92 Brumby with no choke

Get the most out of your Engine / Gearbox with these handy hints ...
Corax

92 Brumby with no choke

Post by Corax » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:45 pm

Hi All,

As the title says my recently purchased 92 Brumby appears to have no choke. If memory serves (its been a while since I've had a brumby) the choke is set by depressing the accelerator pedal before you start the engine? Is this right or am I completely wrong? If what I am doing is ok is there anything obvious that I can check with the carbi/choke to see if I can get it working? Please take into account here that I am not the most mechanically minded person as well :???:

Cheers,
Dave.

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:04 pm

Your brumby will have an electric choke and yes you set it by (with the ignition to start) pressing the accelerator once before starting. Do you have the gregorys ? if not it is here

showthread.php?t=16439

section 8 is the fuel system

It could be a loose wire or the choke could need adjusting.

PS you know where I am :)

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:24 pm

TOONGA wrote:Your brumby will have an electric choke and yes you set it by (with the ignition to start) pressing the accelerator once before starting.
Not start position but the ignition on position.

I find tapping the accelerator twice, then start the engine works for me. If you touch the accelerator after the engine has started the choke will turn off. I've found that it is usually 2 things that prevents the choke operating correctly. 1) Power to the Choke Controller and/or 2) Choke Butterfly Spring
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

Corax

Post by Corax » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:39 pm

Thanks guys, will have a look this weekend if I get the chance. Cant really get to her at the mo as dads got her covered masking tape and newspaper as he's going to get stuck into the rust tomorrow.

SuBaRiNo

Post by SuBaRiNo » Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:03 pm

I have this on mine and it's lost the ignition feed to the electric choke... Someone had done a dodgy bypass to the positive side of the coil which was working. I have quickly neatened it up by getting power from the idle cut off fuel valve thingo on the carb which is also ign.

Some research I did.... It appears this power feed is controlled by a module under the dash which apparently gets a reading from a revolution sensor (more than likely the negative side of the coil). So when the motor is detected as running then the choke is supplied power.

My understanding is... Without power at the choke the choke would simply stay on and never turn off. The coil inside the choke heats up and this heat is what turns it off slowly over time. Like a mega old style timer. If I'm right then it's more likely the choke itself needs adjusting or is faulty not the wiring.

Like I said... This is just my understanding at this stage.

Dave

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:13 pm

SuBaRiNo wrote:I have this on mine and it's lost the ignition feed to the electric choke... Someone had done a dodgy bypass to the positive side of the coil which was working. I have quickly neatened it up by getting power from the idle cut off fuel valve thingo on the carb which is also ign.

Some research I did.... It appears this power feed is controlled by a module under the dash which apparently gets a reading from a revolution sensor (more than likely the negative side of the coil). So when the motor is detected as running then the choke is supplied power.

My understanding is... Without power at the choke the choke would simply stay on and never turn off. The coil inside the choke heats up and this heat is what turns it off slowly over time. Like a mega old style timer. If I'm right then it's more likely the choke itself needs adjusting or is faulty not the wiring.

Like I said... This is just my understanding at this stage.

Dave
Yeah Dave, this is my understanding of it too. From memory, there's some sort of bi-metal thingie inside the choke controller that bends as it gets hot. I'm sure it stays powered whenever the ignition is on and only cools down when the ignition is off for a long period of time.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Cliff R
General Member

Post by Cliff R » Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:02 pm

Sorry, this is no help, but I do love my manual choke.

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:23 pm

page 115 of section 8 of the gregorys

http://rapidshare.com/files/369418955/0 ... system.pdf

shows the choke disasembled

this page from the 83 FSM shows the choke as well

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:51 am

Cliff R wrote:Sorry, this is no help, but I do love my manual choke.
Me too and the best thing I like on the Subaru is that it used to tell me (light on the dash) when the engine was warm enough to push the choke back in :)

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Corax

Post by Corax » Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:54 pm

Me to (three?). Would much prefer a manual choke over an auto one. I think I used to have a brumby where you set the choke and once the motor warmed up it would 'pop' the handle back in ie turn itself off. Still cant get near my car, the old boy is sprayin and sanding madly.

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:22 am

From memory there was a kit you could buy to convert from auto to manual but it's been a long time since I'm had to fit one.

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Return to “Engine, Gearbox and Diff”