Interested in what's available down under

Get the most out of your Engine / Gearbox with these handy hints ...
El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:21 pm

suparu wrote:Hey Bennie, how's your friend's build with alldrivesubaroo?
It's Venom on this forum - he got a price for what he wanted... and is sticking with his original plan which is currently being built from what I've heard.

I need to get onto mine!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

suparu

Post by suparu » Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:23 am

I've got another lead!! Thanks Aussie friends!!

We'll see it it pans out through time, but 1st gen fozz boxes are well sought after down there!
I certainly hope I can end up with it, but I know how money talks.

Plus spending 2x in freight for a used gearbox is a bit steep for us yanks up here ;P

Ooh well, the price(s) we pay to play, right?!

I'll keep ya all posted on this continuing endeavor!
The first time I read the dictionary, I thought it was a book about everything.
-S. Wright-

If at first you don't succeed, rev harder!

suparu

Post by suparu » Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:26 am

El_Freddo wrote:It's Venom on this forum - he got a price for what he wanted... and is sticking with his original plan which is currently being built from what I've heard.

I need to get onto mine!

Cheers

Bennie

Right on! I'll be interested to hear his experience... Maybe I'll look him up and see if he's got a thread on that build. The alldrivesubaroo built gearboxes certainly look interesting!!

Yeah Bennie, how's your build going? You're on for the dual range hybrid with an EJ, RX and EA right, The 1.59:1 low with FT AWD but locking open center diff build?

Ciao,
-mark-
-S. Wright-

suparu

Post by suparu » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:31 am

Fun ground clearance verification!

http://youtu.be/cVk2YLsqDMM

Getting closer to my DR AWD 5MT dream!!
thanks Taza
-S. Wright-

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:18 pm

suparu wrote:Yeah Bennie, how's your build going? You're on for the dual range hybrid with an EJ, RX and EA right, The 1.59:1 low with FT AWD but locking open center diff build?
Still where it was since I started talking about it. But hopefully that is soon to change once I get my tax return!

And correct on the build plan, the only thing you missed was the front EJ dual range gearbox casings so it'll bolt straight up to the EJ engine like my PT4wd gearbox is now. The other thing I'll be slipping in there is the 4.11 diff ratio to compensate for the 27 inch tyres :twisted: I'm getting excited about it now!

Nice video too, love that subi note. I only got up to the first pass, internet at the pero's is still rather slow :(

How long now until you reckon you'll have a DR gearbox?

Cheers

Bennie

suparu

Post by suparu » Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:04 am

El_Freddo wrote:Still where it was since I started talking about it. But hopefully that is soon to change once I get my tax return!

And correct on the build plan, the only thing you missed was the front EJ dual range gearbox casings so it'll bolt straight up to the EJ engine like my PT4wd gearbox is now. The other thing I'll be slipping in there is the 4.11 diff ratio to compensate for the 27 inch tyres :twisted: I'm getting excited about it now!

Nice video too, love that subi note. I only got up to the first pass, internet at the pero's is still rather slow :(

How long now until you reckon you'll have a DR gearbox?

Cheers

Bennie
You will LOVE the 4.11s!! Have I said that yet ;)
Right and the EJ case to make it all easy and no adapters! Nice!! 8-)

Taza's getting the gearbox this weekend, then we'll work on freight/shipping. SO possibly December but more likely early next year. But depending on where I have it sent to, i might not have it in my hands until summer (june-Aug).
It's all going to depend on freight costs. We're trying to keep that as low as possible, but from western Australia to western mid-continental USA will be $pendy. So I might just have it drop in Portland, OR (a northwestern port town), and have friends babysit it until I can drive up and get it (1000 miles from where I live).

BUT, it is happening!!!!!!!
-S. Wright-

taza
General Member

Post by taza » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:03 pm

^ Got the box :D Email you about it. Sitting in the boot of my Forester right now, can't actually get it out as I have no one to help lift it :P

discopotato03

Post by discopotato03 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:23 pm

I've never seen an XT/6 Workshop Manual that showed a dual range option .
They need the diff lock because if you lift any one wheel / or have no weight on any (ie diagonal washaway) you lose all drive to that wheel . You can sit their and spin all day and not be able to move .
The reality is any AWD with no center diff lock or viscous hub is worst case scenerio a 1WD . I used to occassionally get around in an AWD 6x6 truck and was amazed to see it stopped if any one wheel lost traction . Luckily it had cross axle and inter axle diff locks to get around this .

