2000 forester gbox selection

Get the most out of your Engine / Gearbox with these handy hints ...
skott64

2000 forester gbox selection

Post by skott64 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:04 am

hi guys new to site. trying to source a 5 spd manual transmission for 2000 forester type TY755XS1AA , not having much luck seem to be able to find autos but struggling to find manual box, Im in Townsville by the way.
so how do i know which box will be compatible so i can broaden my search instead of just looking for a 2000 forester box.
Had quite a bit of trouble since ive had the car ran fine for about a week or 2 then first long trip to work exhaust in radiator. (suspect maybe chemweld been used). so found ej 20 out of 2005 impreza fitted fine kept old manifold to keep all wiring the same ,wouldnt run, found timing gear on crank way different swaped those over and she ran like a dream, well first trip 500 K too work 100 k down the road she coffed, missed clanged and banged , the timing belt hyd tensioner bolt had broken, so another engine, all been good since now gearbox on its way out, grinding noise only under acceleration, if i back off it goes away and no noise in revers.
any help will be most appreciated.:)

taza
General Member

Post by taza » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:45 pm

What kind of grinding noise? Does it do it in all gears or just 1?
You could use a 99-08 Outback manual box as they have the same 4.11 front diff ratio and bolt in. Or a 97-08 foz bix will work. Most of the impreza or lib boxes run different final drive ratios..

I did the same thing with a 2003 2.5l outback motor but rebuilt it. Swapped the timing/ crank gear and it runs like a dream has heaps of power now!!

skott64

Post by skott64 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:32 am

It sounds like stuffed bearing. put the car on stands and ran it defiantly from box. noise in all gears only under acceleration and louder the harder you push it , and no noise in reverse. Found couple of boxes here in townsville but all have 300 k ihs on them and plenty of low k autos. Have got another box on its way from gold coast. found a few gearbox charts online with models and ratios seems to not include my trans, Assume it dosnt include the AU models.
Thanks for your reply and info should have new box waiting when i get back from work next.

Tigger

Post by Tigger » Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:53 pm

We have a similar noise coming from our gearbox too! Ours is a 2002 SF Forester with 325,000kms.
ImageImageImage
2012 Subaru Forester - 2.0D Premium ~ 2002 Subaru Forester - Limited (Lifted)

taza
General Member

Post by taza » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:44 pm

Be prepared for a new box. Probably the transfer case bearings or input shaft or 5th gear bearing thats at fault. Common with age.

Tigger

Post by Tigger » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:17 am

We are looking at getting another gearbox reconditioned that has an L Series L/R in it. The current gearbox has also started making clunking type of sound and a couple of people have suggested that the throwout bearing has gone in it as the clunking sound goes away when the clutch is in.
ImageImageImage
2012 Subaru Forester - 2.0D Premium ~ 2002 Subaru Forester - Limited (Lifted)

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:00 am

Clunking could also be a bearing tigger, more so if the clutch in trick only works at stationary idle, if it still occurs while changing gears it's be a bearing IMO.

As for the OP I'd stick with a foz box as the drive ratios may be different in the outback box, or the speedo gear could be different - just too many unknowns for me to safely say a 4.111:1 outback box will be the right swap over and perform the same as your old box.

Also look into the centre diff being the issue as these can flog out with uneven tyre wear or pressures.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Return to “Engine, Gearbox and Diff”