Rough idle ea82t

Get the most out of your Engine / Gearbox with these handy hints ...
Vortex75

Rough idle ea82t

Post by Vortex75 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:00 am

Hey guys, just wondering what could be causing my ea82t to idle rough? It almost sounds like it's going to stall but doesn't. When driving it's fine, plugs are fine. It runs fine whilst driving, no misses or anything but if you heard it idle you'd think it'd dropped a cylinder. I'm looking at taking the heads off because I think I might have a dodgey head gasket but ATM there's no water in my oil. Any suggestions?
Canny

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:30 pm

So there is an idling issue - what makes you jump to the headgasket as the likeliest culpret? Are the spark plugs the only things that have been checked?

Couple of quick thoughts:
- Check if the ECU is complaining about anything (not sure how this is done with an EA82 one or if possible). Perhaps a sensor is playing up.
- You've indicated spark plugs are okay. They are all producing a good spark? Are they gapped correctly?
- Do you have any spare parts to swap over to test (such as air flow meter)?
- Are the spark plug leads all on properly and within resistance specification?
- Is your exhaust in good condition (perhaps collapsed Cat causing a blockage)?
- Are the fuel filters in good condition and not blocked?
- Could be a leaky injector seal, perhaps the o-rings aren't in the best condition?

timmo

Post by timmo » Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:49 pm

vacuum leak?
L series wagon EA82T (RIP)
'92 Liberty RS Turbo
GU Patrol Ute
Honda XR400R

Vortex75

Post by Vortex75 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:00 pm

Thanks guys, I mentioned the head gasket because I thought it might be the cause. I'll check the gap on the plugs tonight, how do I check if I'm losing vacuum? What gets me is it drives fines, same power and no misses.
Canny

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:11 pm

Does the EA82T still run a dizzy? Electronic no doubt. Problems I've had similar to this have all been dizzy and/or ignition lead related. Although on completely different engines to yours.
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:02 pm

can even be the fuel injector seals between seal and manifold

Sell it ;p

this EA82T is the EA82TS - S for spider manifold

idle speed is just shy of stalling - about the hardest state for the engine to be in - that is why you notice the miss at idle and nowhere else (i think)

the test for idle misses is while running, handbrake on, no kids about or smartalecs to honk the horn button :) spray a bit of nzzled CRC556, WD40 type stuff about from between the afm and injectpors following air path through throttle body. If you hear it suddenly pick up in a certain spray area, - that is your target area.

Return to “Engine, Gearbox and Diff”