There is only two places I drive regularly that show this up and neither is of any real consequence . Both are places with diagonal gutters and its just a case of slightly lifting off not to spin and lose drive .
My Evo 6 has a viscous center diff with a reasonable amount of pre load and just stays planted , no skip hop chirp .

A .

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:06 pm

discopotato03 wrote:I've never seen an XT/6 Workshop Manual that showed a dual range option .
That's probably due to the fact that the XT's and XT6 didn't come in dual range from the factory - but I'm sure you'd already know this disco - after all, you built a dual range EA AWD gearbox from a vortex single range AWD gearbox...

Hope the 'box that Taza's found for you makes it your way Suparu without too much damage to the wallet from the freight costs.

Cheers

Bennie

taza
General Member

Post by taza » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:23 pm

El_Freddo wrote:Hope the 'box that Taza's found for you makes it your way Suparu without too much damage to the wallet from the freight costs.
We are working on it. So far its not too bad and got the box for a bargin. Im happy to help out. Do some good deed for the year and help out a fellow Subaru enthusiast like myself and plenty of the members on here :D Will be well worth it for him and theres still nothing wrong with the 1:447:1 low range ratio compared to no lo range.

I will say its a b@stard to lift though, even with two people.

Taza

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:28 pm

taza wrote:We are working on it. So far its not too bad and got the box for a bargin. Im happy to help out. Do some good deed for the year and help out a fellow Subaru enthusiast like myself and plenty of the members on here :D Will be well worth it for him and theres still nothing wrong with the 1:447:1 low range ratio compared to no lo range.

Yeah mate, I've put my hand up to help out too - but so far have not been of any use due to other commitments such as Hotham...

Those gearboxes are easy enough to move around with one person! You need to do some weight and drink some protein shakes or something :p

Glad you got something sorted too! And 1:19 to 1 low range is better than nothing - at least then it can be changed to something better... But if he doesn't have to touch it even better!

Cheers

Bennie

taza
General Member

Post by taza » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:56 pm

^ It aint the weight mate!!! More the awardness of carring it with the mounts, cables, gearstick and what not all attached. Plus covered in oil and getting it from the front yard to back shed. Could of almost lost a few toes coz it was slow slippery :(

I could do a few weights though and get on the push bike abit more but im abit lazy. plus loosing 25kg helps ya move around enough so I can't complain for this years efforts!

Taz

revmax

Post by revmax » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:10 am

quick question. How could you tell if an L series HiLo 5 speed is 3.7 or 3.9 final ratio,without pulling it apart, I have one out of a MPFI L series.
"THE BRUMBY ! , Your not taking the Brumby I just dry cleaned the mud flaps."
Current
00 Outback with class, SOHC EJ25 auto 240,068ks
"B1" 90 Brumby with character 271,800K EA81 (But soon 5speed,103,000k EJ202)
"B2" wrecked and crushed
"B3" 89 Bush Bashing Brumby (BeeRumBee) Kept a Bucca
"B4" 89 Black Brumby (wam balam ) Kept at Kempsey
"B5" 92 Brumby (sold it)
"B6" 88 Beige Brumby
"W1" 83 wagon 308,000 AC and alot of rust repairs. (Wanda)
Brumby Trailer (Sulky)
LUV THAT BRUM !
RevMax Hobbies

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:58 pm

revmax wrote:quick question. How could you tell if an L series HiLo 5 speed is 3.7 or 3.9 final ratio,without pulling it apart, I have one out of a MPFI L series.
If you've got the rear diff and the sticker is still on it that'll let you know, if not, you can remove the oil drain plug, mark the 1st tooth and count them as you carefully rotate around. 37 teeth = 3.7 and 39 teeth = 3.9.

If it came from a pre 1987 L it's more than likely a 3.9, if it's from a post 1987 it will most likely be a 3.7. If it came from the 1987 model it could be either as this year was the cross over for a few things on the L series...

