Fitting L Series P/S Pump to MY Brumby

Get the most out of your Engine / Gearbox with these handy hints ...
555Ron

Fitting L Series P/S Pump to MY Brumby

Post by 555Ron » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:47 pm

I'm going on a bit of a fishing trip here, but I have been told that the late EA81T models of Brumby had the L Series power steering pump fitted. So, I thought would ask as I kind of prefer the L series pump then the enormous MY one sitting right over the thermostat and spark plugs.

The story went along the lines of Subaru perhaps putting extra holes in the Turbo block or just later Ea81's to mount it. I am thinking of fabricating something up if there is room somewhere around the Air Conditioner belt to run it.

So, has anyone seen anything of the sort so I'm not re-inventing the wheel or has someone died trying? I've had a search and I'd need the rack from an MY to do it anyhow as the L series is different but I still think I'd like to give it a go. Thoughts?

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:08 pm

I can't see how it would be done; you've got the alternator on one side and the dizzy on the other. Unless you move the alt somewhere else and make some crazy custom brackets to fit the L p/s pump. More trouble than it's worth IMO ;)
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:55 pm

Silverbullet wrote:I can't see how it would be done; you've got the alternator on one side and the dizzy on the other. Unless you move the alt somewhere else and make some crazy custom brackets to fit the L p/s pump. More trouble than it's worth IMO ;)

+1 not impossible but would be painful to get it to work...
The project, EJ22 --->>> EJ25 Quad CAM:D touring wagon
Thinking of going on holidays on a little paradise island, Check out http://www.dodolidays.com

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:15 pm

Would this be the ea82 mount?

Sent from my new touchy phone thingy
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

H-top

Post by H-top » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:31 pm

id love to have that engine.
H-Top

rolling in

MY00 GT Foz - Auto, Turbo, Luxury

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:33 pm

Gannon wrote:Image

Would this be the ea82 mount?
Looks very close to it! Problem could be that this is an EFI engine - with a very interesting head/injector setup. The carbie and the stock carb air filter might be in the way to fit the PS pump there - but you'd have to check it out with the Crank Pulley, this may allow some extra room by moving things forward. Who knows, the AC compressor from the EA82 *might* fit too, after all the EA82 is a very slightly tweaked EA81 essentially.

The water pump - or the pulley at least - looks like it's EA82 as does the Crank's pulley.

Love these pics you dig up Gannon - there must be a real art to it, or you just know where to look!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:00 am

Or the pics spill out from his PC all over the lounge room at the ready to paste up :)

Anyone spot the timing pointer at the front that has been known as the Vortex spiders component?

If this is all original EA81T - it shows the heritage of the first EA82T with the 'intercooler' pipe from turbo to throttle body (well, it is more of an intercooler than the flat like a lizard tin one the Cordias of the day got!) :) and the cold start air bypass above the coolants thermostat

And, back to original question ...that looks just like any L Series power steering mounting bracket and engine hook - try to drill and tap any bosses in the casting of the block to suit ???

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:37 pm

I just typed "ea81t" intp google images.

In this one, it looks like the power steering pump has been removed for some reason, but the pipe and bracket are still there, and it appears to be an EA82 air con compressor and alternator
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

555Ron

Post by 555Ron » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:54 pm

Hmm, interesting pictures, thanks Gannon. Probably should have tried google myself in hindsight. I wonder if Subaru kept the A/C mount holes in the block the same between EA81 and EA82 and it's a matter of going an L series water pump with the double pulley and the EA82 alternator and A/C mounts.

Taking a closer look at the pump it's an interesting design. It looks like an L series model except that the inlet on the L series has a long metal pipe with an o-ring that is held into place with the bottom radiator hose connecting to it almost a foot from the pump. It also has a removable pulley held in with 4 brass studs where as this one on the EA81T is held on by one centre stud. I think the pump is a modified EA81 model but whether you could buy it or make a conversion... not sure?? Never seen an A/C install on an L series, might go down to trusty Leo's car yard and see if he has an L series I can have a sticky beak at...

*Edit* Found a listing on ebay that looks very similar
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/WATER-PUMP-S ... 731wt_1026

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:14 pm

Check out the strut tops - they look like they were made from customwood !!

Vortex had a fluid reservoir more to one side compared to std L series, I threw a few out before I got a Vortex myself :(. The pump is the same just the reservoir was different from observation and memory. Might be handy to try.....

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:40 pm

Ok, I've been thinking about this engine. To me it looks like the intake manifold is SPFI with the MPFI throttle body mated to it. The thermostat housing faces the same direction as the EA82's and not the way the EA81 does.

The position of the injectors intrigued me. IF this was a genuine turbo EFI EA81, why does it have the stock EA81 spec heads that don't have the EA81S reversed valves? While it looks like the mounts are cast into the head I don't think it would be too difficult to be creative with a TIG to build the mounts then drill out as required.

After saying all of that I've not seen a genuine EA81T.

Cheers

Bennie

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:36 am

the intake alloy pipe from the turbo - raised lettering in the casting - all the EA82 ones I have and seen have been recessed - beancounters helping save material and weight perhaps. Maybe an indication of an EA81T ?

coxy

Post by coxy » Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:47 pm

Back on topic for this thread here is a kit to mount an EA82 PS pump on to an EA 81 engine, You will note how similar it looks to the factory EA81 Turbo bracketry.
Attachments
EA82 power steer pump to EA81 kit.jpg
EA82 power steer pump to EA81 kit.jpg (55.79 KiB) Viewed 4466 times

Rodeo4jake

Post by Rodeo4jake » Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:45 pm

coxy wrote:Back on topic for this thread here is a kit to mount an EA82 PS pump on to an EA 81 engine, You will note how similar it looks to the factory EA81 Turbo bracketry.
Very interesting stuff, they are probably a much easier pump to get parts for than the old my job.

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:51 pm

^ Agreed, but by the looks of that custom bracketry you wouldn't be able to have a stock A/C setup :-?
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:02 pm

Guess you could fit an EA82 to use its pump in the right place without coxys find :)

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:29 pm

steptoe wrote:Guess you could fit an EA82 to use its pump in the right place without coxys find :)
EA82 in place of twin port? I think not!!! :o
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:36 pm

steptoe wrote:Guess you could fit an EA82 to use its pump in the right place without coxys find :)
That would be a backwards step IMO my friend.

Cheers

Bennie

Return to “Engine, Gearbox and Diff”