4 speed gearbox (gear 3.9) and EJ254

Get the most out of your Engine / Gearbox with these handy hints ...
STiAMV

Post by STiAMV » Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:19 pm

NachaLuva wrote:You're doing fine :mrgreen:

Well, it sure is a 5 speed ;) Is it the original gearbox or do you think its been replaced at some time?
I have experience with this model very little , even taking into account the model Leone where already put 5 speed transmission , my not similar at all, but given the market Finland and year , perhaps because that was the BRAT 5 speed transmission ?!
Subaru Forester EJ201 МТх2 JP 2001.-there are
Subaru Impreza EL154 SS EU 2008-there are
Subaru BRAT ЕА81 MTx2 EU 1989.-there are

STiAMV

Post by STiAMV » Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:26 pm

in technical documentation, I also see a 4-speed gearbox , but it begs the question that then turns to the right and up , strangely enough but it may be only 5 speed or Ghost )))

in short I am a driver with a great experience , but I'm confused probably have to remove the case and examine the moves of the shift lever.
RSR 555 wrote:Ok.. no worries. We try and work throught this.

From the pictures, I can see that this a 4 speed dual range EA81 gearbox. I'm not aware or have ever seen a 5 speed dual range with this sort gearbox casings. As I've rebuilt many of these gearboxes, I cannot see how they could fit the 5th gearset in them. There was a 5 speed available for the EA81 but it was only available in 2WD.

So, with this new transmission code, I believe your gearbox to have the following ratios...

1st 3.666
2nd 2.157
3rd 1.266
4th .885
Rev 4.100
Low 1.462
Final 3.7

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:23 pm

Haha its not a ghost lol, definitely 5 speed ;-)

Maybe Finland had 5 speed brumbies, perhaps it was a private conversion. Does it work? Have you driven it?

To check the diff ratio, what if you put it on stands so the wheels are off the ground, put it in 4WD, put marks on the tyres with chalk or tape & idled it in 1st gear...the tyres should rotate at the same speed if the ratios are the same
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Owner SubieLiftOz, lift kits for Subarus :twisted:

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

STiAMV

Post by STiAMV » Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:48 pm

I have front drive removed ( they came in disrepair ) and one пререднем drive is not self-CV , now I drive on the connected 4WD .

Yes, I was not able to go on the track , ride on a small piece around to the garage , if the include and moving only 1,3,5 transmission 5 transfer the machine is already stalls , and 1 and 3 car rides!

Come to the conclusion that costs 5 manual transmission!
NachaLuva wrote:Haha its not a ghost lol, definitely 5 speed ;-)

Maybe Finland had 5 speed brumbies, perhaps it was a private conversion. Does it work? Have you driven it?

To check the diff ratio, what if you put it on stands so the wheels are off the ground, put it in 4WD, put marks on the tyres with chalk or tape & idled it in 1st gear...the tyres should rotate at the same speed if the ratios are the same

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:01 pm

Are you able to put the car up on stands and make the wheels turn free of the ground? Also, do you have a tachometer? I would like to know what speed you are doing at 2000rpm in every gear.

Sorry, I just find it strange that we had the Brumby (or Brat as you call it) sold in Australia upto 1992 and if there was a 5 speed available for it, then Subaru Australia would have asked for it, as they got hundreds of complaints that the new model L.Series (from 1985 onwards) had the 5 speed transmission and the Brumby didn't.

The one thing that it could be, is someone else has pulled the gearbox apart and fitted the L.Series gearset but this would have been a mission, the 4 speed internals are not the same. I've even fitted a EJ front casings to a 4 speed and believe me, I would have fitted the 5 gearset if I could.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

niterida
General Member

Post by niterida » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:18 pm

I had a Brumby / Brat with a 4 speed in it a few years ago and the gear lever used to move and feel like it was a 5 speed - but it was definitely only 4 speed. Maybe you have the same problem with the gear shift ??
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:25 pm

niterida wrote:I had a Brumby / Brat with a 4 speed in it a few years ago and the gear lever used to move and feel like it was a 5 speed - but it was definitely only 4 speed. Maybe you have the same problem with the gear shift ??
Exactly the reason for seeing the speed at 2000rpm. I'm guessing in "5th" gear it's going to be slower than 4th gear
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:31 pm

I just had another brain fart..

Why don't you grab your VIN/Chassis number and call or go into your local Subaru parts dealer and ask them for a replacement 5th gearset.

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

STiAMV

Post by STiAMV » Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:12 am

On the stand there was no room available , tachometer, too.

Checked with the designated included 1, 3 and like 5 transmission and tried to get under way , 1 and 3 transfer I touch with space at a small turnover of the engine , but the Ghost of 5 transmission shuts down the machine at the same engine speed.

I guess you need to assemble a Council house and figure out how much same speeds.
RSR 555 wrote:Are you able to put the car up on stands and make the wheels turn free of the ground? Also, do you have a tachometer? I would like to know what speed you are doing at 2000rpm in every gear.

