Removing water from rear diff

Get the most out of your Engine / Gearbox with these handy hints ...
Ellie

Removing water from rear diff

Post by Ellie » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:07 am

Hey,

I recently went through a very deep creek crossing that consumed everything electrical inside my car, needless to say, my diff filled up with water :(

I know this must have happened to others before so I'm wondering what did other find was the best way to get it out? I plan on pulling off the rear case and spraying the inside with Methylated spirits and then blasting with an air compressor a couple of times.

And yes, as soon as this is done diff and gearbox breathers will be fitted :)

chubby37
General Member

Post by chubby37 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:43 pm

That's about it or use WD40.let it dry out and refill it
ImageImage

life is like a game of cricket...at some time you will get hit in the nuts

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:49 pm

when it comes to engine oil, and water in with it, water sinks to the bottom, is there a drain plug at the bottom asks guilty of never replacing diff oil in any subaru

WeeGee

Post by WeeGee » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:53 pm

It'll go milky if theres any water in it. so drain it, top it back up and check how it looks after a couple of days. Might be worthwhile extending the breather if you plan on going swimming every now and then, you can go cheap and cheerful or I'm sure someone would sell a kit;

"For rear diff breathers, remove the existing breather top, file away the lip on the breather stem then fit garden hose (or similar diameter hose) over and tighten with a screw up clamp. Then cut a slot out of the diff carrier above the breather so there Is clearance for the hose, and run the hose over to the RHS rear panel. Use a wiring loom grommet to fit it into the rear panel, loop the open end and cable tie a piece of foam over the end. " (stolen from the internet)

Ellie

Post by Ellie » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:25 am

Thank you all for the relies, I thought I was on the right track but thought I would ask anyway, also,

"For rear diff breathers, remove the existing breather top, file away the lip on the breather stem then fit garden hose (or similar diameter hose) over and tighten with a screw up clamp. Then cut a slot out of the diff carrier above the breather so there Is clearance for the hose, and run the hose over to the RHS rear panel. Use a wiring loom grommet to fit it into the rear panel, loop the open end and cable tie a piece of foam over the end. " (stolen from the internet)"

This is excellent for a guide, thanks Weegee

Return to “Engine, Gearbox and Diff”