MY EA81 radiator cooling fans

Get the most out of your Engine / Gearbox with these handy hints ...
Cliff R
General Member

Post by Cliff R » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:00 pm

New radiator arrived.

Short and Long stories following. Sorry it's all a bit long but stick with all of this as it tells a good story.

Short story first.
Radiator went straight in with both electric fans attached, no mods required at all.
It looks to be slightly wider but with rough measuring looks the same. The fans look to be slightly closer to the engine especially towards the Power Steering pump. Still, no issues and still enough clearance. There was a plastic drain plug in the drivers side tank which I removed and replaced with a steel plug.

Longer story now.
For those interested, I couldn't get a part number or manufacturer from my supplier. If anyone wants to order one of these radiators I can give you the suppliers company name and the contact (the owner). From talking to the supplier, there are 3 different radiators fitted to EA81 powered MY's/Brumbies.
The radiator I bought ONLY suits early MY's/Brumbies up to (we think) 83 or 84. This fits as my wagon is a 5th Month 1982.
This means anyone with a mid to late 80's or early 90's to end of manufacturer MY/Brumby, this radiator may not fit. I don't know what the differences are though.
This means for this weekend I managed to complete-
1. Pulled out all of the wiring loom that runs across the front of the car under the radiator to find where the front indicator power and earth wiring runs. Knew there was a fault and found where the earth wiring splices in it was all corroded and broken.
ran new earth wire across the car, re wrapped and wiring now into split flexible conduit too.
2. Replaced all accessible push mount wiring straps associated with holding the wiring under the radiator. Hint-used 6mm cable ties that come with the push mount adaptor fitted.
3. New crankshaft front oil seal installed.
4. New elec thermo fan thermo switch fitted to the new radiator.
5. New radiator installed.
6. New coolant used.
Had enough for now. Car is running a bit rough but this could be points/plugs/combination of both. Was like this before all the above work started. Ran the car with everything new fitted and the thermo fans came on with the temp gauge at about 1/3 level which is fine by me. At least they now work.

Again, if anyone wants one of these radiators let me know and I will pass on the info. I get nothing out of this except saving someone the hassle of finding a radiator that fits.

Return to “Engine, Gearbox and Diff”