ea81 with ea82 efi

Get the most out of your Engine / Gearbox with these handy hints ...
satori

ea81 with ea82 efi

Post by satori » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:33 pm

Hey everyone. I was wondering if the ea81 is compatible with the ea82 fuel injection. I just bought a volkswagen which has a subaru conversion done to it but would like it to be fuel injected. Also what else can I do to give it abit more performance. I know it will never be no power house but would be good to get alittle more HP.
thanks

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:48 pm

G'day satori!

I dunno if you can do it with the EA82 MPFI setup - where there's a will there's a way. The injectors are batch fire from what I've been told. This means that two fire at the same time twice through the cycle...

I have heard of the single port fuel injected EA82 setup being matted up to the EA81. The big problem for this conversion is that we didn't get the SPFI units in oz, US would be the best bet to finding one of these. The other option is to use the Holden Camira's Single port fuel injection, again there's a bit of work involved in this setup.

As for a power upgrade: Look into the EJ motor and its EFI setup. Far superior to the EA's and can be found in 1.6 right up to 2.5 litres in capacity. There are also many VW's getting around with an EJ power plant.

Hope this helps you out a bit.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:41 pm

If you can find a way to install 2 injectors in each intake runner,.. you are well on the way to fuel injecting your EA81

Make an adapter to go between the MPFi throttle body and the flange where your carby was (you might be able to incorporate your 4 injectors here)

You will need to modify an MPFi distributor to fit the EA81 (just a bit of grinding to the mounting flange)

You will need the MPFi wiring harness and all associated sensors. (Air flow meter, coolant temp, distributor, coil and amplifier, throttle sensor, throttle switch, aux air valve, fast idle solenoid, purge solenoid, possibly more.

If you are keen, im happy to give guidance to you.
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

phillatdarwin

Post by phillatdarwin » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:03 pm

just fit a 2 hand wolf3d to it as all u need is air temp , water temp , disi pick up and ex
x02 pick up and that is all

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:13 pm

El_Freddo wrote:G'day satori!

I dunno if you can do it with the EA82 MPFI setup - where there's a will there's a way. The injectors are batch fire from what I've been told. This means that two fire at the same time twice through the cycle...

I have heard of the single port fuel injected EA82 setup being matted up to the EA81. The big problem for this conversion is that we didn't get the SPFI units in oz, US would be the best bet to finding one of these. The other option is to use the Holden Camira's Single port fuel injection, again there's a bit of work involved in this setup.

As for a power upgrade: Look into the EJ motor and its EFI setup. Far superior to the EA's and can be found in 1.6 right up to 2.5 litres in capacity. There are also many VW's getting around with an EJ power plant.

Hope this helps you out a bit.

Cheers

Bennie

yeah, I've heard of this easy setup is to use JD 1.8 SPFI which can be found between 1986-1987 Camira that they have "carby" style manifold but its actually SPFI which is controlled by delco ECM. Make sure its 1.8EI because people often mistaken its 1.6 litre, 1.6 litre is carby, not SPFI. (only way to find out if its 1.6 or 1.8 is to check the stamped information that is on the heads near distributor.

Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1995 Liberty "Rallye" - 5MT AWD, LSD - *written off 25/8/06 in towing accident.
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page
Sold at 385,000kms in July 2011.
2007 Liberty BP Wagon, 2.5i automatic

dfoyl

Post by dfoyl » Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:55 am

1989 Brumby - Shiny new red paint, stroked EJ20 phase 2 SOHC with Darton sleeves bored to EJ22, Wiseco high-compression pistons, Delta 2000 grind cams , EJ/XT6 5 stud with WRX 4/2 pots, 5-speed, 86 GTS seats and so much more.
Contact me for reproduction XT6 hubs...and EA82 rear discs.

discopotato03

Post by discopotato03 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:44 am

I have to wonder sometimes if Subaru used single point fuel injection on some EA81's/82's purely for emissions compliance . I don't know if there's any worthwhile power increase to be had by doing it . I don't see SPFI as a system that breaths much if any better because it still uses the same single inlet port heads .

A while back people at USMB were trying to figure out if they could modify twin inlet port MPFI EA82 heads to work with rockers on EA81 cases . I don't think there was any joy in the end anyway .

The choices you seem to end up with is turbo or twin carb heads or if wealthy the four port heads which are probably the best option .
It starts to make an EJ18 or 20 look like a good idea .

Damn Subaru for not making a L Series or early Lib ute .

A .

mattl200

Post by mattl200 » Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:49 pm

Suparoo wrote:If you can find a way to install 2 injectors in each intake runner,.. you are well on the way to fuel injecting your EA81
http://www.efihardware.com/products/c86 ... and-Bosses

would need someone to weld in to the alloy manifold but here it is
and in aus to
- 92 brumby, ej22, MT5AWD, lseries low range, centre diff lock, glf5 dash, 5 stud conversion
lifted 3" front 2" rear all rolling round on 27" khumo Kl71's
more in progress ie:adaptronic ecu and sc14 supercharger

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:20 pm

here is a heavily modified ea81 with fuel injection

http://www.airtrikes.net/engines/large/subaru7_l.jpg

notice the direct drive for the propeller

and have a look at the last motor here

showthread.php?p=123292#post123292

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten