92 Brumby Headlights

How to fix gremlins & general maintenance issues ...
Lucky67

92 Brumby Headlights

Post by Lucky67 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:24 pm

G'day all,
Have been working on my new aquisition, a 92 Ag-Quip Brumby.
Discovered that a couple of the pressed steel "buckets" that the headlights sit in are rather rusty.
The LH outboard low beam one had even rusted so badly that the mounting bolt tab had failed.
Was on the hunt for some replacements at the local Pick'n'Payless.
Other than some L series wagons, the Subies were rather rare.
Noticed however that GH Sigmas (1980 - 82) have the same shaped headlights, being the 4 rectangular ones.
Also noticed that the Sigma headlights are semi-sealed and able to be fitted with globes, and my Brumby ones are sealed beams.
So perhaps an option for an upgrade here.
On the chance the Sigma ones fitted, I grabbed a pair for total cost of $10
When comparing the "buckets", (not sure what else to call them), the aluminium trims that hold the lamp in place have the 4 small screws in different spots between Mitsu and Subie, and Mitsu mounts them upside down to the Subie. But the overall dimension of the "bucket" with regards to mounting bolts looks the same.
Have not fitted them up yet as I am repainting them black, but I reckon they will work.
So could not fit the Mitsu ally trim onto a Subie bucket, but if you replaced the whole unit of lamp, bucket and trim it would bolt in

dwayneb

Post by dwayneb » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:54 pm

Toyota 80 series are a direct fit. Semi sealed is the way to go. I had to go to a few different wreakers to finally get a full set though.
Back in a Subaru, 03 Forester XS:D

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:11 pm

you may need to rewire them if you use the Sigma ones as some have provided a path to earth and it upsets the subie earth switching. Someone shoved one in my 92 Brumby before I bought it and it caused the high beams to be on at all times when headlight switch was on. Took me a swap out of headlight switch, combo switch to get to the cause. Bloody copper (of all people) was driving this for near a year like this.

Return to “Electrical, Wiring and Lighting”