Urgent! Experts! - Rear Bushing for 2nd Gen Liberty Diff mounted on Brumby...

Get the most out of your Engine / Gearbox with these handy hints ...

Urgent! Experts! - Rear Bushing for 2nd Gen Liberty Diff mounted on Brumby...

Post by 60766244 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:02 pm

The rear diff bushing on my Brumby has deteriorated. I've finally got sick of the "DOONK" noise whenever I change down. So, I'm going to replace it.

I've tried getting in there with a set of calipers, ruler, etc. Too tight to get an accurate measurement...

I'm trying to avoid having to pull it apart twice so I'm asking here. :mrgreen:

The local Autoone has no parts listed for a Brumby other than filters and the correct size for a 2nd Gen Liberty diff I've been told is 55mm - so I think that might be it...

How possible is it to cut-down a bushing if it's too big?... :rolleyes:
Are they hollow or solid rubber underneath that steel ring?

They're about $100 so I want to be fairly close to spot on if I can...

If anyone has any knowledge on the subject I am all eyes and ears. :cool:
Otter the 2004 Outback with all the fruit.
Possible Improvements: Rigid 12db Phone Aerial Fitted, Air-compressor w/ Hose & Air-Tank, Jerry Holders, Lift, Nudgebar and Spots?

|| Ausubaru Wiki: New AUSubaru Wiki, About the Wiki || My Ex, Maple the Brumby, Rack, Lift Kit, Raptor-Liner Tray || Shed: Benches ||

Alex
Elder Member

Post by Alex » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:06 pm

i remember someone buying a nolathane 'block' or soemthing which was intended for cutting down to any size needed.

im pretty sure its okay to cut them down. Im also 95% sure it'll be a solid block.

someone else will be able to give concrete information though.

alex

Post by 60766244 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:22 pm

Alex wrote:i remember someone buying a nolathane 'block' or soemthing which was intended for cutting down to any size needed.

im pretty sure its okay to cut them down. Im also 95% sure it'll be a solid block.

someone else will be able to give concrete information though.

alex
Do you know where you can get those blocks or the cost? I asked AutoOne and they weren't sure. Usually those boys are fairly helpful.

Cheers for the imput. :)
Possible Improvements: Rigid 12db Phone Aerial Fitted, Air-compressor w/ Hose & Air-Tank, Jerry Holders, Lift, Nudgebar and Spots?

|| Ausubaru Wiki: New AUSubaru Wiki, About the Wiki || My Ex, Maple the Brumby, Rack, Lift Kit, Raptor-Liner Tray || Shed: Benches ||

Alex
Elder Member

Post by Alex » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:40 pm

not sure if this is useful. probably good fun it cut it down! (probably easier to find the actual part)

http://www.nolathane.com.au/do_segue.ph ... ehicle=ALL

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:19 pm

Gen 2 Liberty bushing wont fit on Brumby as its bigger/longer.
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1995 Liberty "Rallye" - 5MT AWD, LSD - *written off 25/8/06 in towing accident.
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page
Sold at 385,000kms in July 2011.
2007 Liberty BP Wagon, 2.5i automatic

scoobymine

Post by scoobymine » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:38 pm

Ring Liam at Bunbury Subaru. If there's a part, he'll get it and post it to you.

Post by 60766244 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:18 pm

AlpineRaven wrote:Gen 2 Liberty bushing wont fit on Brumby as its bigger/longer.
Cheers
AP
Well that diff is already connected on there... So there's gotta be some way... Maybe the diff mount was changed as part of the install?
scoobymine wrote:Ring Liam at Bunbury Subaru. If there's a part, he'll get it and post it to you.
Cheers, your confidence is encouraging - so far I've tried to stay away from anything official Subaru as they're usually so expensive. :rolleyes:
Alex wrote:not sure if this is useful. probably good fun it cut it down! (probably easier to find the actual part)

http://www.nolathane.com.au/do_segue.ph ... ehicle=ALL
That looks like a lot of fun! Right now I think I am going to get the 55mm Liberty one, see if it fits, and if it doesn't then I will make it fit. ;)

The old bushing steel ring is still in there so I could use that around the new ring.

