EA81 Carby (manual choke) anti run on solenoid

Get the most out of your Engine / Gearbox with these handy hints ...
Cliff R
General Member

EA81 Carby (manual choke) anti run on solenoid

Post by Cliff R » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:12 pm

The wire on my EA81 carby (Hitachi ?) anti run on solenoid has finally given up and broken off about 3mm from right down inside the solenoid.
I hope to be able to get one more go at soldering the wire back on but this may or may not work.
Any idea on where to get a new one ?

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:30 pm

Find one on a used carby is about the only answer I've ever found :(

Even asked the guy who rebuilt my twins, he said nope not available...unless you want to spend hundreds (yes $2xx) of dollars EACH! :mad:
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

dfoyl

Post by dfoyl » Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:02 pm

I have a EA81 carby I'm about to throw out, can you put up a photo and I can see if it still has it.
1989 Brumby - Shiny new red paint, stroked EJ20 phase 2 SOHC with Darton sleeves bored to EJ22, Wiseco high-compression pistons, Delta 2000 grind cams , EJ/XT6 5 stud with WRX 4/2 pots, 5-speed, 86 GTS seats and so much more.
Contact me for reproduction XT6 hubs...and EA82 rear discs.

Cliff R
General Member

Post by Cliff R » Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:21 pm

dfoyl
Would you like a photo of the solenoid or the carby ?
Please don't toss the carby yet, is it a manual choke model ?

SuBaRiNo

Post by SuBaRiNo » Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:28 pm

10 years ago I had this problem when I was much younger and didn't even know what that wire did. Mobile mechanic came out... removed the solenoid... removed the plunger(and spring I think) bolted it back on and I never looked back. Never once had a problem with it after that and caused no bad side effects. might be worth a shot.

Dave
EJ conversion wiring harness cut downs available. Please PM or email (davem2000@hotmail.com) for details.

Cliff R
General Member

Post by Cliff R » Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:45 pm

I have done this before too but if for some reason the car wants to run on (lots of reasons for this) you have to basically stall it to make it stop.
I will get to the bottom of this just dont know how yet.

dfoyl

Post by dfoyl » Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:38 pm

1989 Brumby - Shiny new red paint, stroked EJ20 phase 2 SOHC with Darton sleeves bored to EJ22, Wiseco high-compression pistons, Delta 2000 grind cams , EJ/XT6 5 stud with WRX 4/2 pots, 5-speed, 86 GTS seats and so much more.

Cliff R
General Member

Post by Cliff R » Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:38 pm

dfoyl
What is this carby off ?
I don't see it as looking like mine (1982 EA81)

Following is the course of action I have taken with my solenoid which has bought me some time.

Firstly, I cleaned up the end of my solenoid to expose as much of the wire as possible.

Then soldered a new piece of wire on hoping it takes.

Then I fed an old battery terminal cover over the wire and the end of the solenoid (the covers you get with a new car battery) sealing it with eleco tape.

I then injected some "Glug Plug" into the cover. This stuff is available from Bunnings and is meant to be used to inject into timber holes where is goes hard and can be re-drilled. I like it as it gets quite hot during the curing stage (somehow gives me confidence), it expands a little as it cures (get it into cavities I may have missed) and it goes hard.

it goes hard within minutes and I left the cap on before reinstalling. Initial tests with power and I can hear the solenoid clicking in and out so in the next day or so I will start the car.

P.S cant start the car at the moment due to filling nice new shiny thing in the following photo.

dfoyl

Post by dfoyl » Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:06 pm

It came off an EA81 intake that I was given (by Volks-Baru in Dandenong). I shipped the intake to a BRAT owner in Guam and the carby has been sitting around collecting dust. I don't have a stock Brumby carby on mine anymore so didn't check it was a factory Hitachi :)
Looks like you have a solution now, so I'll bin this one.

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:20 pm

Not all EA81 Hitachi's had the anti-dieseling solenoid. I've seen at least 3 iterations of the Hitachi, some with and without it. It seems like the earlier versions all had it - the original engine from my wagon (1981) had one and the twins on the current engine (early engine judging by the lack of hydraulic lifters) have one each.

Loving the creative solution there Cliff! :)
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

Cliff R
General Member

Post by Cliff R » Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:47 pm

Now I just have to sort out the mess I created with the fitting of the new alternator.
Long story, will document this when time and patience permits.

Return to “Engine, Gearbox and Diff”