Electric Water Pump

Get the most out of your Engine / Gearbox with these handy hints ...
tambox

Electric Water Pump

Post by tambox » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:41 pm

Anybody had anything to do with electric water pumps?
I am about to fit an EWP to my EJ22 LPG L series, with a D.C. water pump and controller.
According to their specs,as well as chatting with them, its much more efficient, less cavitation and more HP/economy.
In theory this will help running hot in traffic and 4WDing in summer.
Also it runs the pump and thermo fans after you turn the ign off, to stop heat soak.
Just after any input from others before this begins.
L serious, still.

brumbyrunner
General Member

Post by brumbyrunner » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:43 am

I use one in my racecar because the factory water pump cannot do the job of pulling the coolant from the rear mounted radiator.
If you have a comparable EJ22 radiator in good condition in your L, I see no reason why the factory water pump needs any help.
Settlement Creek Racing

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:59 am

The D.C. being a well known brand - Craigie Daves , who uses Panasonic fans not DC as in Direct Current.

Cavitation is a cause contributing to failed head gaskets and cooked heads according to a few head reconditioners - possibly an excuse to get out of some warranty claims maybe ??

Some make the factory and after market replacement water pumps sound like bubble bath generators with the air bubbles moving on to little pockets about the place - turning into steam, causing hot spots - stuffinhg heads and gaskets -then overheating

I know the specs list a certain level of expected service hours, and that doubles with the use of the controller.

DC claimed cars of the future wil have to run electric control for further efficiency - six or seven years ago - or more - still waiting to see that. They have brought in stop start tech first !

tambox

Post by tambox » Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:43 pm

A bigger radiator would be nicer, I am running an aluminium core Pulsar radiator that has more capacity than the standard radiator. The biggest problem is 4wding on hot days, with the A/C on, climbing steep hills, then waiting or being held up. Also stuck in heavy traffic, I mean stuck, on hot days with A/C on.
Turn the A/C off fixes it as well, but hey whats the point of having it.

Reving the motor slightly helps in these conditions, thats why the theory of having better water flow and less cavition as well post turn off cooling, should improve things.

Driving at a reasonable speed, none of the problems occur.

Its just to try something different and to see how good these electric water pumps are.
Just worried about wheel spinning from the extra power it will give me :cool:
L serious, still.

stork955

Post by stork955 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:01 am

G'day, keep in mind there is nothing for free, the power you save not driving the water pump goes in driving the alternator with the extra electrical load.

cheers,

Stork

Return to “Engine, Gearbox and Diff”