Cheers

Bennie

revmax

Post by revmax » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:06 pm

awsome thanks Bennie. never thought to take the cover off the diff, which is still in the car. it is an 89 model so should be 3.7 which is what I was hoping for, but will check the diff.

EDIT just crawled under the l, the sticker was still there but was painted over with black.
Grabed some acetone and rubed the paint off. 3.700 YAYYYYY ! Thanks again bennie.
"THE BRUMBY ! , Your not taking the Brumby I just dry cleaned the mud flaps."
Current
00 Outback with class, SOHC EJ25 auto 240,068ks
"B1" 90 Brumby with character 271,800K EA81 (But soon 5speed,103,000k EJ202)
"B2" wrecked and crushed
"B3" 89 Bush Bashing Brumby (BeeRumBee) Kept a Bucca
"B4" 89 Black Brumby (wam balam ) Kept at Kempsey
"B5" 92 Brumby (sold it)
"B6" 88 Beige Brumby
"W1" 83 wagon 308,000 AC and alot of rust repairs. (Wanda)
Brumby Trailer (Sulky)
LUV THAT BRUM !
RevMax Hobbies

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

suparu

Post by suparu » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:53 am

El_Freddo wrote: Hope the 'box that Taza's found for you makes it your way Suparu without too much damage to the wallet from the freight costs.

Cheers

Bennie
Yeah, copy that!!
taza wrote:We are working on it. So far its not too bad and got the box for a bargin. Im happy to help out. Do some good deed for the year and help out a fellow Subaru enthusiast like myself and plenty of the members on here :D Will be well worth it for him and theres still nothing wrong with the 1:447:1 low range ratio compared to no lo range.

Taza

YES!! a 1.44:a is WWAAAAAYY better than NO low!! :D

Wow, it looks just like my 95 5MT, but kind of weird it's SOO heavy... Maybe awkward is also a significant problem. ;)

I agree though, trying to move my 99 OB or 95 leg 5MT around was kind of a &it(#..

Thanks again Taza, and I'll get you some addresses so we can play with freight options, pending on shipping to different destinations here...

:thumbs-up:
-S. Wright-

suparu

Post by suparu » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:59 am

El_Freddo wrote:Yeah mate, I've put my hand up to help out too - but so far have not been of any use due to other commitments such as Hotham...

Those gearboxes are easy enough to move around with one person! You need to do some weight and drink some protein shakes or something :p

Glad you got something sorted too! And 1:19 to 1 low range is better than nothing - at least then it can be changed to something better... But if he doesn't have to touch it even better!

Cheers

Bennie
Yeah man, I do appreciate your willingness to try and help me out! There are plenty Ausubaru folks to thank it's true, and I hope you all know who you are! ;)

I agree that aven a 19% reduction is better than No reduction, and would typically have been cheaper and certainly more plentiful, BUT Taza found a score of a deal on this one, so certainly no complaints!

The kindness of the Suby community continues!
-S. Wright-

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:32 pm

You will be blown away by the 1.44:1 DR...I have a standard Foz apart from raised springs & its allowed me to crawl up some VERY steep climbs :mrgreen:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Owner SubieLiftOz, lift kits for Subarus :twisted:

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

taza
General Member

Post by taza » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:04 pm

nachaluva wrote:You will be blown away by the 1.44:1 DR...I have a standard Foz apart from raised springs & its allowed me to crawl up some VERY steep climbs :mrgreen:
+1. Without it the foz would be pretty usesless. Well ALOT of burnt clutch. the 1.447.1 pretty much halves the gearing :cool:

I am looking at quotes too Suparu. Just awaiting replys from the compaines.

Taza

suparu

Post by suparu » Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:04 pm

taza wrote:+1. Without it the foz would be pretty usesless. Well ALOT of burnt clutch. the 1.447.1 pretty much halves the gearing :cool:

I am looking at quotes too Suparu. Just awaiting replys from the compaines.

Taza
We've got it finalized now!! Now it's just a matter of time! Time for Taza to drop it at the shippers, then shipper's time to get it over here, then time to put it in :D

we're getting there!! :cool:
-S. Wright-

Return to “Engine, Gearbox and Diff”