EA82 power steering pulley wobble

Engine, gearbox, diff & driveshafts
ratters

EA82 power steering pulley wobble

Post by ratters » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:58 pm

Hi guys,

I happened to notice that the power steering pump pulley on my 89' L Series wagon was not running true, and infact I can grab it and wobble it a little bit. Does anyone know if the bearing is a replaceable part? Initially I thought to chase up a second hand pump but if the bearing is replaceable I would give it a go. I have a bearing puller and shop press so should be reasonably well equipped to do it. Have experience with other bearing replacements in various things.

At this stage its not making any funny noises, I was just lucky to notice it but I'm going to sort it out before it becomes a problem.

Cheers,
ratters

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:18 am

Hey ratters,

I'm not sure about the bearing being repairable. I once pulled one of these apart (EJ) with the intention to replace a seal - but never got around to putting it all back together as I got another unit.

They can be pulled apart and put back together though.

I would like to give you some confidence in saying that I've got a spare pump in the event it doesn't work out for you but I'd have to rummage around and am not confident that I've got a floater...

Let us know how you go with this!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Return to “EA Drivetrain”