Spark Plugs

Get the most out of your Engine / Gearbox with these handy hints ...
kj0

Spark Plugs

Post by kj0 » Mon May 24, 2010 10:06 pm

Hey Guys,

So I went to Repco today and went in to get some gear for a service. When they looked up for my 05 Impreza, the guy seemed confused which plugs, because the MY05 and MY04 have different numbers for each filter.

The My04 has Champion Golds and a couple of others $5.40 and the MY05 only has NGK Platniums $30. HE apparently couldn't work out the difference and sold me the Golds. (They were same length, same Thread, slightly different gap.)

Now before I go sticking them into mine, Is there a difference? Should I be worried and go back?

Cheers

wrxer

Post by wrxer » Tue May 25, 2010 12:33 am

i reckon they try to sell the expensive ones cause they last longer and they are a bugger to change (dohc are).

Johnny T

Post by Johnny T » Tue May 25, 2010 1:35 am

The better brand is the NGK (from what I've heard) my friend has the NGK Platniums and he strongly recommends them, the only downfall is the prices, but the quality is much better and you'll get better results. In my opinion I would go and swap them over to the NGK Plat.
Hope that helps.

kj0

Post by kj0 » Tue May 25, 2010 7:30 am

I've heard Different, and the different ends on them make huge differences and platnium isn't the best. I was told Gold or Copper were the way to go. Copper doesn't last as long but it creates a better spark, Still get 80k out of the Golds.

So, I would be fine to use the GOlds then?

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Tue May 25, 2010 9:13 am

About 5 or 6 years ago I read a survey some testing mob had done on the best value for money/performance on spark plugs and the Champion Golds came out on top. I've used them since (on non turbo engines) and never once had an issue with them. Always check and set the gap to the vehicles specs :) They will never last as long as Platinum/Iridium plugs so make sure they are replaced at the recommend intervals.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

kj0

Post by kj0 » Tue May 25, 2010 10:38 am

See, I know all that about the gap, I learnt the hard way (well realy I just experimented with my gazelle and noticed the changes the gap makes. So I'm Quite specific about it.

They are 1/5 cheaper and probably lasts about 1/3 the amount the platnium/iridiums do. So They are worth it,.

Return to “Engine, Gearbox and Diff”