R160 Locker project

Get the most out of your Engine / Gearbox with these handy hints ...
taza
General Member

Post by taza » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:16 pm

^ Only if its a manual. I hate driving auto's with a passion. :P
Yeah the centre console will need some modification. I know with the Outback, Lib and Forester there is a spot where it would fit perfectly, not sure on the L-series and Brumby.

mud_king91

Post by mud_king91 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:34 pm

I might be buying dual range lib sedan if so got the perfect spot seeing as ill go custom

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:21 pm

Yeah i'm using a gen2 lib or gen1 outback center console so i should have that perfect spot too then:)

Ohhhh, don't you worry, mine will definitely be a manual car:)
The project, EJ22 --->>> EJ25 Quad CAM:D touring wagon
Thinking of going on holidays on a little paradise island, Check out http://www.dodolidays.com

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:09 pm

taza wrote:Prices well, im not really sure. It depends how much they cost to make. But probably only a few hundred. I have been looking at prices of some Auto-Lockers and a few others. I would say very roughly around $400 plus postage. Maybe abit more, depends on how much they cost to make really. Hope this is of some help for people.
I'd say it's a bit early to be thinking about a price - particularly one that low!

If you've not had one physically produced yet then it will be hard to speculate to a figure - when it comes in at near $1200 for example a lot of people will pull out because they expected it to be ~$400. I would want to be paying more knowing that the quality of the materials used are great and not cheap and weak materials...

But that said, if you can sell them for ~$400 plus postage you'll be laughing at the number of orders that will come in. I'd probably get two just because I could at that price!!

I'm really itching for one of these - it would be the icing on the cake of my build!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

taza
General Member

Post by taza » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:22 pm

El_Freddo wrote:I'd say it's a bit early to be thinking about a price - particularly one that low!

If you've not had one physically produced yet then it will be hard to speculate to a figure - when it comes in at near $1200 for example a lot of people will pull out because they expected it to be ~$400. I would want to be paying more knowing that the quality of the materials used are great and not cheap and weak materials...

But that said, if you can sell them for ~$400 plus postage you'll be laughing at the number of orders that will come in. I'd probably get two just because I could at that price!!

I'm really itching for one of these - it would be the icing on the cake of my build!

Cheers

Bennie

Bennie I have absolutely no idea on the cost, that was more of a random number thrown out there. And your right, I would rather pay more for something of better quality too if I knew it was stronger and less likely to break.

I have no idea at all on what it will cost me to get it physically built.

I appreciate your adrive/words.

Taza

mud_king91

Post by mud_king91 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:10 pm

Bout now is when i wish i owned a cnc machine

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:25 am

mud_king91 wrote:Bout now is when i wish i owned a cnc machine
Yeah I could have done with one about 4 years ago when I had the same thoughts as Taza - only thing is that I've not used auto cad or a program of the like that would have helped immensely!

Cheers

Bennie

mud_king91

Post by mud_king91 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:33 am

I learnt to work in a cyl head reco shop so ii learnt most of that but it was mostly manual... no computers thannk god

Phizinza
General Member

Post by Phizinza » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:44 pm

When I was doing work experience at a machining place I asked the boss what he thought an auto locker like the PowerTrax (showed him one of my brothers Toyota ones) would cost to machine a prototype of. Assuming there would be no designing, he reckoned around $1000 for just the machining. That is using the right high carbon steel, heat treating it properly and cutting the splines and all.

Cost on bulk only got pretty decent when getting up to the 100's.
Owned - 89 Brumby, 83 Wagon, 83 Leone 4WD Sedan, 83 Touring Wagon, 99 Outback
Own - 87 Brumby, 93 Liberty, 09 Forester
Offroading Subarus Facebook Page

taza
General Member

Post by taza » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:22 pm

Phizinza wrote:When I was doing work experience at a machining place I asked the boss what he thought an auto locker like the PowerTrax (showed him one of my brothers Toyota ones) would cost to machine a prototype of. Assuming there would be no designing, he reckoned around $1000 for just the machining. That is using the right high carbon steel, heat treating it properly and cutting the splines and all.

Cost on bulk only got pretty decent when getting up to the 100's.
Wow, now thats abit. From what ive designed the customer would use the existing spider and ring gears. But if we test it and they break then they will have to be made up too. This won't be an issue as I have already roughly designed them in CAD.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:00 pm

taza wrote:Wow, now thats abit. From what ive designed the customer would use the existing spider and ring gears.
Interesting... I like the concept behind this. 4 or 6 spider gears in total? You have 2 to each axle then either 2 or 4 in the middle, of course, 4 is going to be stronger in general as there are more contact points one the gear face to spread the load.

And what Phiz suggested is about what I would have expected for production ONLY - then there's the shipping and your cut on top of this. This is why I sent you that PM about producing the product so that others can't steal your hard work and ultimately $$$ from you (in production and profits).

