shielding of O2 and pump wires???

How to fix gremlins & general maintenance issues ...
OKsubaru

shielding of O2 and pump wires???

Post by OKsubaru » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:54 pm

Can anyone explain why the power wire of efi fuel pumps and O2 sensors require shielding - the actual wire running inside braided stainless? steel sheath.

Have all those that have convetered a non efi car to efi observed these requirements or just gone ahead and wired oblivious to the need? Any bad experiences?
:)

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:53 pm

The o2 sensor operates on a low dynamic range (0.1 to 0.9v) and is thus sensitive to interference. The air flow meter, knock sensor, throttle sensor and crank angle sensor are usually shielded for the same reason.

The fuel pump on the other hand is shielded so that it doesnt inject its own interference (DC motors produce quite a lot of electrical noise) into surrounding wires.

When i converted my car, i used the whole efi loom. I chose to do it this way because i wanted the wiring for the electric windows, locks ect.
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

Return to “Electrical, Wiring and Lighting”