Brumby gearbox selector seal

Get the most out of your Engine / Gearbox with these handy hints ...
Gumbungle

Brumby gearbox selector seal

Post by Gumbungle » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:02 am

Hi all~
Can someone explain the procedure for replacing this seal, and also apart number? I'll do the sleeve split and bolt on the selector shaft, and finally fit the bushes I got from Frog about a year ago!

The replies I've seen here seem to mainly suggest whacking in a 5-sp., but that isn't an option at present.

The car is up on stands after having removed heads and sent away for doing up after oil in radiator and steam coming out the tailpipe became too much to put up with.
TIA,
cheers

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:44 pm

might help to drop rear gearbox cross member with box to allow better working angle, access while it is on stands. Think I used an electrician style flat blade screwdriver red handle to pick the old seal out.

FROG could help with the seal, or seeing it not look urgent, get the old one out and match up at a bearing and seal supplier. I did and wrote this down indside my Gregories

NOK could be NGK ? ARO 677G

genuine is 80671 6020

ATT :)

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:59 pm

I recently did my one on my brumby - I removed the gear lever and the bracket that you create the clamp fix with.

This gave me a free selector shaft to get the seal out and replace it.

I found it relatively easy, I put it off thinking it was going to be a difficult task. Best thing you can do is clean the area around the seal before starting.

Don't forget to use some plastic grease to prime the seal ;)

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Gumbungle

Post by Gumbungle » Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:00 pm

Thanks guys.
Will let everyone know how it went.
Good opportunity to rod the radiator and fix AC, etc., while heads are away.
cheers
Marcus

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:39 pm

El_Freddo wrote:Don't forget to use some plastic grease to prime the seal
Plastic or Rubber Grease? Personally never used Plastic Grease but would be interested to know if this works better than Rubber Grease.

As for replacing the seal, real easy job and would highly recommend getting a piece of nylon tube with an OD of the seal and an ID just a size or 2 above the selector shaft size and have the tube long enough to tap the seal in safely without damaging it.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat May 02, 2015 8:19 pm

RSR 555 wrote:Plastic or Rubber Grease? Personally never used Plastic Grease but would be interested to know if this works better than Rubber Grease.
I could have my wires crossed on this one, will have to double check.

The seals I've been using this stuff on have been good, much better than the grease I was previously using.

I've now got to replace the rear main on Redback as it's leaking - got the grease treatment :(

Ruby Scoo will have her rear main seal replaced and plastic/rubber greased up, I've already done the cam and crank seals. Gearbox will get the same treatment if I ever get it back together again :???:

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Return to “Engine, Gearbox and Diff”