HELP! asap! Loose nut in xmember!

Get the most out of your Engine / Gearbox with these handy hints ...
ScubyRoo

HELP! asap! Loose nut in xmember!

Post by ScubyRoo » Wed May 26, 2010 4:17 pm

HASLDNF ALSDKHF !!!LK ASJDF !

Almost finished the entire car read for road worthy inspection, and the third last fu*king bolt craps out.

It's the right (Drives side) front gearbox crossmember bolt, the one that goes into the chassis. Basically the nut in the body has broken free of whatever holds it there, so the bolt and nut are stuck together -- cannot undo, cannot do up... just spins or goes up and down the distance still to tighten when pushed up. It broke free at low torque half way up thread... i'm totally gutted.

How the hell to I get access to the nut??!?! I looked on my parts bomb... ripped up carpet and everything... it seems it is in its own little spot. Does it have to be cut out and a new section welded back in with a replaced nut?

Any help would be greately appreciated!

Thanks,
Owen.
The Green Machine is up for sale :(. Lifted, bars, exhausts... View Gumtree ad

78sti

Post by 78sti » Wed May 26, 2010 4:25 pm

That sux
I have had that happen before
I cut a slot in the floor to open up and get access from the top and welded a new nut in.

Otherwise cut the bolt off drill out hole and weld a nut in from underneath and grind smooth again. Or use a nutsert if you have access to one.

Alex
Elder Member

Post by Alex » Wed May 26, 2010 4:53 pm

yah broken captive nut.

cut the bolt, then get a hole saw and try to get the nut out, once its out re-weld it to a piece of flat bar and weld the bit of flat bar to the body. Pain in the arse :(

alex
my07 Outback
my13 Hyundai i45(shhhh)
my02 Gen3 Liberty limited ed.

previously
L-series wagon, LSD, EJ20turbo, 29in tyres, 'wanky wagon'
2000 gen3 outback, lifted, otherwise stock.

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Wed May 26, 2010 5:25 pm

Alex wrote:yah broken captive nut.

cut the bolt, then get a hole saw and try to get the nut out, once its out re-weld it to a piece of flat bar and weld the bit of flat bar to the body. Pain in the arse :(

alex
Bugger - that is annoying isnt it!!! Mine one has the same problem!!! Did the same thing what alex did.
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1995 Liberty "Rallye" - 5MT AWD, LSD - *written off 25/8/06 in towing accident.
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page
Sold at 385,000kms in July 2011.
2007 Liberty BP Wagon, 2.5i automatic

ScubyRoo

Post by ScubyRoo » Wed May 26, 2010 6:53 pm

Thanks for the suggestions guys - 78sti thanks for the idea, when I first read it I was thinking it sounded a bit epic!

I think Alex's idea sounds the least epic, will get onto it on the weekend when I have time again. AP you're right, it really is a pain in the arse - I've had to delay my rego inspection 2 weeks now, argh! Just want this car finished!
The Green Machine is up for sale :(. Lifted, bars, exhausts... View Gumtree ad

Subafury

Post by Subafury » Wed May 26, 2010 9:34 pm

Search for broken captive nut. Couple threads on it now

d_generate
General Member

Post by d_generate » Thu May 27, 2010 2:17 am

I had to do mine on the WRX a few months ago before I put it over the pits cos the thing knocked like hell, I spent a while measuring the right spot but in the end I drilled a small hole up from the bottom next to the bolt then attacked it with a 32mm hole saw from inside the footwell, turned out some cock had spun the thread out of the captive nut but luckily the bolt was long enough to put another nut on top so I just shoved one on and tightened the hell out of it.
I didn't bother covering the hole as I'll need to get to it if ever the box has to come out but it's pretty easy to get to so it shouldn't be too big a job for you.
98 Libbo with V3 STI running gear. 13.0 @ 105mph with CAI & 3" Zorst:mrgreen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKrsF-2JS3M :twisted:

Alex
Elder Member

Post by Alex » Thu May 27, 2010 10:18 am

d_generate wrote:I had to do mine on the WRX a few months ago before I put it over the pits cos the thing knocked like hell, I spent a while measuring the right spot but in the end I drilled a small hole up from the bottom next to the bolt then attacked it with a 32mm hole saw from inside the footwell, turned out some cock had spun the thread out of the captive nut but luckily the bolt was long enough to put another nut on top so I just shoved one on and tightened the hell out of it.
I didn't bother covering the hole as I'll need to get to it if ever the box has to come out but it's pretty easy to get to so it shouldn't be too big a job for you.
yeah this is another good idea. Did it on my l-series. Like 5 times haha
my07 Outback
my13 Hyundai i45(shhhh)
my02 Gen3 Liberty limited ed.

previously
L-series wagon, LSD, EJ20turbo, 29in tyres, 'wanky wagon'
2000 gen3 outback, lifted, otherwise stock.

Subafury

Post by Subafury » Fri May 28, 2010 6:48 pm

luckily i only broke one side and it was just a mig repair because the nut was fine.but the cutting footweel method seems easiest/best

Return to “Engine, Gearbox and Diff”