Sorry, I just find it strange that we had the Brumby (or Brat as you call it) sold in Australia upto 1992 and if there was a 5 speed available for it, then Subaru Australia would have asked for it, as they got hundreds of complaints that the new model L.Series (from 1985 onwards) had the 5 speed transmission and the Brumby didn't.

The one thing that it could be, is someone else has pulled the gearbox apart and fitted the L.Series gearset but this would have been a mission, the 4 speed internals are not the same. I've even fitted a EJ front casings to a 4 speed and believe me, I would have fitted the 5 gearset if I could.

STiAMV

Post by STiAMV » Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:15 am

as seen on the video backlash handle shifter is very large , perhaps you are right , I need to remove the covers and look at the mechanism , the only way I should be happy )))

niterida wrote:I had a Brumby / Brat with a 4 speed in it a few years ago and the gear lever used to move and feel like it was a 5 speed - but it was definitely only 4 speed. Maybe you have the same problem with the gear shift ??

STiAMV

Post by STiAMV » Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:17 am

all dealers in Russia could not help me with my VIN ((( , the last letter I sent to the Finnish dealer Subaru - response is not received(((
RSR 555 wrote:I just had another brain fart..

Why don't you grab your VIN/Chassis number and call or go into your local Subaru parts dealer and ask them for a replacement 5th gearset.

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:00 am

The TW70F code shows that it's a 4 speed, so having it stall in the ghost 5th speed makes sense but this is not from factory, maybe custom fit.

Is the cars originally from Russia? or imported?

What do you mean they could not help you with your VIN/Chassis number? They surely must be able to... even my Subaru guys can help me with my imported VIN/Chassis numbers.. even know they are completely different to the Australian ones.

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:57 am

Send Frog a PM:
member.php?u=906

Give him your VIN & ask him to check it for you. He's very helpful, works at a Subaru dealership in Oz & really knows his stuff!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

STiAMV

Post by STiAMV » Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:54 pm

there is no such model Subaru posavlyalis not in Russia, brought from Finland.

I understand Russian dealer just got rid me, lazy, good word for do not want to help (((

Yes, Vin is different from the Australian, that's how it looks like JF3AU5KL01G518012
RSR 555 wrote:The TW70F code shows that it's a 4 speed, so having it stall in the ghost 5th speed makes sense but this is not from factory, maybe custom fit.

Is the cars originally from Russia? or imported?

What do you mean they could not help you with your VIN/Chassis number? They surely must be able to... even my Subaru guys can help me with my imported VIN/Chassis numbers.. even know they are completely different to the Australian ones.

STiAMV

Post by STiAMV » Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:56 pm

and how can it help me in this situation ?
NachaLuva wrote:Send Frog a PM:
member.php?u=906

Give him your VIN & ask him to check it for you. He's very helpful, works at a Subaru dealership in Oz & really knows his stuff!

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:22 pm

STiAMV wrote:there is no such model Subaru posavlyalis not in Russia, brought from Finland.

I understand Russian dealer just got rid me, lazy, good word for do not want to help (((

Yes, Vin is different from the Australian, that's how it looks like JF3AU5KL01G518012
All VIN/Chassis number around the world can be checked on the Subaru system, no matter what country.

I too think your Russian dealer is very lazy and did not want to help.

Can you please recheck your VIN (or take picture for me) because the system is saying you have invalid numbers. I'm sorry to be asking, I just want to help you.

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

STiAMV

Post by STiAMV » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:53 am

Here is a photo of my body

RSR 555 wrote:All VIN/Chassis number around the world can be checked on the Subaru system, no matter what country.

I too think your Russian dealer is very lazy and did not want to help.

Can you please recheck your VIN (or take picture for me) because the system is saying you have invalid numbers. I'm sorry to be asking, I just want to help you.

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:27 am

Thanks for this.. I shall get back to you soon

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:57 pm

STiAMV wrote:Here is a photo of my body
Google translations can be very funny...I was expecting to see you in a mankini :roll::p

Hopefully we can sort this out for you soon. I know I cant wait to see if you really do have a 5 speed or a ghost! :mrgreen:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post by 60766244 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:34 pm

NachaLuva wrote:Google translations can be very funny...I was expecting to see you in a mankini :roll::p

Hopefully we can sort this out for you soon. I know I cant wait to see if you really do have a 5 speed or a ghost! :mrgreen:
Exactly what I thought was coming with the image loading... Hah. Go the translate!
Otter the 2004 Outback with all the fruit.
Possible Improvements: Rigid 12db Phone Aerial Fitted, Air-compressor w/ Hose & Air-Tank, Jerry Holders, Lift, Nudgebar and Spots?

|| Ausubaru Wiki: New AUSubaru Wiki, About the Wiki || My Ex, Maple the Brumby, Rack, Lift Kit, Raptor-Liner Tray || Shed: Benches ||

Return to “Engine, Gearbox and Diff”