aspx?Man=H ... f=LR160138

And the Vortex LR165-704 (65 amp)

http://www.woodauto.com/Unit.aspx?Man=H ... f=LR165704

Enjoy , A .

discopotato03

Post by discopotato03 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:39 pm

Ok a little off topic but the ones for MYs/EA81s .

LR150-200 (50amp)

http://www.woodauto.com/Unit.aspx?Man=H ... f=LR150200

LR155-18 (55amp)

http://www.woodauto.com/Unit.aspx?Man=H ... ef=LR15518

Hope this helps , cheers A .

Return to “Electrical, Wiring and Lighting”