carby fuel leak, engine wont run.

Get the most out of your Engine / Gearbox with these handy hints ...
floater05

carby fuel leak, engine wont run.

Post by floater05 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:43 pm

car is a 1985 DL. as far as i know the engine is an EA82

was out in the dunes yesterday when the engine just died, on closer inspection the carby was leaking fuel.

was stuck for quiet a while but a mechanic who used to own this same model was passing by and stopped to help. he said the cause was a blocked carby and gave it a few taps with a shifter and got the car going. fuel leak stopped.

continued on for the day but it happend 2 more times. by the third i had to get towed home. car still wont start.

what do you guys make of this and how can i fix it?

time for me to sell the car, iv just put new tyres and a new clutch in so i dont want to spend anymore money on it.

im not familar with carby setups, im used to dealing with fuel injections systems.

olddog642

Post by olddog642 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:26 pm

Not sure exactly what you problem may be but perhaps it is caused by a jammed float to start with and also dirty fuel which has blocked or severly restricted the fuel flow to the carby.
Remove the fuel line at the carby put the end in a bottle or similar receptical to catch any fuel that may pump thru and then get someone to crank the engine over while you watch to see if fuel flows. if not I would start by replacing the fuel filters.
Hope this helps
Hylton:twisted:

Haymaker

Needle

Post by Haymaker » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:30 pm

Sounds like needle and seat issue. The needle lets fuel into the bowl where the float is, it is located under the end of the float where it is hinged. Im guessing that the needle is sticking and when the bloke tapped it while out on the dunes it has freed it up a bit and returned to normal fuel flow. You can get a full carby kit for about $60 which makes for a cheap rebuild.

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:27 am

1985 should have unfortunately a carburettored EA82 :( not the best engine in the Subaru range (EK27 & EK42 take that spot)

I would suggest if your not willing to spend too much on her and not geared up on carbys then post up a wanted and see if someone has one closeby ;)
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:19 pm

Sounds like you need new fuel filters and possibly a carbie rebuild - this isn't expensive, just the cost of a carbie kit as stated above then a 6 pack to pay a mate who knows about such things if you're not up to the task.

All the best

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:31 pm

give the 25 year old girl a break, fix it and you can continue to get your moneys worth out of the clutch and new tyres. Cheap enough to buy another used carby from same year helps, rebuild it or just shove on. Take lots of pics and notes as you pull it apart and keep coming here when if you get stuck. We all learn somewhere, sometime.

floater05

Post by floater05 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:25 pm

Replaced the fuel filter about 1000kms ago. the car sat for 2 months while I was overseas. Only got about 100ks out of it before the carby problem. I want to sell the car because it's not able to cope with the 4wding conditions I put it through. I'm looking out for a patrol. I had to get towed through parts of the track and that was before I had a carby problem. The real problem with the sub is tyre size and clearance and it just doesn't have the power.

If I do the rebuild I will post up pictures for future reference.

Return to “Engine, Gearbox and Diff”