Life expectancy of CV joints on a lifted vehicle.

Get the most out of your Engine / Gearbox with these handy hints ...
tim_81coupe
General Member

Life expectancy of CV joints on a lifted vehicle.

Post by tim_81coupe » Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:49 pm

Just wondering what you guys term as normal life expectancy of a front CV joint on a lifted vehicle. I have been wondering this for a while, especially now as I'm again driving around in 1WD (right rear axle, welded diff) while I wait until the weekend to get a chance to put the fronts back in. I haven't had a front last more than about 4500km's since lifting my car (16000km ago!).
Car is an MY wagon, but I'm keen to hear about the L stuff too.

Tim82

Post by Tim82 » Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:14 pm

Hi

i've only had to replace the right front once and the left front once in the four years that ive had my MY wagon.

its been lifted for about 2-3 years of that, cant quite remember :roll:

Thats a BYB 3 inch lift + longer travel suspension

Cheers Tim

BlackMale
General Member

Post by BlackMale » Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:54 am

Yer Tim you should be getting more then 5k on em. Something is not right in there if thats the case.

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:13 am

how hard are you pushing your shafts?

If you have a 2" body lift with 4" strut lift.. your not going to get long out of them, especially in a FWD car. On the other hand, If you have a standard kit with standard driveshaft angles theres no reason they shouldnt last..

AWD really helps with driveshaft life, as the load is spread to all four shafts all the time. I am squeezing an extra inch of angle out of my front shafts, and about 2 1/2" out of my rear shafts and i havnt had any issues so far. My car is a liberty though

PeeJay

Post by PeeJay » Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:42 am

The MY shafts are already at a crazy angle without a lift, where the L series ones seem to be much better. I was actually quite surprised at the difference when I first got my RX.

Oversteer

Post by Oversteer » Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:20 pm

Are the kings springs you guys use std hieght ?..... maybe using a softer factory style spring would be better(touring wagon spring are comfy!).... I found the kings to be a bit hard and they don`t let the suspension relax at any time..... thats probally whats killing your joints, where you getting your replacements from, are they new or re-con...big diffrence !

OS
MY05 GT-STI DCCD 6spd 13.88at98.7
88 FJ62 Cruiser-5.0ChevTPI TT,6psi,Hi6,044,Wolf3dV4,FMIC

BlackMale
General Member

Post by BlackMale » Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:48 pm

O/S i have been on Kings and KYB for years and no probs... actually i really enjoy the firmer ride (personal pref) however yes the starting condition of the shafts (new vs 2nd hand) will make a huge diff in the long run.

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Sat Nov 12, 2005 2:43 pm

Yeah somethings not right there....

The old MY's suspension geometry shouldn't be too far off stock standard (only the springs making a slight difference I guess). And they aren't getting a butt-load of power chucked at them either (EA82 - worst motor ever).

Mabey you should make a one-time investment at a CV joint place. Pay for some to be installed, then you can just constantly claim warranty and never have to pay again!

tim_81coupe
General Member

Post by tim_81coupe » Sun Nov 13, 2005 4:54 pm

AndrewT wrote:Mabey you should make a one-time investment at a CV joint place. Pay for some to be installed, then you can just constantly claim warranty and never have to pay again!
I wouldn't do that because I accept that my car has more power than standard, is lifted and as such the angles are most likely out, runs bigger tyres and is offroaded often. All these factors would adversely affect the life of my CV joints.

I think I have the answers I was after. Thanks guys.

smoov

Post by smoov » Sun Nov 13, 2005 7:01 pm

honestly, anything over 5000kms on a lifted, tuned and modified offroader is good enough for me.
1998 Subaru Legacy GTB

Return to “Engine, Gearbox and Diff”