EA81 Weber or spfi?

Get the most out of your Engine / Gearbox with these handy hints ...
MuZ

EA81 Weber or spfi?

Post by MuZ » Wed May 14, 2014 6:27 pm

So it's gonna be a fair while before I manage an ej conversion in the brumby so in an effort to squeeze more power out of it between now and then im thinking weber or SPFI system.

Can anyone give me some pros and cons of each and how hard is the SPFI conversion?

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Wed May 14, 2014 6:41 pm

ask Tweety, El-Freddo and tambox what they think about spfi here in Australia.

Whip the heads off to shave 'em to the shtouse, lap the valves, enlarge the six holes for inlet man to heads bolt holes coz ya shaved it, and stick to a Weber
I found both EA81s I fitted up an EA82 with cat Y pipe went better, torquier, an extra 10 kph outta third - true GPS 110 kph ! Better economy, but maybe not all at the same time :D

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Wed May 14, 2014 7:02 pm

A Weber on an EA82 intake manifold works quite well, has alot more puff when getting up to 100 km/h. SPFI parts could be hard to come by, brand new Webers' are readily available already set up for Brumby use.
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

MuZ

Post by MuZ » Wed May 14, 2014 7:20 pm

So weber, ea82 intake manifold and ea82 y pipe and cat and I should be doin alright yeah?

steptoe you mentioned economy. What could I expect just driving normally in no hurry? I was under the impression economy would go to poo with a weber

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Wed May 14, 2014 8:43 pm

If you go the EA82 intake route make sure you know what mods are required first, below is my writeup from when I did the conversion. Shows which parts you need (adapters and spacers) which holes you need to plug, what lugs to grind off etc. My fuel economy is slightly worse than my stock Hitachi, rough estimate a touch under 10L per 100k on 98 RON, where my Hitachi used more like 8.5L per 100k.

showthread.php?t=24889
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Thu May 15, 2014 7:48 am

can't really comment on what you would get economy wise, so many variables and reasons etc. I think mine became torquier, wasn't revving it as much, might have got an extra 30 kms to a tank ??? Extra half litre to 100km ??

sublime

Post by sublime » Thu May 15, 2014 11:50 am

A Weber will not give you more power on its own. If the original Hitachi carb is not working well then a Weber will give much better drivability. The choke mechanism of the Weber is superior IMHO.

With a Weber the key word is 'drivability' not power. Certainly SPFI would give more power and torque (and $$$$).

In my experience the Weber is no different to the Hitachi in terms of fuel economy if driven normally... Constantly opening the secondaries (for that throaty Weber sound! :)) might change that...
Old Boxer Tricks
1980 Brumby
1978 4WD Station Wagon
1974 DL Sedan
1974 GSR Coupe

Return to “Engine, Gearbox and Diff”