EA81 slight knock on cold start

Get the most out of your Engine / Gearbox with these handy hints ...
David D

EA81 slight knock on cold start

Post by David D » Tue May 05, 2015 11:18 pm

Hi everyone

I am gathering issues at an alarming rate at the moment!

My '87 Brumby has started briefly knocking on start up. Only lasts 1-2 seconds and isn't particularly harsh but still worries me none the less. Only happens if the car has stood overnight or equivalent and does not affect performance.
Any ideas what it might be?
I will try and get a clip on my phone if I get a chance but I'm not sure it'll be audible.
I really am not in a great position to embark upon my first engine rebuild at the moment!
Sorry for the vague info, any help appreciated.

Cheers

David D

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Wed May 06, 2015 8:45 am

oil pressure lack there of? due to cold oil being a bit thicker ? oil level bit low? Mine do same thing in the colder weather.
If you really wanted to do something, isolate the ignition from firing so you get to crank it over more until pressure has built up and no combustion takes place due to no spark until oil pressure has built up.

It dos sound a bit harsh on those first few seconds and is not good for bearings.

I beat Paul to an answer !i

Willy Fisterbottom

Post by Willy Fisterbottom » Wed May 06, 2015 9:15 am

The relief valve in your oil pump might be leaking and letting the oil drain back into the sump.

David D

Post by David D » Fri May 08, 2015 10:46 am

Thanks guys, interesting info. Always a lot to learn on here.
What are thoughts on getting an oil pump from the wreckers? I don't suppose there'll be any way to check it other that putting on the car?

David D

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Fri May 08, 2015 4:58 pm

The gregorys for the "MY" shows how to check the wear of the oil pump using feeler guages.

Or you could buy this brand new one (last one they have) from Ebay motors in the USA

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Sealed-Power ... 1e9b1d5651

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

JP147

Post by JP147 » Fri May 08, 2015 8:39 pm

Mine does it too, I'm pretty sure that's just the sound of the camshaft before it gets oil.
The book says change the oil pump around 100,000km. Seems a bit much though.
I got my oil pump from Subaru, but it's not cheap.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri May 08, 2015 8:56 pm

You can get an oil pump rebuild kit or at least a reseal kit.

I've purchased a second hand oil pump from the wreckers just incase I crack my oil pump housing. Plus it was only ~$32 with the oil pressure sender unit which is what I really wanted.

I've got a reseal kit ready to go. My issue is that I can't get the crank pulley off as it looks like someone's welded it on with some locktite...

Key tip: remove the crank pulley before attempting to remove the oil pump!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

JP147

Post by JP147 » Sat May 09, 2015 8:05 am

El_Freddo wrote:You can get an oil pump rebuild kit or at least a reseal kit.

I've purchased a second hand oil pump from the wreckers just incase I crack my oil pump housing. Plus it was only ~$32 with the oil pressure sender unit which is what I really wanted.

I've got a reseal kit ready to go. My issue is that I can't get the crank pulley off as it looks like someone's welded it on with some locktite...

Key tip: remove the crank pulley before attempting to remove the oil pump!

Cheers

Bennie
I have the most powerful IR 1/2" rattle gun, you can borrow it if you ever come to SA.
When I changed mine, I didn't need to remove anything. It is tight but I could get to all the bolts with a 1/4" ratchet and a medium extension, and I went it from the bottom, next to the bash plate. It made it a lot quiker, the job only took a few minutes.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat May 09, 2015 2:32 pm

That's unfortunately how you crack them if you're not careful!

Thanks for the offer, I don't know how you'd get a rattle gun in there without removing the radiator and AC condenser. Engine will be coming out to do the front and rear seals so it'll be done on a stand.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

David D

Post by David D » Sat May 09, 2015 7:51 pm

That ebay oil pump seems like a good price even with postage. Thanks for the link.

I have had mine off a while back to put a seal kit in it and I can't remember removing the crank pulley.

David D

Post by David D » Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:09 pm

Sorry, I know this is an old thread but I just thought I'd update it incase anyone reads it:

I changed the oil last month and the knock has gone. I thought I heard it once but might have just imagined it. I usually change oil every 6 months but left it a year this time (busy, blah blah, excuses... :oops:). I'll make sure I don't leave it that long again.
I'll still keep an eye on the situation as the oil pump will definitely be getting old now.

Cheers

David D

Return to “Engine, Gearbox and Diff”