spark plugs

Get the most out of your Engine / Gearbox with these handy hints ...
smoov

spark plugs

Post by smoov » Fri Dec 16, 2005 8:20 am

g'day guys and girls.

my webbered EA82's (EA82W?? :P) performance has been suffering a wee bit, and I am interested in upgrading the electricals a bit.

Will start with the dizzy cap, then to leads, i already have an MSD Blaster 2, but the sparkplugs are the plugs that were installed new when the new motor came in.

Based on my weber and other associated mods, I was wondering what were the best spark plugs to throw at the old girl?? Hotter? Colder?? On the old forums, I remember discussions regarding this very topic.

Are the irridiums worth the rage and steep asking price?

Advice needed please :)

will pull out the plugs as soon as the motor cools down, and may even take some pics,

cheers

alex
1998 Subaru Legacy GTB

tim_81coupe
General Member

Post by tim_81coupe » Fri Dec 16, 2005 9:36 am

At the moment I'm running BPR6EIX Iridiums in my EA82W :P

I haven't noticed a difference at all between these and the much cheaper NGK V-groove BP6EY. There is a noticeable difference between these and the stock BP6ES.

My personal preference is really for the V-grooves, only reason Iridiums are in there atm is because I managed to start stripping the plug hole thread. :oops:

Oh - and when you've got the cap off don't forget the rotor!
82 MY Wagon, EJ20G

87 RX, EJ20G

89 Brumby, EA81

12 BRZ, FA20

BlackMale
General Member

Post by BlackMale » Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:16 am

I have been runnung the NGK for years with no issues. I thought about the more expencive but could not see any real gains - as far as cost per item v performance.

smoov

Post by smoov » Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:13 am

Ive just come back from my local reputable parts supplier.

he was out of stock of the BPR6EIX (i wanted to splash out, $20 per plug 8O )
instead, he sold me the BPR5EIX (a hotter plug). He claimed that I'll gain a tad little more performance out of it.

What you guys reckon? Would it be safe to run the BPR5EIX without any adverse side effects?

cheers
1998 Subaru Legacy GTB

subarursliberty

Post by subarursliberty » Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:13 am

Iridiums are just not worth the cash. I don't even run them in the RS anymore. I just run plain jane plugs and pull them out every 10,000-20,000.

Post by Guest » Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:04 pm

Well I gotta say that I planted some Iridiums in my EJ and I sure noticed a difference. Not so much in power or torque but the engine seemed to be revving smoother and much more freely. Or that could just be me trying to convince myself that I hadn't waisted $70.00.

As for hotter plugs increasing performance, if you did absolutely nothing more to the engine then yeah you'll see a slight benifit. With colder-range plugs you can dial in a fraction more advance. It will also depend on the gap too.

What gap do you peeps recommend?

BaronVonChickenPants
General Member

Post by BaronVonChickenPants » Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:43 pm

With the MSD blaster I run 1.1-1.2mm, it does make a difference from 0.8mm.

Jordan.
To become old and wise, first you must survive being young and dumb.

chubby37
General Member

Post by chubby37 » Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:58 pm

i run bosch super 4s and did notice a bit more power but it was and still is really crist on delivery.....they cost a lot more but when you look at changing standard plugs every 20tho it works out the same...super 4s last at least 100,000ks.i feel i get a better fuel burn and it does not run out of spark or clean spark under a good reving like the standard ones seemed to.i plan to do the coil upgrade too and see what it,s like with that and some good leads...hope thats a help. :wink:
ImageImage

life is like a game of cricket...at some time you will get hit in the nuts

chubby37
General Member

Post by chubby37 » Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:59 pm

ps.....oh and i just pulled the plugs out after 12 months of driving and they looked like new...put them in the new motor
ImageImage

life is like a game of cricket...at some time you will get hit in the nuts

Fury

Post by Fury » Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:03 pm

Iridiums are just not worth the cash. I don't even run them in the RS anymore. I just run plain jane plugs and pull them out every 10,000-20,000.
I Run Iridiums and just forget about them. I dont have to think about them till the clock hits a ton again. The $60 - $80 saved the first time that std plugs are instaled just means that every few months you have to do the job all over again - with yet more expense - eating into your saving, then again... and possibly again

I don't have money to burn, but so far I have put 35k on them, and pulled 1 to check the condition, which was like new. Buying std plugs every so often, you don't end up saving that much ( if at all) , but you do the job about 3 times at least ( they arn't the easiest plugs to get in and out anyway :roll: ) - which I find to be annoying with all the junk that is planted on the top of the EA82T engine.