Cheers

Bennie

taza
General Member

* Update

Post by taza » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:28 am

Hey guys, well looks like my Hard Drive may not be recoverable. I got half way through re-programming the firmware when the cable busted. I have ordered another 2 cables but since I wasn't able to spin down the drive before the cable broke it might of just turned it into a brick.
I will wait and see if I can do it when the next two cables arrive but if not I have to start from a fair way back :rolleyes:

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:46 pm

bummer...., theres some higher power that doesn't want those locking rear 160 diff to be made!!!! lol
Thinking of going on holidays on a little paradise island, Check out http://www.dodolidays.com

taza
General Member

Post by taza » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:20 pm

guyph_01 wrote:bummer...., theres some higher power that doesn't want those locking rear 160 diff to be made!!!! lol
Really... Who? Why?

PM me about it.

The only reason I can think people don't want it too happen is due to someone or some company loosing money.
Well if they think they can hack my computer they can give it their best shot. Just putting that out there.

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:26 pm

taza wrote:Really... Who? Why?

PM me about it.

The only reason I can think people don't want it too happen is due to someone or some company loosing money.
Well if they think they can hack my computer they can give it their best shot. Just putting that out there.

LOL, ever since people have taken the suby offroad, people have tried to make lockers...., but since they are virtually impossible to get means that most failed:(

MTB92

Post by MTB92 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:27 pm

guyph_01 wrote:bummer...., theres some higher power that doesn't want those locking rear 160 diff to be made!!!! lol
mmm, probably the spirit of your old gearbox... couldn't bare to see more pain and destruction to its own kind :P

seriously, is there a chance this could push the old EA gearboxes too far, especially if they are hooked up to an EJ20/22/25?

and fingures crossed you do get it back taza!

taza
General Member

Post by taza » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:38 pm

If/when the prototype is ready we are probably going to destroy the gearbox and diff in the poor Subie. But as you guys have said we don't know till we try :mrgreen:
MTB92 wrote:mmm, probably the spirit of your old gearbox... couldn't bare to see more pain and destruction to its own kind :P

seriously, is there a chance this could push the old EA gearboxes too far, especially if they are hooked up to an EJ20/22/25?

and fingures crossed you do get it back taza!
Thanks, yeah I hope I do get it back. There is a good chance the gearboxes and/or diffs plus CV's could break, especially since the old EA gearboxes were only designed to deal with ~60Kw of power. Plus I don't think Subaru intended that we would be doing the same kind of offroading as the big 4x4's. haha

But if you had the old 1.8 with original gearbox and a rear locker then it wouldn't have enough power to actually climb a hill. You would probably end up burning out your clutch.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:16 pm

taza wrote:I will wait and see if I can do it when the next two cables arrive but if not I have to start from a fair way back :rolleyes:
I'm hoping it all comes good mate, I'm seriously keen to see this one through - just that I'm not a part of it like I wanted to be when I started talking about it, you've got some skills that I don't!
Sounds like it. I'm sure the subi gods will embrace it once they're out there ;)
guyph_01 wrote:LOL, ever since people have taken the suby offroad, people have tried to make lockers...., but since they are virtually impossible to get means that most failed:(
I don't know about this Guyph. I think that there's been a lot of people talking about it and companies who say it can be done but make the price so high they guarantee that they get a profit out of it or that they nail it on the head with such a big ask ($$$$s)
MTB92 wrote:seriously, is there a chance this could push the old EA gearboxes too far, especially if they are hooked up to an EJ20/22/25?
I think you could push a worn EA box too far on the road. The idea of the locker is to make offroading smoother when the going gets tough or the traction becomes too slippery on one wheel. This locker should put less strain on the drive train than a welded diff will, simply because YOU get to SELECT when the locker is locked. If you're smart you'll pick your times carefully to prolong the life of your drivetrain.
I really think there are people out there that hear "Locker" and think "hardcore" but then forget about those who are running the old EA gearboxes with a welded ("CIG" locker) rear diff - it's the same thing except that the welded diff is always locked when the second shaft is put in.
The other thing to look at is that IF you were using the EA PT4wd gearbox the only reason why you'd shell out for a manul locker is so that you have the convenience of flicking a switch rather than stopping, jacking a wheel and installing the second shaft to lock the rear with the welded diff.
taza wrote:If/when the prototype is ready we are probably going to destroy the gearbox and diff in the poor Subie. But as you guys have said we don't know till we try :mrgreen:
I have my doubts about this as posted above.

taza wrote:There is a good chance the gearboxes and/or diffs plus CV's could break, especially since the old EA gearboxes were only designed to deal with ~60Kw of power. Plus I don't think Subaru intended that we would be doing the same kind of offroading as the big 4x4's. haha
I'm hoping the weakest link will be either the CVs or the diff out put stub axles - which again wouldn't be any different to the welded rear diff.

And again as I've said - you wouldn't be running the rear locker ALL THE TIME when offroad, only when you need it. The biggest advantage to this locker will be the ability to run the AWD gearbox on the black top with an open rear diff and then offroad with a locked rear diff when you need it.

Cheers

Bennie

taza
General Member

Post by taza » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:13 pm

lol im a tool. When I glimpse over this thread today at work I thought you ment higher power as in a person :rolleyes:

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:14 am

taza wrote: When I glimpse over this thread today at work I thought you ment higher power as in a person :rolleyes:
Worried about the boss were we??

:p

Bennie

Return to “Engine, Gearbox and Diff”