VERY excessive release bearing noise (FIXED!)

Get the most out of your Engine / Gearbox with these handy hints ...
ToyRX

VERY excessive release bearing noise (FIXED!)

Post by ToyRX » Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:56 am

Ok, so my first attempt at changing a pull type clutch is not really stacking up as one of my better excapades... :oops:

EJ20T(G) Rally Car, WRX Flywheel, TT Clutch kit, RS Gearbox

This is what I did - assembled flywheel,clutch plate, preasure plate onto engine, located release bearing on fork (with pivot installed) and left on G-box shaft.
Put engine back in and bolt everything up, I then pushed the fork toward the firewall in order to move the release bearing toward the p-plate with the idea that it would locate and lock into the cage on the P-plate..... it did not attach itself as there seemed to be insufficient travel in the slot.
So I removed starter motor and pivot shaft and tried again, still no luck so I pulled the fork up off the bearing and then used it to push the bearing from the back onto the p-plate, I felt it click into place so then tried to get the fork located back on the right side of the bearing. If felt ok and was soild apart from the ~5mm play assoiated with the cage in the p-plate.

Problem is now when i disengage the clutch the release bearing screams bloody murder and is sounds like it is not turning at all, any idea what I have done and how to fix it, I am hoping I can leave the engine in and just fiddle with the leaver and pivot but was after some input before i tried this.
85 Leone RX EJ20T Rally Car - plus spare rolling shell
91 Facelift 2.2 GX 4WD Legacy - SOLD
96 RSB Legacy

ToyRX

Post by ToyRX » Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:04 am

Dont worry guys, a couple of hours fiddling last night and its now all good :D :D
I think I might of had only one tine of the fork located and the other one not catching the "hook" so when the bearing was loaded up it was twisted and jambed.

Took the car for a "test drive" last night afterwards.... fun :twisted:
85 Leone RX EJ20T Rally Car - plus spare rolling shell
91 Facelift 2.2 GX 4WD Legacy - SOLD
96 RSB Legacy

Kev

Post by Kev » Sat Nov 05, 2005 1:59 pm

Scary 8O
I hope you didn't damage anything.

Return to “Engine, Gearbox and Diff”