R160 Locker project

Get the most out of your Engine / Gearbox with these handy hints ...
mud_king91

Post by mud_king91 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:25 am

If all goes to plan... what are these lockers gunna sell for and will they be air or electronically engaged ?

taza
General Member

Post by taza » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:51 am

mud_king91 wrote:If all goes to plan... what are these lockers gunna sell for and will they be air or electronically engaged ?
They will be engaged and dis-engage with cable mechanism like the Dual-Range or 4WD leaver found on/in Subarus. I haven't exactly figured out a selector for in the cabin yet.

Prices well, im not really sure. It depends how much they cost to make. But probably only a few hundred. I have been looking at prices of some Auto-Lockers and a few others. I would say very roughly around $400 plus postage. Maybe abit more, depends on how much they cost to make really. Hope this is of some help for people.

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:54 am

if you can do a locking center for $400 you will sell a LOT of them mate.

Here's hoping..
brumbyrunner wrote:And just to clarify the real 4WD thing, Subarus are an unreal 4WD.

mud_king91

Post by mud_king91 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:02 pm

Ill make my selector but yea tell me when their available

Foghorn

Post by Foghorn » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:04 pm

I am keen to try one when you get them made :D

Alex
Elder Member

Post by Alex » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:18 pm

id be keen for my outback also.

alex
my07 Outback
my13 Hyundai i45(shhhh)
my02 Gen3 Liberty limited ed.

previously
L-series wagon, LSD, EJ20turbo, 29in tyres, 'wanky wagon'
2000 gen3 outback, lifted, otherwise stock.

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:24 pm

I think i'll be having to honor of trying it out once its made:p
Not sure, its all up to Taza, I only hope the diff i gave him help him and was useful to create this master piece :p. Oh and if you need anything else let me know:)
The project, EJ22 --->>> EJ25 Quad CAM:D touring wagon
Thinking of going on holidays on a little paradise island, Check out http://www.dodolidays.com

mud_king91

Post by mud_king91 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:54 pm

Well atleast we will know they,ve survived ultimate punishment

taza
General Member

Post by taza » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:24 pm

guyph_01 wrote:I think i'll be having to honor of trying it out once its made:p
Not sure, its all up to Taza, I only hope the diff i gave him help him and was useful to create this master piece :p. Oh and if you need anything else let me know:)

I couldn't of done it without the diff. Yes you will have the honor of trying/testing it. I would really like to test it out at the powerlines since there is some really hardcore stuff out there.

The cable for recoverying my hard drive is in the mail as we speak, I should be getting it either today, tomorrow or early next week.

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:00 pm

mud_king91 wrote:Well atleast we will know they,ve survived ultimate punishment
Hahahaha, Good one:p Nah, i recon taza should have the first honors to test drive it since he has and is putting all the effort. Just don't flip/roll or dent my car on the rocks:twisted:

Cool, hummm might need to make a custom center console for the cable activated looking lever:)
Thinking of going on holidays on a little paradise island, Check out http://www.dodolidays.com

taza
General Member

Post by taza » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:16 pm

^ Only if its a manual. I hate driving auto's with a passion. :P
Yeah the centre console will need some modification. I know with the Outback, Lib and Forester there is a spot where it would fit perfectly, not sure on the L-series and Brumby.

mud_king91

Post by mud_king91 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:34 pm

I might be buying dual range lib sedan if so got the perfect spot seeing as ill go custom

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:21 pm

Yeah i'm using a gen2 lib or gen1 outback center console so i should have that perfect spot too then:)

Ohhhh, don't you worry, mine will definitely be a manual car:)

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:09 pm

taza wrote:Prices well, im not really sure. It depends how much they cost to make. But probably only a few hundred. I have been looking at prices of some Auto-Lockers and a few others. I would say very roughly around $400 plus postage. Maybe abit more, depends on how much they cost to make really. Hope this is of some help for people.
I'd say it's a bit early to be thinking about a price - particularly one that low!

If you've not had one physically produced yet then it will be hard to speculate to a figure - when it comes in at near $1200 for example a lot of people will pull out because they expected it to be ~$400. I would want to be paying more knowing that the quality of the materials used are great and not cheap and weak materials...

But that said, if you can sell them for ~$400 plus postage you'll be laughing at the number of orders that will come in. I'd probably get two just because I could at that price!!

I'm really itching for one of these - it would be the icing on the cake of my build!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

taza
General Member

Post by taza » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:22 pm

El_Freddo wrote:I'd say it's a bit early to be thinking about a price - particularly one that low!

If you've not had one physically produced yet then it will be hard to speculate to a figure - when it comes in at near $1200 for example a lot of people will pull out because they expected it to be ~$400. I would want to be paying more knowing that the quality of the materials used are great and not cheap and weak materials...

But that said, if you can sell them for ~$400 plus postage you'll be laughing at the number of orders that will come in. I'd probably get two just because I could at that price!!

I'm really itching for one of these - it would be the icing on the cake of my build!

Cheers

Bennie

Bennie I have absolutely no idea on the cost, that was more of a random number thrown out there. And your right, I would rather pay more for something of better quality too if I knew it was stronger and less likely to break.

I have no idea at all on what it will cost me to get it physically built.

I appreciate your adrive/words.

Taza

mud_king91

Post by mud_king91 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:10 pm

Bout now is when i wish i owned a cnc machine

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:25 am

mud_king91 wrote:Bout now is when i wish i owned a cnc machine
Yeah I could have done with one about 4 years ago when I had the same thoughts as Taza - only thing is that I've not used auto cad or a program of the like that would have helped immensely!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

mud_king91

Post by mud_king91 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:33 am

I learnt to work in a cyl head reco shop so ii learnt most of that but it was mostly manual... no computers thannk god

Phizinza
General Member

Post by Phizinza » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:44 pm

When I was doing work experience at a machining place I asked the boss what he thought an auto locker like the PowerTrax (showed him one of my brothers Toyota ones) would cost to machine a prototype of. Assuming there would be no designing, he reckoned around $1000 for just the machining. That is using the right high carbon steel, heat treating it properly and cutting the splines and all.

Cost on bulk only got pretty decent when getting up to the 100's.
Owned - 89 Brumby, 83 Wagon, 83 Leone 4WD Sedan, 83 Touring Wagon, 99 Outback
Own - 87 Brumby, 93 Liberty, 09 Forester
Offroading Subarus Facebook Page

taza
General Member

Post by taza » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:22 pm

Phizinza wrote:When I was doing work experience at a machining place I asked the boss what he thought an auto locker like the PowerTrax (showed him one of my brothers Toyota ones) would cost to machine a prototype of. Assuming there would be no designing, he reckoned around $1000 for just the machining. That is using the right high carbon steel, heat treating it properly and cutting the splines and all.

Cost on bulk only got pretty decent when getting up to the 100's.
Wow, now thats abit. From what ive designed the customer would use the existing spider and ring gears. But if we test it and they break then they will have to be made up too. This won't be an issue as I have already roughly designed them in CAD.

Return to “Engine, Gearbox and Diff”