... and definately went better and smoother than the reasonable looking std plugs that were pulled shortly after the new engine went in.

If you have your head firmly planted in the engine bay, constantly looking for something to do, by all means, change your plugs every 20 to 30k, but for me, it is set and forget... :wink:
Chris :cool:

'88 Vortex AWD turbo with "go hard" attitude -

WRX EJ20G and box , TD05 Turbo and 4.111 running gear.
5 Stud conversion (Crossbred Performance) Multi pot GT Legacy brakes and 17" rims
Plenty of plans... the plans are getting done slowly;).... getting there - NOT! ;)

KERRY

Post by KERRY » Mon Dec 26, 2005 6:40 pm

I followed this thread and still do not know what to get ?? did anyone have a concensus or not.

It sounds like the iridiams last longer but the v plugs give better performance ??

I am due for some now and cant get my head around all the advice BPS6ES sounds like the go, but I do not want to change plugs every 10 - 20,000klms because it can damage the thread on the head with replacing and checking them more often, then you have to helicoil or tap out the thread and reline it with the next plug.

I would rather do this job only once a year or every 50,000klms.

Anyone want to offer some advice ??

smoov

Post by smoov » Mon Dec 26, 2005 8:08 pm

irridiums for sure then. longevity being the primary thing here. i have noticed a greater amount of smoothness in the power delivery, and not so much as an increase in power....perhaps a smidge.

but, suprisingly, i did get an extra 50kms out of my tank, which is rather a welcome thing with me and the weber, at the moment!!

be warned though... these plugs do sell for about $20 a pop. If you can get cheaper (muddy has mentioned he got his for $15 a pop), then you're in front.

i once had super 4's in my car, and they were gone in like 40,000. I was a bosch fan, until i tried NGK's 8)
1998 Subaru Legacy GTB

wildhorse

Post by wildhorse » Tue Dec 27, 2005 7:33 am

I run iridiums and with all the other small improvements made at the same time, it is hard to say where the better performance is coming from, but to install and 'virtually'forget is a lovely thing. Go iridium.
Standard plug=$2.50 *4= $10, every 25,000 = $60 per 150,000kms
Iridium plug=$20 *4= $80 every 150,000 but no stripping or servicing.
Keep the rest of the motor serviced and you should get 150,000 kms out of iridiums easy. $20 difference and 2.5 hours labour minimum(half hour a check). sounds like value to me.

Tis only an opinion

tim_81coupe
General Member

Post by tim_81coupe » Tue Dec 27, 2005 11:38 am

Sounds like odd prices you guys are quoting there. $2.50 is quite cheap for a standard NGK plug, retail price is usually another dollar more than that. And Iridiums sell for a max of about $18 here in WA.
Suffice to say my iridiums cost me quite a bit less (around the $13 mark) so that was a factor in me going this way.

Iridiums are crap in boosted engines too. 16000km's in my EJ20T and they were all gunked up. I got so annoyed when I pulled them out that I rang the local NGK rep, who told me I should never have put them in a turbo motor to begin with. He recommended NGK Platinum or NGK V-groove. I had a bit of a chat to him about pros/cons of running each, but at the end of the day Platinums are more expensive than Iridiums. I'm now running BKR6EY in my coupe (V-groove).

I took a plug out of my wagon yesterday and had a look, still looking good with that shiny Iridium tip. It's only been 6000km's though, but I thought I'd check anyway.
82 MY Wagon, EJ20G

87 RX, EJ20G

89 Brumby, EA81

12 BRZ, FA20

KERRY

Post by KERRY » Tue Dec 27, 2005 2:09 pm

Thanks guys, looks like it will be NGK BPR6IEX x 4 for me then.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Tue Dec 27, 2005 3:36 pm

I contacted NGK with this sort of query , hoping they'd send a free sample, and the reply was that iridiums not any better in EA applications.
I just run the BP5ES or whatever my gas equivalent is supposed to be .
And you don't need iridiums to get 100,000km out of plugs. Unleaded keeps 'em kleen, I just regap them at 20,000 km and stick 'em back in.

Extra km out of a tank ?? Hope that stays consistent for ya!!

Maybe I should try iridium when I have the money to splurge ?

Return to “Engine, Gearbox and Diff”