4 speed gearbox (gear 3.9) and EJ254

Get the most out of your Engine / Gearbox with these handy hints ...
NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:15 pm

STiAMV wrote:Vin is different from the Australian, that's how it looks like JF3AU5KL01G518012
VIN: how to read a Subaru VIN

Position 11 [size=-1]- Manufacturing plant and Transmission
[/size][size=-1]G: manual AWD, [/size][size=-1][SIZE=-1]Japan built

[/size]Unfortunately thats all I can see from this site :(
[/SIZE]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Owner SubieLiftOz, lift kits for Subarus :twisted:

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:32 pm

STiAMV wrote:Vin is different from the Australian, that's how it looks like JF3AU5KL01G518012
This site is good:
http://www.vindecoder.net/?vin=JF3AU5KL ... mit=Decode

Says: "Transmission type: AWD MT5 5/R"; "85-87 2nd gen. Leone/DL/GL Brat"

Wikibooks.org says "G: Full-time AWD 5M"

Is yours part time FWD or full time AWD?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

STiAMV

Post by STiAMV » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:35 pm

NachaLuva wrote:This site is good:
http://www.vindecoder.net/?vin=JF3AU5KL ... mit=Decode

Says: "Transmission type: AWD MT5 5/R"; "85-87 2nd gen. Leone/DL/GL Brat"

Wikibooks.org says "G: Full-time AWD 5M"

Is yours part time FWD or full time AWD?
I have constant front-wheel drive, and then I connect the arm-wheel drive!Finally figured out, thank you so much, now we know it's not a ghost!
Subaru Forester EJ201 МТх2 JP 2001.-there are
Subaru Impreza EL154 SS EU 2008-there are
Subaru BRAT ЕА81 MTx2 EU 1989.-there are

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:33 pm

Subaru system says this number is incorrect (clearly we know that this is not right as we can see it is) but the VIN code is different in every country. They didn't standardize this till later on. Also Japan cars don't follow this anyway, you can see this when you buy late model Subarus from Japan.. all the VIN start with the body code, i.e GC8-12345678 for early WRX, BD5-12345678 for Legacy, SF5-12345678 for Forester.

Clearly this is obvious, as we can see this isn't a FT-AWD gearbox.. this box in this Brat is a PT-4WD, meaning this gearbox is front wheel drive and select 4WD on demand.

As I've mentioned before.. TW70F is a 4 Speed gearbox. A 5 Speed gearbox starts with TW75F

Until you you can prove that the KM/H changes with every gear at 2000RPM then I'm afraid to tell you that you have a 4 speed box. There is no ghost 5th gear.. sorry to tell you.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:36 pm

Pictures of the EA81 4 Speed gearbox

Picture of 5 speed gearbox in a MY Series. Please take note of the Clutch Fork and D/R Lever
Another picture of the 5 speed gearbox

Here’s a closer picture of AP’s gearbox. He will have lots of pics if you’re still unsure.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:07 pm

Thanks Paul. I should have said that those sites aren't proof, just more pieces to the puzzle. These sites do state that the code isn't standardized & varies between countries & years.

I think you're right, apart from stripping the box the only way to know is to put it in drive in each gear & see the revs. Perhaps "5th" gear is just another "3rd" gear.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:17 pm

More like confusing people with crap. I'd only go by what Subaru say (numbers on the box) as these are the people that built it. Unless someone else has modified it but again I say, I cannot see physically how this could be done, as the box has a completely different design inside.

The other point to consider is that it's in Low Range in 4th gear and when he moves to the so called 5th, he is actually moving into 3rd gear High Range, thus giving the appearance of a 5th lower rpm. Because these 4 speed boxes have a very bad shifter design, I'm going to say it's knocking the 4WD lever on the way to the fake 5th.

I'm sorry to say but I think I've said enough and really cannot help anymore than what's been offered already.

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

STiAMV

Post by STiAMV » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:50 pm

Guys thank you, kind of like a clearer theme with manual transmission,that then advise to put the EJ254 of MT.

Looking for a 5 speed manual 2WD/4WD + LOW or leave 4 speed manual 2WD/4WD + LOW but with a ratio of 3.9 (lying on my left)?
Subaru Forester EJ201 МТх2 JP 2001.-there are
Subaru Impreza EL154 SS EU 2008-there are
Subaru BRAT ЕА81 MTx2 EU 1989.-there are

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:24 am

Not sure what you have at your disposal over there.

1. Did you get the Gen2 Legacy? Not the Outback/Lancaster
2. Do you know if it was available with the High/Low dual range gearbox?

If the above is available, then I would use this, as these are 3.9 final drive. This model is EJ powered, so you can bolt directly up to the EJ254 engine, remember to use all the flywheel and clutch setup from the gearbox parts. You will require some custom brackets to hold the transmission in place, also you will be required to modify the tail/prop shaft, gearshifter setup, inner CV joints and clutch cable setup.

If the above is not available, you will need a gearbox from the 85 onwards Leone model (EA82 powered) but these are available in both 3.7 and 3.9, so you'll need to check before purchase. Using these type of transmissions, you will require some custom brackets to hold the transmission in place, also you will be required to modify the tail/prop shaft, gearshifter setup and clutch cable setup, plus you will need an adaptor plate and you will need the EA82 flywheel (modified to suit EJ) and all its clutch setup.

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Return to “Engine, Gearbox and Diff”