From what I can see it looks like it fits a 50mm bushing but since I can't get the verniers close enough It looks like it might be down to taking a punt.

stenno

Post by stenno » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:55 pm

Recast the existing bush with sikaflex. Use something like 227 or whatever gives your desired hardness level. Pour it in 1cm lots so it dries completely before pouring the next layer. Don't pour it completely in 1 shot as it never fully sets in the middle. Make sure you clean the old rubber bush with wax and grease remover really well to ensure it bonds well.

http://www.clubcalibra.com/engine-tunin ... #msg577122 as an example.
Google "DIY suspension bush sikaflex"for more guides and "sikaflex shore hardness" for what product sets at what hardness. Maybe the web also knows what hardness say white line suspension bushes are to give you a guide

stenno

Post by stenno » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:04 pm

On second thoughts it might be sikaflex 252 I bought to use. Can check in daylight for the tube. Haven't finished the engine conversion yet so the diff mounts haven't been a priority yet

Wow!

Post by 60766244 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:06 pm

Stenno wow! Cheers!
"Dayyyuum"
That's a lot cheaper than a $100 bushing! I don't have any sikaflex sitting about but I have a heap of polyurethane glue I use it loads in my custom knife and Micarta making..! (For those who haven't clicked the link, it suggests the use of that too.)

I may try this over the weekend. Soo much cheaper. Bunnings sells 1L bottles of the glue for $16!

WeeGee

Post by WeeGee » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:26 pm

scoobymine wrote:Ring Liam at Bunbury Subaru. If there's a part, he'll get it and post it to you.

He's a very cluey guy, definately worth the extra couple of bucks to get exactly what you need.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:41 am

and remeber if you use a 'thane product you will get a harder bushing/mount. Might be stronger but the harder they are the more transfer . I used engine mounts in red 'thane and wished I didn't. Probly better pulling the bracket and have one of those black rubber inserts pressed in - and there is also quality and quality with those too !

Not a lot of work to get the bracket out of a normal Brumby - think you leave mo bar in place to hold things .....

scoobymine

Post by scoobymine » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:33 pm

You'd be surprised that some Brumby parts from Subaru are quite competitive. I'd still give Liam a call, or you could try JC Whitney in the U.S. They have virtually every part available for the Brat/Brumby. Cheap parts, postage a little stiff. I've bought stuff from them, and you still come out well in front.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:42 pm

Tried contacting FROG on the forum about it? You'll be surprised what he can come up with!

I know he's on the other side of the country from you but it's worth a try...

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Post by 60766244 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:35 pm

Thankyou all for your assistance. :)

I'm resolved to try fabricate my own bushing.

I'll let you all know how it goes (or doesn't). :mrgreen:

Post by 60766244 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:10 pm

So after much bashing, pressing and heating I resolved that I could not remove the bushing ring-steel from the outer part. Didn't budge.

So, I poured some special silicon mixed with cotton fibres (yeah composites ;) ) and it's been curing all day... It seems to be coming along good.

Tonight I will fit it back into the car. Tomorrow I will drive it about 3kms to work...

Hopefully when I look underneath it when I arrive it will all be in one piece. :D

Venom
General Member

Post by Venom » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:14 pm

I just did the trailing arm bushes in my car. Sounds like a similar thing with a rubber bush with an outer metal sleeve pushed into the housing.

I used a hack saw blade to remove the rubber centre. Then carefully cut two slots into the sleeve. That pops out a little section and the sleeve drops straight out.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post by 60766244 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:53 pm

Venom wrote:I just did the trailing arm bushes in my car. Sounds like a similar thing with a rubber bush with an outer metal sleeve pushed into the housing.

I used a hack saw blade to remove the rubber center. Then carefully cut two slots into the sleeve. That pops out a little section and the sleeve drops straight out.
That was going to be my next option today, but I figured I would try this first. :)

Only thing different is that I hammered my center out easily because it was so damaged, :rolleyes: then Dremelled out all the old ribbons of rubber, cleaned it all before I put in the compound to bind it all back together.

Subaru Bunbury will be my next contact if what I did today fails...

Also it seems the mount fits a 45mm bushing, now that I had it out, I figured I should answer my own question. :mrgreen:

Post by 60766244 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:37 am

The home-made bodge job of a bushing seems to be working. :)

At least it might save me some $$ until I get a proper job again!

Return to “Engine, Gearbox and Diff”