MPFI surging since rebuild - Ruby Scoo

Get the most out of your Engine / Gearbox with these handy hints ...
El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon May 14, 2007 12:51 pm

Injectors and fuel regualtor have been changed and now there is only a small feel of it under hard acceleration, really only feeling it from the mid to high range of revs.

Point, I'll be doing the plugs next and if that doesn't work i'll be looking at the fuel filter then the fuel pump itself.

Cheers
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Matatak

Post by Matatak » Fri May 25, 2007 12:31 am

is it a turbo and if so does it start the surging when the turbos kiking in?

i have driven a GTi-R that the fuel pipe from the filter in engine bay was ever so slighty bent on it culdnt increase the fuel flow enough when the turbo was tryin to kik in so it surged pretty badly.

i no u did say it was pretty much gone now but still just my experience in a bent fuel pipe that may or may not help u ;)

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri May 25, 2007 1:16 pm

Thanks Matatak,

Its just a standard MPFI but the problem has arisen again. And i think it went better with the other injectors in it. I'm now starting to look at fuel filter when funds permit, if its not that next will be the fuel pump as it has been making funny noises since the rebuilt engine was put in - i don't think 2 months of sitting around did it any good.
Cheers

32ford

Post by 32ford » Sat May 26, 2007 1:01 am

You didn't happen to fit an oil soaked pod filter did you? it only takes about a day to coat the hotwire in oil and screw it up.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon May 28, 2007 10:51 am

32ford wrote:You didn't happen to fit an oil soaked pod filter did you? it only takes about a day to coat the hotwire in oil and screw it up.
Nah, still running the standard paper air filter. But i did clean the AFM with some carbie cleaner - i read some where on here its the best way to clean them. The last (dead) engine covered it in oil and all sorts of crap... Could this be it coupled with a dodgy oxy sensor (had the same sorta sh*t pass it too)?

Cheers

32ford

Post by 32ford » Mon May 28, 2007 10:38 pm

the guy doing my engineers report says that once the sensors are coated in oil they are a throw away.( the sensors on import engines have to match the engines and subaru Australia doesn't keep them so they are hard to get .)

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue May 29, 2007 10:31 am

So it could be a combination of airflow metre and oxy sensor... great, they're probabily the two most expensive sensors apart from the dizzy.

The oxy is on the "to replace list" and i'm also looking at this for the fuel pump.

Cheers

boyce

Post by boyce » Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:37 am

I have a subaru XT 1986 with the ea82 turbo, exact same problem...
Surging and hesitation sometimes, very noticble under full throttle from around 2800-3500 rpm or so, then it goes away above 3500rpm...

I made a thread about it upder troubleshooting also.
Will be watching this thread.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:18 pm

boyce wrote:Will be watching this thread.
Sorry to say but I dunno when the next post about this will be apart from this one. Last post was in May last year. I learned to live with the problem.

The current update is that i'm waiting for funds to fix up this engine as it over heated last year a did a head gasket... I'm currently running a carbie that i've shoe-horned in there...

Cheers

Bennie

Return to “Engine, Gearbox and Diff”