Cheap Rev limiter?

How to fix gremlins & general maintenance issues ...
subarooster

Cheap Rev limiter?

Post by subarooster » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:34 pm

Okayy, had a thought today. I've been looking around at rev limiters lately (ignition cut ones) and most units have come up at around $400 - $500. So it got me thinking. i wonder can i manufacture one for under $50? I had a look at the old "monsta" tacho i had that i never use and got an idea. ;) If I hook up the tacho and use the shift light as a trigger for a changeover relay, it might just work. I was thinking of running the negative side of the coil through the (always on) pins on the relay (30 and 87A) and then when triggered it will change over to the other pin (87). This will hav to be earthed so the spike has somewhere to go, otherwise it will feedback and cause pre ignition. So set the shift light to come on at say 6000rpm and as soon as it hits that the relay will changeover, then it will change back, then changeover ect... cutting the ignition briefly. :) The way i see it, i think i can get it to cut at around 5 times a second to giv that lovely brap! brap! brap! sound. And because its cutting the ignition instead of the convention fuel cut, it mayy shoot small flames from the exhaust. The idea sounds a little riceyy and boy racer but i'm keen to giv it ago. Tomorrow arv i shall have a go and report back. Cheers, Tom

Current Projects: *Offroad Racing MY Touring Wagon.
* EA82T Jap spec L series Wagon.

Previous rides: *Supercharged EJ25 Rwd Brumby
* 2 x 91' L series Ej20, 3 inch lift, mud tyres.
01' Liberty B4.

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:01 pm

because its cutting the ignition instead of the convention fuel cut, it may shoot small flames from the exhaust.
please video your motor imploding

otherwise it sounds like it might work

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

BaronVonChickenPants
General Member

Post by BaronVonChickenPants » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:16 pm

The old GTHO phase III Falcon's had a "magical silver box" that worked in a similar way, I imagine they would have been dumping a lot more raw fuel than your tiny little suby engine, but then it's only until the revs drop below the ignition cut, which shouldn't take too long.

I think the concern should be the result of dumping unburnt fuel into your cat converter, they really don't appreciate that sort of thing.

Jordan.
To become old and wise, first you must survive being young and dumb.

subarooster

Post by subarooster » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:31 pm

haha the test subject is a shagged ea82 so i'm not overly concerned on it imploding.. just curious, thats all. :) and the cat converter is buggered as well so all good. :)

01' Liberty B4.

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:45 pm

You hoon.

I might have to come over to see this
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

D3V1L

Post by D3V1L » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:09 pm

bee r rev limiter does this. ignition cut....and almighty backfire and flames occur,,,

davo
no more subarus

[/SIZE] [/color][/B][/color][/SIZE][/color]http://community.webshots.com/user/D3V1L9

Outback bloke

Post by Outback bloke » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:41 am

The EA82 has an inbuilt rev limiter. It is called engine design.

subarooster

Post by subarooster » Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:17 am

haha yeah, but i wanted to make it adjustable. Tried and tested yesterday and had pleasing results. but way to over the top for my liking... Sounded like a WRC car at full revs before take off but ripped it all out due to it being very gay. lol

01' Liberty B4.

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:49 am

Did you video it?

I wanted to see it
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback

discopotato03

Post by discopotato03 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:50 am

Yeah , I also reckon EA82 heads were common with some diesel design and "revved" accordingly ...

I can almost hear "Fuju" thinking - "Hmm , breathing and revs . What a novel idea . Lets make a four valves per cylinder engine and try this 50 yr old breakthrough idea out .... "

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:00 am

So how high will an EA82 rev till it runs out of puff?

Surely if it can rev past 5k under load, it would have enough flow to rev much past that without any load.

Maybe ignition timing and valve bounce play their part in limiting its revving capability

thatsgoodsquishy

Post by thatsgoodsquishy » Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:22 pm

I spent a couple years regularly winding mine out to redline (6 or 6.5?, cant really remember) and i thought it pulled fairly well at high revs, hence why i kept doing it:D
Mine was a red blooded super version from 85 though, dont know if the unleaded version had any changes that reduced top end power? I guess they wound the timing back a bit at least:(

I have very fond memories of my L :p
Ben
Current: MY 07 Outback 3L
Previous: 02 B4 Manual
Previous: 95 Liberty Wagon 'Rallye'
Previous: 85 L series Touring Wagon, Auto to Manual conversion

Morcs

Post by Morcs » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:15 am

Auto Meter MonsterTachs with a shift light has a built in type of rev limiter not so much limiter but makes it miss a little so it reminds you change/ back off.
Have one on a Holden HX V8 ute.
Think it grounds the coil.
So many optioins not enough time or money:confused:

Return to “Electrical, Wiring and Lighting”