ea81 into l series

Get the most out of your Engine / Gearbox with these handy hints ...
bevelhead

ea81 vs ea82 engine mounts

Post by bevelhead » Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:59 pm

I just fitted an ea81 into my old mans l series and from what i have researched the engine mounts should fit...but they dont. The ea82 mounts are too short (top plate bolt spacing) to fit an ea81. So if you are retro fitting an ea81 into an ea82 engine bay you will need the ea81 mounts or at least the top steel mount plate for the ea81. Out of all the threads and posts i researched on subi forums i couldnt find an accurate answer or decent pics so i hope this helps someone else :)

ea82 mount atop ea81, 2nd pic shows extra length of ea81 mount clearer

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:11 pm

That's what I was going to mention as your original post was different.

As for the exhaust, if you're using the EA81 y pipe you'll have to ensure that you've got the spacers for the ERG pipe work on the shorter drop Y pipes.

Otherwise I reckon the EA81 would be a great combination with the L series configuration. If I wasn't EJ'd this is what I'd be looking into I reckon.

Glad you got it sorted ;)

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:55 pm

bevelhead wrote: Out of all the threads and posts i researched on subi forums i couldnt find an accurate answer or decent pics so i hope this helps someone else :)
Probably because not many people have thought about or done an EA81 swap into an L series :rolleyes: Would be interesting to see, if the performance (downgrade?) of the older engine in the heavier car is as bad as some might think.
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

bevelhead

Post by bevelhead » Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:49 pm

Got the y pipe to fit, just pulled it forward after manipulating (rubber mallet) gearbox exhaust hanger

Return to “Engine, Gearbox and Diff”